R+L = Jon and Meera Reed?

houseHB

This is not an original theory I am borrowing something that I read in another thread that maybe Jon has a twin sibling. Well what if Jon had a fraternal twin sister in Meera Reed? What if Ned had Howland take Meera back to Greywater Watch to raise Meera as his own and Ned took Jon back to Winterfell to raise because bringing two bastards back would seem suspicious? I do not believe that Meera has ever mentioned a mother or Jojen for that matter. In Dance Melissandre sees a vision in her flames where Jon's sister is riding a horse to the wall, well what if she saw Meera making her way to the wall to Jon because I believe at the end of Dance, Jojen aka Howland Reed is about to die and spills the truth to Meera about her true parentage and her brother Jon, which is why Meera was absent at the end of Dance along with Jojen aka Howland.

Way. Too. Star. Wars.

Melisandre didn't "see Jon's sister." She saw a girl on a horse and presumed it was his sister. Big difference. She saw Alys Karstark and just assumed it must be Jon's sister, because that's what she does — jump to wrong conclusions.

I also don't believe that Jojen is Howland.

I think there was one baby at the Tower, and it was Jon, and that's complicated enough. No twins, no switches-within-switches, no double-crosses, no triplets.

No, please no.

It is enough that GRRM has gone with the exceedingly common fantasy trope of the young orphan/bastard/outcast who is raised by people who are not his real parents and his real parents are someone important and it is his destiny to save the world - which I am assuming GRRM is going to do something clever with - but for him to pull the old "but wait...there wasn't just one baby...but two!" thing would just be silly.

And because there is absolutely no foreshadowing or hints of this, it would look like GRRM just pulled it out of his arse - making the whole thing even more lame.

And does Meera look like a Stark? No. Does she look like a Targaryen? No. In real life looks don't mean that much, but in this world we know they mean a lot. Who does she look like? Her brother, Jojen Reed. She is a Reed.

I can see people do not like this theory so that means it will probably end up being true. Remember the actor that plays Theon on the show says that Jon finding out about his parentage is sort of Star Warsish?

You're reading too much into it. "Ultimate hero ends up being raised in secret by his uncle, not knowing the identity of his parents, one of who he's been raised to believe was the enemy." See, Star Wars-like. Without Meera. And there's a difference between borrowing some basic trope from Star Wars, and lifting an actual specific plot point.

And we don't like it because it's crackpot and has no textual evidence.

• 11 months later...

maybe R+L= Jon snow ,but Meera is Neds real bastard and Howland is keeping her for Ned. Since Ned had to pretend lyannas son was his bastard, because it would be fishy if he brought home bastard nonidentical twins?

I'm hoping you're joking, but if not...

Please provide any textual evidence that supports that.

maybe R+L= Jon snow ,but Meera is Neds real bastard and Howland is keeping her for Ned. Since Ned had to pretend lyannas son was his bastard, because it would be fishy if he brought home bastard nonidentical twins?

I am not a doctor but as far as I know, boy and girls are non identical twins.

• 1 month later...

I really like this theory and have been reading it here and on Reddit, and no one has brought up the fact that if/ when Jon Snow comes back alive Jojen could well be dead, and Meera could be going back to the wall solo, on a horse, or Hodors back, fulftheilling Melissandreis prophecy about Jons sister arriving on horseback.

However, at the time, non might not know it as they have no knowledge she is Jons sister at the moment...

damn.

Archived