Maynard Plumm and Bloodraven

TyrionsFlagon

Oh, and this is how the morning begins just before Bloodraven descends on Whitewalls...

It was almost dawn before the rain let up enough for the combat to take place. The castle yard was a morass of soft mud glistening wetly by the light of a hundred torches. Beyond the field, a gray mist was rising, sending ghostly fingers up the pale stone walls to grasp the castle battlements.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's another gray or grey mist referrences...

In the dream his friends rode with him, as they had in life. Proud Martyn Cassel, Jory's father; faithful Theo Wull; Ethan Glover, who had been Brandon's squire; Ser Mark Ryswell, soft of speech and gentle of heart; the crannogman, Howland Reed; Lord Dustin on his great red stallion. Ned had known their faces as well as he knew his own once, but the years leech at a man's memories, even those he has vowed never to forget. In the dream they were only shadows, grey wraiths on horses made of mist.

So we are meant to know that Bloodraven was witness to the events at the Tower of Joy.

Yeah, I thought it's Bloodraven for sure when I read it. I was kinda disappointed Bloodraven was not more friendly with Dunk when they meet at the end.

Uh

Considering BR's temperament from witnesses I'd say this was a pretty warm reception.

Why do people think BR treated them badly, it seemed to me he treated them like foolish highborn lads, which they essentially are, and then gave them whatever they asked for, bowing to Egg even though he had 100% power in that situation and it would have been 10X smarter for him to lock Egg up.

Seems to me that whole scene was showing BR was not the tool everyone else since the Sworn Sword was talking about him being, and he was a legitimate dude.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought he was Bloodraven, and judging from the fact that Plumm was so central to helping Dunk you'd think they'd forge a friendship and say "bye" to eachother afterwords, but after BR shows up, no more Plumm.

Plumm could have been warged by BR though, if it wasn't him.

Ser Maynard also has some of the best one-liners in ASOIAF. "You have no poetry in your heart, ser"- "You have shit on your shoulder". And my personal favorite: "No man ever truly knows what a new wife will bring him." "Her c**t," said Plumm, "or what would be the point?"

• 3 months later...

When I first read it I couldn't help think Maynard Plumm acted exactly how I thought Bloodraven would, but I just figured I was having a bit of a crackpot theory moment. Glad to see so many people agreeing that Bloodraven was using a glamour.

I love this quote from Bloodraven when he is healing Dunk, and just had to add it in:

"You would be surprised to know how many lords prefer their kings brave and stupid. Daemon is young dashing and looks good on a horse."

I think it raises and interesting question about glamours, that the magic involved is not specific to R'hollors follows, faceless men or followers of the Old Gods.

I doubt Bloodraven is religious, but if he is there is a good chance he does follow the old gods.

So, I recently finished The mystery knight, and came to the same conclusion.

Am I playing too much detective, when pointing out that Bloodraven talks about how bad Dunk was at the joust?

If he wasnt inside, he wouldnt have seen it. If he had a man inside, wouldve that intel be important enough to talk about it?

"He lost, his life is in danger" might be possible, but would his inside man talk to Bloodraven about how bad Dunk did?

Even less likely is, that Bloodraven would say how bad Dunk was at the joust, when he wasnt there to see it, but only heard it from hearsay.

And I dont think that was important enough intel after the "fight" was over, nobody wouldve talked about that with him after the "rebellion."

So, I recently finished The mystery knight, and came to the same conclusion.

Am I playing too much detective, when pointing out that Bloodraven talks about how bad Dunk was at the joust?

If he wasnt inside, he wouldnt have seen it. If he had a man inside, wouldve that intel be important enough to talk about it?

"He lost, his life is in danger" might be possible, but would his inside man talk to Bloodraven about how bad Dunk did?

Even less likely is, that Bloodraven would say how bad Dunk was at the joust, when he wasnt there to see it, but only heard it from hearsay.

And I dont think that was important enough intel after the "fight" was over, nobody wouldve talked about that with him after the "rebellion."

Bloodraven doesn't need to be personally there to see things: he is an accomplished warg with "a thousand eyes and one." He could have watched the joust through a bird, a squirrel, or any other creature in range. There is a theory that the expression "little birds" (that Varys uses) originated from Bloodraven and it referred to literal little birds.

• 4 weeks later...

The moment I first read about Maynard I felt that there was something queer about him but the moment he said:

started wondering if he had chosen the wrong side and how much Bloodraven knows of this conspiracy. The answer to that last is ‘quite a lot.’” Plumm chuckled.

I became sure that he was BR, which is so cool.

Here's a lost of all the evidence I nicked off another site:

1. He knows about who Egg is, and he calls Ser Duncan by his true name - "Dunk".

2. When Dunk first saw him after throwing the lordling down a well, he initially looks like a hooded figure with one bright eye: "Dunk whirled. Through the rain, all he could make out was a hooded shape and a single pale white eye. It was only when the man came forward that the shadowed face beneath the cowl took on the familiar features of Ser Maynard Plumm, the pale eye no more than the moonstone brooch that pinned his cloak at the shoulder.".

3. It turns out that the "eye" is actually a "moonstone brooch big as a hen's egg fastened it at the shoulder". Melisandre disguises that identity of Mance Rayder using a similar method, he wears a ruby round his neck.

4. As Dunk and Plumm were walking back, Dunk notices that "there was something queer about the cast of Ser Maynard's features. The longer Dunk looked, the less he seeemed to see."

5. Afterwards, Plumm is talking to Dunk, and he says "...wondering if he had chosen the wrong side and how much Bloodraven knows of this conspiracy. The answer to that last is 'quite a lot.' "

6. When Bloodraven appears outside the walls of the castles, Dunk and his friends "had looked for Ser Maynard to join them, but Plumm had melted away sometime during the night.".

7. When the knights were around the campfire in an early chapter, they were talking about Aegon the Unworthy and his bastards. The following was said: ""We'd all be bastard sons of old King Aegon if half these tales were true." "And who's to say we're not?" Ser Maynard quipped."

8. They both use the phrase "nest of adders", and are one of the few characters to do so.

• 5 months later...

One other clue I picked up that I don't think was mentioned here.

After Dunk throws Lord Alyn in the well and MP(BR) is helping him Dunk asks if they should throw him a rope and MP(BR) responds with "Save him now to execute him later?". He'd only say that if he was the one who decided or helped to decide who should be executed. At the end Dunk sees BR checking names off of a list and thinks that those are the ones to be executed.

• 2 months later...

I'm a late-comer to the Dunk and Egg stories and I finished reading The Mystery Kinght only last night. By the time I got to the end, I had become quite sure that Ser Maynard Plumm was Bloodraven, and I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't revealed - that Dunk didn't figure it out. :P

Today I started looking for a thread where I can read others' thoughts on Plumm and found this one. I agree with all the clues listed, and perhaps I can add one more (I didn't see it mentioned, though I may have just missed it):

"Plumm ... are you kin to Lord Viserys Plumm, ser?

"Distantly," confessed Ser Maynard, a tall, thin, stoop-shouldered man with long straight flaxen hair, "though I doubt His Lordship would admit to it."

His Lordship will not know of Ser Maynard Plumm if Ser Maynard doesn't exist...

Archived