Young Griff Casting -Spoilers For ADwD-

Aegon Targaryen VI

Lots of interesting suggestions! Reeve Carney looks most like how I imagine Aegon when reading the books - (either him or 'Howl' from Howl's Moving Castle, with the slight 'drawback obviously that he's an animation!) - Reeve would be far too busy, presumably, with Penny Dreadful.

William Moseley is a good tip and also Tom Felton, who could be easily cast as a Targ, if his past work as Draco Malfoy is anything to go by. He'd also have decent name recognition without being a mega-star to launch a key new character.

All considered, though, I'd be increasingly surprised to see Aegon get cast at all.

very pretty boy - I could see that - does anyone know who he is or his name, never seen him before but I'm in Australia so we miss out on a lot of British stuff surprisingly our TV is mainly US stuff. Season 5 cast (mostly) has been announced & a few major storylines seem to be missing, maybe we will have to wait for season 6 to see this one, cause no Jon Con, or Septa Lemore either.

When I watched season 1 episode 1 with commentary, D & W said they auditioned & (filmed) Jamie Campbell Bower as both Viserys & Waymar Royce but even though they loved him especially as Viserys didn't go with him. Led me to believe they were saving him for something else Young Griff maybe or a flash back of Rhaegar. If they leave it much longer he will be too old & the Mortal Instruments series might put him out of their budget now, they must seriously have actors begging to do the roles for virtually nothing just for the exposure.

Could point to his importance (or lack of) in future books..

I don't think so, or in other words, not necessarily.

The necessities of adaptation for the box is now becoming more evident to book fans. The books as is, cannot be simply 'lifted' from page to screen. It was always Martin's aim to write an unfilmable series. I reckon there will be more converging of storylines to keep the plot on an even keel and not allow new strands to come into play. I loved series four, but it did feel bursting at the seams at times with only scant minutes spend on some storylines.

His name is Toby Regbo, and it's from a TV show called Reign on The CW network about Mary, Queen of Scots. It's a guilty pleasure of mine, actually, even though it's about as far away from being an actual history as any show that's ostensibly about history can be.

Thank you for making the effort to post & welcome to the Boards, also to OllyS I see you are a newbie too.

I'm personally hoping with the lack of casting of Aegon & his companions (barring any surprises) B & W are saving it for next season which is good I think, as long as they don't "rush" that storyline too much. What intrigues me though is if they delay too long what will happen to Tyrion's arc on the show.

There were some very interesting ideas earlier in this topic, so a lot of the things I expect are more or less based on them. All these are pure speculation, of course, so I may be wrong on many accounts.

I think it is logical not to expect additional casting for events that take place in Dorne and King's Landing, given how both are filmed in Croatia, so cast & crew usually move together. Unfortunately, this probably means that Arianne has been deleted, and quite possibly the three children of Doran Martell are united into one, Tristane. The story could still work, as we may have Tristane initiate the Queenmaking plot, fail, and then be sent to ask for Daenarys's hand, where he dies. This doesn't necessarily mean that Arianne is unimportant in the books, but I will reach to that below. In the meantime, it will be interesting to see whether Obara Sand's role will be expanded - there is logic in that, given the casting (Keisha Castle-Hughes was nominated for an Academy Award for her role in Whale Rider, after all).

All this means that most probably we won't see Aegon, which is not surprising, as there are serious doubts he is genuine in the first place. There is a very elegant solution to Tyrion's story - he simply meets Jorah Mormont earlier, and then we continue as in the books. It also saves the show from portraying the journey on the Rhoyne, which is very sad, but also expected, as the special effects would simply cost too much for a show on a budget and a big cast.

Regarding the Ironborn, I expect them to be there, as someone has already noted, the Iron Islands are filmed in Northern Ireland, and shooting will start later, in order to get a worse weather, which is why casting hasn't been completed yet. I think that only Euron will be cast, while Yara will take the place of Victarion. I'd like to remind that unlike Asha, Yara has given up on Theon and she has most probably left the North. Thus, Euron could still become king (thus giving those leeches a purpose) and send Yara to bring Daenarys and dragons to him, in exchange for rule over the Iron Islands. It would actually make more sense than in the books, since Victarion is already plotting against his brother and there is no love lost between them. Yara, on the other hand, might be won as an ally. In the end, the details don't matter, because Victarion's primary purpose in the books is to bring Daenarys a fleet. Whether it is Victarion or some existing character doing it, like Yara, it's all the same to me.

Finally, I'd like to say a few words about character importance, depending how they are (or aren't) portrayed in the TV series. GRRM has started to say it more often that the absence of a character in the series doesn't mean he or she is not important in the books. I think this doesn't contradict his claim that he has the main character plot lines already worked out (generally, not in detail). The main point here is that many people have probably been mislead that GRRM speaks about most characters. I think that the character plots that are already clear are only those for six main characters - Daenarys, Tyrion, Jon, Sansa, Arya and Bran. All the rest are up in the air, even Jaime and Cersei. Unfortunately, this probably means that GRRM is no way near completing even the sixth book, and the story might once again outgrow the two remaining volumes and we may easily have to wait for an eighth book. This is why Benioff & Weiss are proceeding with the plot as they sit fit, which may diverge from what GRRM has in mind. I think the stories of only those six characters I mentioned will follow the books very close - the rest may turn out to be quite different. The thing is, it's not the producers' fault; they simply don't have a choice, and GRRM obviously doesn't have the story ready for them, even in general detail.

Now, I am not one of those who are blaming GRRM for being a slow writer. As Neil Gaiman quite aptly said it a couple of years ago - GRRM is not my bitch. What I'd like to point out is that the TV series will now start to build its own story, which is not necessarily a bad thing, even if it turns out different from the books. If purists want the story as close to the one in the books as possible, they have only GRRM to blame, I'm afraid. Personally, I intend to enjoy both the TV series and the books, whenever the latter come out.

There were some very interesting ideas earlier in this topic, so a lot of the things I expect are more or less based on them. All these are pure speculation, of course, so I may be wrong on many accounts.

I think it is logical not to expect additional casting for events that take place in Dorne and King's Landing, given how both are filmed in Croatia, so cast & crew usually move together. Unfortunately, this probably means that Arianne has been deleted, and quite possibly the three children of Doran Martell are united into one, Tristane. The story could still work, as we may have Tristane initiate the Queenmaking plot, fail, and then be sent to ask for Daenarys's hand, where he dies. This doesn't necessarily mean that Arianne is unimportant in the books, but I will reach to that below. In the meantime, it will be interesting to see whether Obara Sand's role will be expanded - there is logic in that, given the casting (Keisha Castle-Hughes was nominated for an Academy Award for her role in Whale Rider, after all).

All this means that most probably we won't see Aegon, which is not surprising, as there are serious doubts he is genuine in the first place. There is a very elegant solution to Tyrion's story - he simply meets Jorah Mormont earlier, and then we continue as in the books. It also saves the show from portraying the journey on the Rhoyne, which is very sad, but also expected, as the special effects would simply cost too much for a show on a budget and a big cast.

Regarding the Ironborn, I expect them to be there, as someone has already noted, the Iron Islands are filmed in Northern Ireland, and shooting will start later, in order to get a worse weather, which is why casting hasn't been completed yet. I think that only Euron will be cast, while Yara will take the place of Victarion. I'd like to remind that unlike Asha, Yara has given up on Theon and she has most probably left the North. Thus, Euron could still become king (thus giving those leeches a purpose) and send Yara to bring Daenarys and dragons to him, in exchange for rule over the Iron Islands. It would actually make more sense than in the books, since Victarion is already plotting against his brother and there is no love lost between them. Yara, on the other hand, might be won as an ally. In the end, the details don't matter, because Victarion's primary purpose in the books is to bring Daenarys a fleet. Whether it is Victarion or some existing character doing it, like Yara, it's all the same to me.

Finally, I'd like to say a few words about character importance, depending how they are (or aren't) portrayed in the TV series. GRRM has started to say it more often that the absence of a character in the series doesn't mean he or she is not important in the books. I think this doesn't contradict his claim that he has the main character plot lines already worked out (generally, not in detail). The main point here is that many people have probably been mislead that GRRM speaks about most characters. I think that the character plots that are already clear are only those for six main characters - Daenarys, Tyrion, Jon, Sansa, Arya and Bran. All the rest are up in the air, even Jaime and Cersei. Unfortunately, this probably means that GRRM is no way near completing even the sixth book, and the story might once again outgrow the two remaining volumes and we may easily have to wait for an eighth book. This is why Benioff & Weiss are proceeding with the plot as they sit fit, which may diverge from what GRRM has in mind. I think the stories of only those six characters I mentioned will follow the books very close - the rest may turn out to be quite different. The thing is, it's not the producers' fault; they simply don't have a choice, and GRRM obviously doesn't have the story ready for them, even in general detail.

Now, I am not one of those who are blaming GRRM for being a slow writer. As Neil Gaiman quite aptly said it a couple of years ago - GRRM is not my bitch. What I'd like to point out is that the TV series will now start to build its own story, which is not necessarily a bad thing, even if it turns out different from the books. If purists want the story as close to the one in the books as possible, they have only GRRM to blame, I'm afraid. Personally, I intend to enjoy both the TV series and the books, whenever the latter come out.

There is the possibility that Aegon, Connington, Arianne and maybe even the Greyjoy Bros. haven't been casted as yet or they have been cast and will be revealed somewhat closer to season 5. After all, Aegon is possibly the biggest reveal in the books thus far and it wouldn't be smart of David and Dan to spoil it ahead of time (with casting news) for people who only watch the show.

Of course, we don't know what David and Dan have in store. As you yourself rightfully said, it's all just speculation.

Insightful post.I agree with pretty much most of it.

Great Post!

I just don't see, I don't see how they can cut fAegon, even if he is fake, imposture is still central to the plot, but the main reason I would put forward is this: Greyscale.

Westeros is the main continent where the action of the series plays out (see the opening) and in Westeros we have war, we have death, we will soon start to see the effects of famine... Now we need plague.

I don't buy that the advent of greyscale will have more of an impact if it is just an adjunct to the plot that if it is centred around a character. Someone who has been introduced to the viewers will have to be responsible for the introduction of greyscale in Westeros, for me that is the main reason for the fAegon sub-plot: A vector for disease.

Feel free to disagree.

Archived