Favourite Shakespeare Villain?

andrew_

There's also reason to believe Iago was homosexual and had feelings for Othello. Act 3, Scene 3, Iago, pledging his loyalty to Othello, tells him, “I am your own forever”. Definate sexual undertones imo

haha thanks Jamies Sand Snakes! :)

Edmund. Bad and funny. But you sympathize with him for being a bastard.

I like the bit where he's solliloquizing about whether he should sleep with Goneril or Regan:

'To both these sisters have I sworn my love...

...Which of them shall I take?

Both? one? or neither?'

Years ago I was at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford when a drunk in the audience shouted 'F*** the one with the big knockers!'

Edmund. Bad and funny. But you sympathize with him for being a bastard.

I like the bit where he's solliloquizing about whether he should sleep with Goneril or Regan:

'To both these sisters have I sworn my love...

...Which of them shall I take?

Both? one? or neither?'

Years ago I was at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford when a drunk in the audience shouted 'F*** the one with the big knockers!'

That is perfection.

edmund is small-fry. cordelia is the true Evil of KL.

Huh? That just seemsi

that particular line may not do all the required work, but there's a fairly standard reading of othello that makes same-sex desire one of the engines of the conflict. i can't recall how that argument goes or whether i was persuaded by it, though.

edmund is small-fry. cordelia is the true Evil of KL.

Huh? That just seemsi

that particular line may not do all the required work, but there's a fairly standard reading of othello that makes same-sex desire one of the engines of the conflict. i can't recall how that argument goes or whether i was persuaded by it, though.

In my reinterpretation of King Lear, 'Cordelia' is the source of much of the evil in the book. (I am writing a fantasy novel that is loosely based around King Lear).

I have to say, she was very ignorant. You'd think she'd have realised what shit she'd cause by not playing her father's game.

if you think Iago is Shakespeare's most motiveless villain, you've obviously unfamiliar with Titus.

Aaron the Moor makes Iago look like a Saint.

That is a fair point. And Titus Andronicus is right up there with ASOIAF in terms of blood and gunk levels - at least Ramsay hasn't yet cut off anyone's tongue AND hands!

That is a fair point. And Titus Andronicus is right up there with ASOIAF in terms of blood and gunk levels - at least Ramsay hasn't yet cut off anyone's tongue AND hands!

I hate that scene!!!!!!

I also very much remember a goody-two-shoes Christian in my college finding the reference to rape in that play humorous. I was much appalled.

But then, Titus was an earlier play. If you believe Shakespeare is one person, then it's obviously when he was going through his angsty stages of writing, which we all go through.

If you believe he was more than one... then he didn't write it! Brilliant!

I hate that scene!!!!!!

I also very much remember a goody-two-shoes Christian in my college finding the reference to rape in that play humorous. I was much appalled.

But then, Titus was an earlier play. If you believe Shakespeare is one person, then it's obviously when he was going through his angsty stages of writing, which we all go through.

If you believe he was more than one... then he didn't write it! Brilliant!

ha, reference? More like, references. Also, you know,, all the actual rape that occurs.

Archived