Cricket XIV

Xray the Enforcer

Great stuff from the Proteas' top order, albeit on an easy-paced batting wicket. And things would be even better if Amla had challenged his incorrect LBW decision.

ETA: Haha and naturally, shortly after I post that, SA lose two quick wickets.

This will still drag out to a draw I think. Aussies might get a bit of a bat tonight but there'll only be two days left. Unless they collapse and follow-on (unlikely on this wicket I think) I don't expect there'll be a result. Just as well South Africa got a good first innings though - it would have been potentially tricky playing a Test with a batsman down (Duminy) but they've avoided that so far.

Cracking start to the Australian innings, Warner removed early and Quiney rising to the challenge from Steyn. Agree with Jeor that the match is likely heading towards a draw, but we're going to see some very competitve cricket in the meantime :thumbsup:.

ETA: Great catch from Steyn and Ponting gone early as well!!

The Aussie batting lineup is looking a bit frail. Without Watson, the only batsman in the top six who is in the prime of their career is Clarke. Ponting and Hussey are both quite old, and then Warner, Quiney and Cowan are all still very new (Warner a bit less so). Both the bowling and batting suffer in comparison to the South Africans. I think the only reason this series might be close is the potential cautiousness of the South Africans.

Its hard to imagine what will happen when Ponting and Hussey finally retires. They are such a stablising and reliable force in the team, I just don't see any decent replacement, much like Warne and McGrath. Dark times ahead :(

On the other hand, It was great to watch Kallis bat, what an amazing career he has had and hopefully continues to have. SA comfortable on top, but unless Aussies collapse, it is hard to see this being anything but a draw.

There were no bowling replacements for Warne and McGrath, although that's hardly surprising given they were all-time greats. After them we made do with Brett Lee and he was ok; then we slid down to Mitchell Johnson (worked for a little while); now we're at Siddle. Now Siddle et al do the best they can, but they wouldn't have got a look-in to the Aussie team 10 years ago.

The same could be said of the batting. Although his form has been sketchy these past few years, Ponting is an all-time great, and Hussey probably close to it. At least we should still have Clarke for a few more years, and one might hope Warner and Watson develop into world-class Test batsmen.

The thing with batting is that I think it takes more time to develop than bowling. Bowling you can normally assess early on whether someone 'has it' or not, even if it's wayward and offline etc you can generally tell whether someone has bowling talent early on in their career. Batting talent can hide itself for a bit...for instance, no one would have picked Steve Waugh to average 50+ in Test cricket in the first few years of his career. Even Ponting and Clarke's averages didn't pass 40+ comfortably until they'd played the game for a few years.

Its hard to imagine what will happen when Ponting and Hussey finally retires. They are such a stablising and reliable force in the team, I just don't see any decent replacement, much like Warne and McGrath. Dark times ahead :(

Dark times? This is called vengeance TWS. Fire and blood. :devil:

Vengeance? I'd say it's the restoration of balance.

True, but that analysis would require me to be unemotional and neutral about Australian cricket. Which is clearly not the case!

On an unrelated note: NZ cricket seems to be in a deep funk at the moment. Hope the Black Caps can turn it around in the test arena, but I doubt it :worried:.

Cowan run out backing up.

The Cricinfo commentators are sledging him for his backing up technique. I haven't seen any of it today and can't comment. Was it a dodgy technique or are they having a cheap shot?

Great day of batting.

Draw the most likely result but South Africa can't win this now, with only a day left. Australia have a very slim chance of winning - try and get to a lead of 100+ in the first half of the morning session, and then give yourself 2.5 sessions to bowl South Africa out and chase any leftovers.

Clarke is doing pretty well by the looks of it. Hussey had a good knock as well. Anyone know the pitch condition? SA attack seems surprisingly subdued.

I hereby submit, your honour, that WS henceforth be known as "Captain Obvious". :P

Archived