The Quiet Isle Theory

OberynBlackfyre

The Elder Brother said:"I fought for Prince Rhaegar, though he never knew my name." Rhaegar would have definitely known the names of the members of the KG.

That sounds very similar to whole "Theon Durden" theory too, if Rheagar pulls the whole "I am no longer Rhaegar" act

• 4 months later...

This may be insignificant but I'll throw it out there for the hell of it: When the EB is walking Brienne to the women's cottages on the QI, he asks her what she hopes to find at Saltpans. The exchange reads:

"A girl," she told him. "A highborn maid of three-and-ten, with a fair face and auburn hair."

"Sansa Stark." The name was softly said.

I don't know why this stuck out to me, but it just did. He could've said the name softly to avoid being overheard, but as far as I can tell at this point they are separated from most of the other people on the QI. "The name was softly said" suggests a sadness, or a recognition of some sort. I don't know. Any thoughts?

• 1 year later...

I know this topic hasn't had movement in a while, but I had to say it somewhere....doesn't the season 4 finale more or less cement this theory?!

I was scratching my head for bloody ages wondering WHY they had made Sandor's final battle be with Brienne...it just seemed so ridiculous, it really irritated me. Sure, they can't keep introducing secondary characters and expect people to remember names, but the mixing of those two just felt wrong.

Then I realised...they're doing it so that when Brienne arrives at the Quiet Isle later in her quest, she will RECOGNISE The Hound as the Gravedigger. That way TV audiences will believe the story/connection without all of the hinting we got in the books. Since the showrunners have been given the eventual ending for each major character, it makes sense they'd leave things open the way they did.

For me, this more or less confirms that The Hound survives his wound - with the aid of Elder Brother - and Brienne's recognition of him in the show becomes much more realistic to viewers who have just watched an epic (for them) albeit confusing (for book readers) battle between the two. She's not likely to forget him...

haha a little too romantic if you ask me...in his story arc I feel like it's either one or the other. He either hears about Sansa and then goes to help her, or he goes to face UnGregor because of old hates. Given that the EB said that the Hound is at rest, I feel that his choice would probably go to try and help Sansa, if he even makes that choice. I firmly believe he might die trying to protect her or help her, but in no way is she ever going to see him in a romantic light lol

I dunno, she thinks about him a little too much to be so sure of that.

The other potential is they convolute the story, instead of Brienne being led to believe that the Hound is dead by the Elder Brother, they have Brienne and Pod rescue the Hound and end up delivering him to Elder Brother on the Quiet Isle. This makes the most likely way that Sandor can survive as Brienne and Pod are the only ones within 10 miles of where Arya left him.

The other potential is they convolute the story, instead of Brienne being led to believe that the Hound is dead by the Elder Brother, they have Brienne and Pod rescue the Hound and end up delivering him to Elder Brother on the Quiet Isle. This makes the most likely way that Sandor can survive as Brienne and Pod are the only ones within 10 miles of where Arya left him.

Really hope they don't go this way with it...but yes, that is a strong possibility. Brienne's wanderings won't play well on screen, I suppose, introducing yet more secondary characters that they won't want to keep naming.

However, I still think they might leave The Hound offscreen, but still mentioned by (maybe) Arya as she talks about the world she left behind, therefore kept 'alive' in the minds of the viewers, making it more of a big reveal when he returns later in the series.

Hope springs eternal! And it is the only thing keeping me from outright hating that season finale at the moment.

I know this topic hasn't had movement in a while, but I had to say it somewhere....doesn't the season 4 finale more or less cement this theory?!

I was scratching my head for bloody ages wondering WHY they had made Sandor's final battle be with Brienne...it just seemed so ridiculous, it really irritated me. Sure, they can't keep introducing secondary characters and expect people to remember names, but the mixing of those two just felt wrong.

Then I realised...they're doing it so that when Brienne arrives at the Quiet Isle later in her quest, she will RECOGNISE The Hound as the Gravedigger. That way TV audiences will believe the story/connection without all of the hinting we got in the books. Since the showrunners have been given the eventual ending for each major character, it makes sense they'd leave things open the way they did.

For me, this more or less confirms that The Hound survives his wound - with the aid of Elder Brother - and Brienne's recognition of him in the show becomes much more realistic to viewers who have just watched an epic (for them) albeit confusing (for book readers) battle between the two. She's not likely to forget him...

I don't think Brienne is going to the Fair Isle tbh - it seems that most of her travelogue has just got cut short in the show. Also, some things work much better in a book than on TV and Brienne meeting the Hound would be way too obvious on the screen, a bit along the lines of Arstan/Ser Barristan. Even if Brienne din't recognise him, the viewers would for sure and that just takes all the mystery out of the story. The appeal of the Fair Isle storyline was the ambiguity as after reading it you still don't really know his fate.

That being said, I think that was done perfectly in the show as if they wanted the Hound unambiguously dead they would have had Arya kill him since that makes much better sense concerning the buddy relationship they have on the show. They even have him say that unless there's a measter around he's toast (Ha! Cue the Elder Brother going on walk in the hills).

My baseless theory is that the Elder Brother is the stranger come again, and everyone at the quiet isle is in purgatory.

Ooouufff that's freaky but could well be so,the name quiet isle does suggest something like this I reckon?

screw that...island of lost was purgatory...that show was a huge waste of time

Amen!!!

I can see why the purgatory idea might hold some sway, but I think it's too calm and peaceful to be a real 'purgatory' - it's just a place where the soul can find a bit of peace. Hence The Hound dying and Sandor living.

A spoiler tag would of been nice, not everyone who wants to see the show has. Now it's spoiled.

:frown5:

A spoiler tag would of been nice, not everyone who wants to see the show has. Now it's spoiled.

:frown5:

Very sorry about that. In fairness, you probably could have stopped reading after the first line because I mention that the season 4 finale confirms the theory, so therefore spoiler OF the season finale is implied.

But you're dead right - spoiler tags should have been used, and I apologise!

The director of the episode claims that from his point of view Sandor is dead. He claims it should be self evident that he couldn't have survived.

So taking that in mind, we have the following possibilities:

• D&D intended what you are saying, but the director never got the memo.
  • The director flat out lied, and knows Sandor will return.
  • D&D know from GRRM that Sandor is actually dead.
  • D&D know from GRRM that Sandor is not dead, but also that he is not important, so decided to kill him.
  • D&D know from GRRM that Sandor is not dead, but don't know his importance for the rest of the story, so felt it okay to kill him (yet leave it open in case he must return).
  • D&D don't know if Sandor is dead or not.

The director of the episode claims that from his point of view Sandor is dead. He claims it should be self evident that he couldn't have survived.

Not to be nitpicky (even though that's exactly what I'm about to be!), but didn't he say 'The Hound' was dead...which is what the Elder Brother says too. Again, we can take this to mean that The Hound is dead, but Sandor is alive. Therefore the director can say The Hound is dead with a straight face...

Bugger the show. Bugger D. Bugger the other D.

This is an old topic and the issue of the Hound being dead versus Sandor being dead was discussed on page one, two years ago.

You don't think the choices made on the show influence how we're thinking about theories - based on the fact Martin has told the showrunners the eventual fate of the characters? Because I certainly do. This is one of my favourite theories, so I just wanted to chat about it with like-minded thinkers, and this was the best topic I had found on it.

If you don't want to discuss it the simple answer is probably just not to discuss it...

Is there a theory about the Elder Brother, who he is? Anyone notable? Still a Targ loyalist deep down? I mean, obviously he has another identity -- not necessarily secret, to us yes, but we are only the poor readers...

He did fight on the trident alongside royalists forces; received a blow that he never saw coming, knocking him unconscious -- was then striped of his armor, and thrown into the river to wash up on the island.

He shaves his head.... has a big square face, veined red nose; a strong jaw and shrewd eyes....was a knight...Does that sound like anyone we know? Could he be....Ser Jonothor Darry? why does he need to shave his head? is he balding? is it aesthetic? practical? or does it have a noticeable color? or is he just a random guy?

....could he be a descendent from Dunk? Third son of a knight, in a family of knights? from the wiki:

The Elder Brother was once a knight. His father and his family had all been knights. He was the third son of a knight and had nothing to offer the woman he wanted to marry but the shield, sword and horse of his knighthood. He fought for House Targaryen at the Battle of the Trident where he was knocked unconscious. Others thought him dead so they stripped his armor and possessions and dumped his body into the river. He floated downstream where he woke up naked on the Quiet Isle. He spent the next ten years in silence.

Because of her shield, and height, Brienne has been considered as a descendent from Ser Duncan....But, if the "Elder Brother" did give his shield to the woman he loved? could it be the way, the shield ended up in Brienne's possession? (through her mother...?)...

EDIT: spelling

Archived