Ragnarok

Adam Carmack

If Ragnarok happens many will live on

At least 4 sons of Odin and Thor will live

Gendry, Edrik are the sons of Thor, Not sure about Odin, but bran and Mance seem good candidates

Rickon also lives- he is the celtic God who comes across the sea to recall his family home

Not sure about the women - but Sansa and Arya are rather like the Sun and Mon who get to return

Jon sadly i see as Heimdall (the watcher) and therefore will not survive

Rajnarok is not Ice versus fire but Ice and fire versus the world..

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

GRRM actually uses a lot less Norse mythology than Tolkien. There's so much more to ASOIAF than Norse stuff. It's still fun speculating on it though. I wanted to point out that the Norse also had old gods (the Vanir) and new gods (the Aesir). Among the Vanir were the twins Freya and Freyr, Njord. The Aesir are Thor, Odin, Frigg, Baldr etc. The gods fought against each other in the Aesir-Vanir War. The result was that they unified into a single tribe of gods.

"Odin shot a spear, hurled it over the host;

that was still the first war in the world,

the defense wall was broken of the Æsir's stronghold;

the Vanir, indomitable, were trampling the plain."

I think of this as the war between the First Men and the Children of the Forest.

Also relevant to comparisons between norse mythology and the series is the fact that the Baratheons (throught marriage with the Durrendon line) are supposedly the descendants of a Storm God, and Robert's favored weapon was the warhammer. The founder of house Durrendon was Durran, a name bearing some similarity to the old Nordic "Þórr" who is today known as "Thor". (The D and Th sounds/letters have common origins in the Germanic languages, a category which includes the Nordic languages as well as English).

Also relevant to comparisons between norse mythology and the series is the fact that the Baratheons (throught marriage with the Durrendon line) are supposedly the descendants of a Storm God, and Robert's favored weapon was the warhammer. The founder of house Durrendon was Durran, a name bearing some similarity to the old Nordic "Þórr" who is today known as "Thor". (The D and Th sounds/letters have common origins in the Germanic languages, a category which includes the Nordic languages as well as English).

Yep. The Germans used to worship Donar the God of Thunder. The proto-German word Þunraz means thunder. The Durrendons were the original Kings of the Stormlands a thousand years ago and a Targaryen bastard and general named Baratheon married the last Durrendon queen and took over. The Durrendons were Andals though so I don't know about them being the Storm God's descendants. The first Storm King was Durran who married Elenei, the daughter of the sea god, and built Storm's End. Also don't forget the Lightning Lord Dondarrion.

Lol, i just realised. Durran the Andal married the daughter of the sea god and Baratheon the Targaryen married the daughter of the last Storm King.

There are tons of Ragnorak imagery in ASOIF:

1) The funeral pyre of Baldr has many parallels with the funeral of Drogo

2) A red rooster crows in numerous different lands to announce the beginning of Ragnorak, while a red comet is seen over many lands to mark the independence of the North, Jon's decision to honor his vows, and the rebirth of the dragons

3) Fenrir is a giant wolf kept chained in the underworld. He is only chained when the god Tyr puts his hand in his mouth to distract him while he is chained (and thus loses his hand). Jaime pushes Bran out the tower bringing Bran on the edge of death (the underworld). Jojen has a vision of the winged wolf chained, Bran. Bran breaks free of his chains (probably an allusion to Maester Luwin) when he opens his third eye. In the meantime Jaime loses his hand in a chain of events starting with Bran's fall from the tower.

4) Read Tyrion's chapter in AGOT when he goes to the top of the Wall. The Wall appears as a road (or a bridge) stretching from one horizon to another. The Wall shimmers and changes color. The Wall is the Bifrost bridge (shimmering bridge). In Ragnorak the Bifrost bridge is shattered as many believe the Wall will be in this story.

5) Frey is the god of summer who gave up his magic sword so he could pursue a lovely giantess who lived in the North. An allegory of the Targaryens who ultimately gave up their dragons and adopted the beliefs of the Andals so they could pursue Westeros. Or perhaps Rhaegar who gives up his kingdom in his pursuit of Lyanna? Interestingly, after losing his magic sword, Frey is forced to arm himself with an antler. An allegory of the realm losing the Targaryens and replacing them with the Baratheons (the Stag)?

6) I believe Loki is Mance Rayder, who through trickery will lead the forces of the dead and the Others (Frost Giants) from the land of cold and mist (Niflheimr)into Westeros

Or Loki could be Tyrion, the outcast who lives with the Lannisters (as Loki lived with the Aesir

7) The underworld is possibly represented by Braavos and the Faceless Men, with Arya either being Hel or a Valkryie

8) Dany is Surtr with her flaming sword (dragons) who will pass through the smoking sea of Valyria (Muspell the fiery realm) into Westeros

9) As the series progresses, I think the Midgard Serpent, Jormungandr, is represented by the Iron Islands, Dorne, and the Free Cities which surround Westeros

I posted this in another thread, but I don't think Bloodraven is Odin, though there are lots of similarities. I actually think Odin is the Great Other, because of Mel's vision in aDWD about a tree-man (Bloodraven) and a wolf-faced boy (Bran) being the Great Other's champions, and the fact that Odin is often accompanied by a raven and a wolf.

Also, ( and this theory is my dear, dear baby) I think that Tyr (because of the hand thing) = Jamie = AA ,and Fenrir (because of Jojen's vision of a chained wolf) = Bran = the Night's King, and the story will end with them just as it started with them.

if you're interested in some more literature that inspired GRRM, i recommend to read Maurice Druon's The Iron King. It's the first of 6 Books about the royal Family in the France of the 14th century. a lot of intrigues and paralels. i bought the first two books, as the 6 books are paired in 3 in germany, after GRRM mentioned it. i really had some moments, where i thought, he must have gotten inspiration from this, for example the king gets wounded in an hunting accident and his son is not the nicest fellow to claim the throne.

Archived