248 replies to this topic

#121 Howdyphillip

Howdyphillip

Boomer Sooner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,383 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:32 AM

Saw it tonight at the midnight premiere /biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Review coming up once I'm awake again, but in general, it was great /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Where did it premier tonight? I have to wait until Friday here in Texas...

#122 Melonica Stormborn

Melonica Stormborn

Mother of Cereals, Breaker of Biscuits

• Members
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:43 AM

It will premiere here tomorrow (Thursday local time) but we ran out of tickets for good seats (I'm a Sheldon Cooper in terms of movie house seating) and had to pick a Friday LFS. I'm quite excited to see this.

#123 Crown

Crown

just another soldier on a road to nowhere

• Banned
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:12 AM

It premiered last night in The Netherlands, but I'll see it on Friday. Getting more excited every day, especially after watching all the production videos.

#124 Alytha

Alytha

The spirit I, which evermore denies

• Members
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:30 AM

Phillip,
it premiered in Luxembourg last night. Probably Belgium too, as we have the same distributor, I think.

#125 Alytha

Alytha

• Members
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

Hobbit review /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Spoiler

#126 Night Gathers

Night Gathers

Heart of Winter

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

Saw it last night. I must say it was the best movie I've ever seen. I know it might appear very cliche to say so, but seriously, it was so well made. The effects, 48FPS, the 3D, the story, the acting; the whole package was brilliant.
I had read more negative reviews concerning the 48FPS, than positive ones and that people had gotten sick and whatnot - I'm happy to say that no one I've spoken to had those thoughts, they all thought it was great, including me.

I personally think these three movies will be better than the LOTR trilogy; but that's my opinion.

Edited by Night Gathers, 12 December 2012 - 12:20 PM.

#127 The Anti-Targ

The Anti-Targ

Level 20 Social Justice Mage, with melee ability

• Members
  • 4,799 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

Spoiler

It's interesting that one of the most scathing reviews I've read (from a NZ publication, which shows not all NZ reviewers are brown-noseing Sir Peter) hated the prologue because it gave the viewer knowledge before [young] Bilbo. He also hated the faux jeopardy scenes that Bilbo was put into, because, well it's a trilogy and the movie is called 'The Hobbit' so Bilbo is never going to be in any real mortal danger. Of course same thing could be said about all the faux jeopardy that happens with Bilbo in the first 2/3 of the Book itself. And given everyone knowsBilbo is in LOTR there's never any feeling of personal dread for Bilbo's life. Which is why having old Bilbo appear in the prologue doesn't break the movie's tension. 'Tis the nature of a prequel that a lot of the seemlingly life threatening situations are known not to be ahead of time.

#128 DaveSumm

DaveSumm

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

There must be hundreds of movies you could say that about......any Bond film for a start. Any film that you ever watch that you know has a sequel basically, any prequel....

#129 Alytha

Alytha

• Members
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

Anti-Targ,
I really didn't mind old Bilbo and Frodo. It made a nice connection to the LOTR trilogy.

Spoiler

#130 Which Tyler

Which Tyler

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

Some of us have to wait till late January /sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
It's doing a massive run of 4 days in our theatre, and it's not worth hiring a car specifically to see this film further afield (though we might strike it lucky and watch whilst at Mum's over crimble... just NOT with her!*)

* watched FOTR with her, she went in expecting it to basically be a advert for NZ tourist board, and insisted the the entire cinema knew where each and every identifiable scene was shot; and emerged disappointed that there weren't more to tell everyone about. Won't be doing that again in a hurry

#131 Lupigis

Lupigis

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

Saw it tonight with the kids (aged 12 and 9). They liked it a lot, but (to my pride) were a bit annoyed with some of the departures from the novel, and I basically felt the same.

My general impression was that it was very well done and relatively faithful to the movie, but that The Hobbit isn't quite long enough for three movies, giving it a somewhat drawn-out feeling.

Spoiler

Other than that I don't have too much to say, really. It's The Hobbit by Peter Jackson, pretty much as expected. Another year to the next movie...

Edited to fix dumb name mixup!

Edited by Lupigis, 13 December 2012 - 03:16 PM.

#132 Happy Ent

Happy Ent

Godfather of the Weirwoods

• Members
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

Loved it.

#133 Roose Boltons Pet Leech

Roose Boltons Pet Leech

Blood-sucking Aristocrat

• Members
  • 9,661 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

As far as I'm concerned, they should film the Silmarillion.

After what Jackson did to Denethor, he does not deserve to be let anywhere near Maedhros.

#134 Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Consul

• Members
  • 6,551 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

Can't wait till tonight !!

#135 Howdyphillip

Howdyphillip

Boomer Sooner

• Members
  • 6,383 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

I had to buy my ticket for a 3d showing tonight if I wanted to see it in HFR. I am a little dissapointed, as it was announced that they would be showing the movie in all formats. I really hate 3d...

#136 Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Consul

• Members
  • 6,551 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Yeah i hate 3d too, I'm just seeing it regular or whatever.

#137 cseresz.reborn

cseresz.reborn

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Official Hobbit domestic counts: 4045 thtrs incl 3160 thtrs in 3D (6500 scrns) incl 461 HFR & 326 Imax.

#138 Night Gathers

Night Gathers

Heart of Winter

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

The 3D wasn't annoying in the Hobbit at all. There were no bad pop-outs or anything that you notice at first, it just leveled the environment in a realistic way - certainly something I'd recommend choosing if available.

#139 Arataniello

Arataniello

Filibustering vigilantly with a ululating contralto

• Board Moderators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

Spoiler

Other than that I don't have too much to say, really. It's The Hobbit by Peter Jackson, pretty much as expected. Another year to the next movie...

That's one hell of a departure from the book!

#140 Arataniello

Arataniello

Filibustering vigilantly with a ululating contralto

• Board Moderators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Spoiler

This may be helpful for those who are not as au fait with the LotR appendices as others.

http://tolkiengatewa...House_of_Durin\

From the sounds of the review above, certain relationships in the tree may have been altered, both for Thorin's ancestors and

Spoiler

Reply to this topic