This Small Question Thing

Angalin

I keep thinking about the man on the horse that stopped in the deserted village up north. I forgot what the village name is, but it was a village that was deserted after wildings kept coming into it. It was that chapter in which Jon is there with Ygritte and other wildings, and the wildings demand Jon kill the stranger. Do we ever find out who he was?

Also, about Harrenhal. Well, it seems the curse of every person holding the castle meets a terrible end. Though Littlefinger was named lord at one point, it appears he's never actually been to Harrenhal. Could he still be cursed by Harrenhal even so?

Maesters forge their own chains in case of emergencies can Maesters be Smiths of last resort?

In the previous thread, I asked "Did the Brackens and the Blackwoods fight for the same side during Robert's Rebellion?" Seeing as we find out in Feast that they will take any excuse to get one over on the other (well the Brackens will at least).

After reading some of your replies, I believe that they must have.

Considering that the Darrys, Goodbrooks, Rygers, Mootons and the Whents all fort for the Targaryens, Hoster Tully must have had a sizeable force to be worth two marriage contracts from two of the Great Houses. So the Brackens, Blackwoods, Mallisters, Pipers and Vances must have taken Robert's cause because of their loyalty to Hoster.

We also know the latter 5 were far more prominent in the War of the Five Kings and attended the War Councils with Robb and Edmure. Raymun Darry was said to have lost a lot of his holdings after the war so the other Royalists must have aswell.

We know from Feast that even though the Brackens and Blackwoods constantly bicker and then try to make amends through marriages, they always end up reigniting their feud. Is it possible that Jonos and Tytos were amiable or at least friendly up until the rebellion? Could something have happened at the Bells or the Trident or maybe even the Greyjoy Rebelllion to restart the cycle?

We know from Feast that even though the Brackens and Blackwoods constantly bicker and then try to make amends through marriages, they always end up reigniting their feud. Is it possible that Jonos and Tytos were amiable or at least friendly up until the rebellion? Could something have happened at the Bells or the Trident or maybe even the Greyjoy Rebelllion to restart the cycle?

No I think that Brackens and Blackwoods still held enmity towards eachother far before Tytos and Jonos' births. I believe it was said that the feud had begun to fizzle until the about the time of the Blackfyre rebellion. The feud was renewed then because the king (Aegon the Unworthy I believe) had many lady friends. And through them had bastards, ie the Great Bastards. Bittersteel's mother was a Bracken, Bloodraven's mother was a Blackwood. And it was said that the king left his Bracken consort for the Blackwood lady. Thus, renewing the rivalry. Bloodraven and Bittersteel have a well documented hatred of each other for the same reason.

In regards to Sandor being the gravedigger. Is this almost taken as a certainty in the same vain as R+L=J or is it just a plausible theory? Just curious.

I think it's taken as a certainty about as much as R+L=J, in that there are many who believe it and many who don't.

No I think that Brackens and Blackwoods still held enmity towards eachother far before Tytos and Jonos' births. I believe it was said that the feud had begun to fizzle until the about the time of the Blackfyre rebellion. The feud was renewed then because the king (Aegon the Unworthy I believe) had many lady friends. And through them had bastards, ie the Great Bastards. Bittersteel's mother was a Bracken, Bloodraven's mother was a Blackwood. And it was said that the king left his Bracken consort for the Blackwood lady. Thus, renewing the rivalry. Bloodraven and Bittersteel have a well documented hatred of each other for the same reason.

I meant, did Jonos and Tytos put aside their pity squabbling because of their loyalty to Hoster or had their not been a main point of contention between Tytos and Jonos until/after Robert's Rebellion?

In regards to Sandor being the gravedigger. Is this almost taken as a certainty in the same vain as R+L=J or is it just a plausible theory? Just curious.

The evidence is just so overwhelming with Sandor.

It honestly doesn't make sense at this point, for that novice gravedigger to be Sandor Clegane.

I just thought of something. Could Bran and company be taking refuge under Whitetree? Bran describes the cave as seeming to have a whole grove of weirwood trees growing on top of it. The grove in Whitetree is the only one i can think of that has been described. Also the new map of beyond the wall shows a large lake just north of the wall near the Nightfort. Bran and company walk around a large lake when travelling with coldhands. So could it be that Bran and everyone are really close to wall after all?

I just thought of something. Could Bran and company be taking refuge under Whitetree? Bran describes the cave as seeming to have a whole grove of weirwood trees growing on top of it. The grove in Whitetree is the only one i can think of that has been described. Also the new map of beyond the wall shows a large lake just north of the wall near the Nightfort. Bran and company walk around a large lake when travelling with coldhands. So could it be that Bran and everyone are really close to wall after all?

Whitetree has a single weirwood. I'm guessing the grove you're thinking of is the one the NW use to swear their vows when necessary? I've thought the same thing especially since you have Jon thinking how such a grove is unheard of even beyond the Wall.

The problem is Bran and co go uphill quite a bit to reach the cotf's cave. Nothing like that is described by Jon.

I agree, there is no way Sandor isnt the gravedigger. He is big, he has a limp, he likes dogs and his horse is there. Elder Brother knew all about him including Sansa. Everything he says about the Hound being dead can be easily interpreted to refer to Sandor's identity as the Hound, not Sandor himself. This is more certain to me than R + J because there is actual evidence, not just hints.

I've been planning a re-read of all chapters referencing the Night's Watch to try and explore the nature of the vows "I shall take no wife" and "father no children", especially in terms of the brothers who try to sleep with spearwives once the wildlings come through the wall. Are they any previous discussions of this anyone can link me to?

Did Sansa understand completely and totally understand what Lysa said before her death?

That's hard to tell. She barely mentions Lysa after she's dead. I think she definitely understood Lysa was jealous b/c she perceived Sansa as a second Catelyn that Littlefinger was going to become enamored with.

Lol I think I just answered one of my own questions that I had in the last thread. One of them was:

"Also, about Harrenhal. Well, it seems the curse of every person holding the castle meets a terrible end. Though Littlefinger was named lord at one point, it appears he's never actually been to Harrenhal. Could he still be cursed by Harrenhal even so?"

I believe Littlefinger is still cursed by Harrenhal despite not having set foot there. Why? Because Janos Slynt was made Lord of Harrenhal while he was still on the small council, and before he had time to assume actual possession of it, he was hauled off to the Wall on Tyrion's orders. Then he was killed by Jon's hand when he disobeyed him more than once as lord commander. :)

I've been planning a re-read of all chapters referencing the Night's Watch to try and explore the nature of the vows "I shall take no wife" and "father no children", especially in terms of the brothers who try to sleep with spearwives once the wildlings come through the wall. Are they any previous discussions of this anyone can link me to?

I sure that there have been, but only time I have seen it discussed is between us Heretic, and it may not be where you want to go. I found one from early in the year. You may get started again.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/62160-nights-watch-vow/

I think it's taken as a certainty about as much as R+L=J, in that there are many who believe it and many who don't.

I take it as more of a certainty than R+L=J. The hints are way too strong, far more stronger than R+L=J, and the whole trip to Quiet Isle seems almost to give us this end (and I truly believe it's the end) of the story for Sandor.

http://www.mtv.com/v...html#id=1696822 @2:20

Did GRRM just imply that dragons could beat the Others?

For those who haven't watched the video (though I recommend it if you like LotR & aSoIaF both): GRRM was asked "White Walkers or Nazgûl?" and he answered "Nazgûl. They have wings."

That being said, I think dragons need no bolstering interview to be counted as potentially one of the best weapons against the Others. Though I'd expect their fire is much more important than their wings (after all, I do not think the White Walkers can be beaten by sparrows).

Archived