Paper Books vs. Electronic

King.In.Yellow

Another one of these threads?

E-Book Reader for Convenience: "I really enjoy reading e-books because they're convenient, easy to carry, and easily markable".

E-Book Reader Partisan: "You paper book readers are a bunch of stodgy dinosaurs and weirdos who get turned on by the smell of paper."

Physical Book Reader out of habit: "I just enjoy paper books, and enjoy the whole "fishing around in bookstores that largely no longer exist" thing".

Physical Book Reader Fetishist: "God, I love the smell of the paper, the feel of the weight . . . . "

Physical Book Reader out of Paranoia: "Dude, you don't own e-books, don't you know?"

Physical Book Reader out of habit: "I just enjoy paper books, and enjoy the whole "fishing around in bookstores that largely no longer exist" thing".

Physical Book Reader Fetishist: "God, I love the smell of the paper, the feel of the weight . . . . "

Physical Book Reader out of Paranoia: "Dude, you don't own e-books, don't you know?"

*eyeroll* Bookstores exist and always will. End of story. :)

Why would it not be the same? Surely the words and the way you read them aloud is the main component of reading to your child, rather than the smell of paper and the sounds of turning pages? What if you were telling a story, making it up as you go along, is that story somehow less for not being read from a piece of paper?

Im a boarder-line horder I fear, so Its always Paper formats for me (with a preference to getting a hardback). The physical feel of it, turning the pages with excitment of whats going to follow the last page, and that I know there is no fear of the damn thing running out of batteries or wiping. I dont know, I just like looking at the covers and thinking "whoa, thats a great cover" (yes I judge a book by it) and how great it will look on my shelf, but its nice when people come over and see what you have, which almost always leads to questions about the book and thats a great way to start a good conversation and try to get someone to try something they wouldnt have thought about before,

Im sure that the large % of eReaders are great and dont give any cause for concern, but I just prefere actual books, but a good, filled bookshelf in the room is a good thing to have ;)

I am also a borderline hoarder and love buying paper books. And bookshelves do look good and add character to any room. However, I'm now plagued by space constraints so I also started on e-books. E-books are also an option to get some books that are not locally available.

I do find reading paper books more convenient since holding a device (phone or tablet) for extended periods hurts my wrists. I use Aldiko to load epubs and the brightness control helps with the eyes a bit.

I used to be physical books only, but lack of shelf space and the dismaying realization how many boxes all those books would represent when I move have made me decide to soon order an eReader, the same Kindle Paperwhite 3CityApache spoke of. Also, I read Dungeons & Dragons tie-in novels, and Wizards of the Coast have decided on an "eBook-only" policy for a number of their new releases, so if I want to read those novels in something resembling my normal book-reading fashion, I have little choice but to get an eReader.

Recently, I donated several dozen old books I knew I'd never read again to free up some shelf space, which was quickly and happily put to use by the rest of my family, further comforting me in my decision. I still plan on ordering a physical copy for major releases I really want to get quickly and in hardcover format, like the second book of the Stormlight Archive when it gets published. But there are very few releases I'm that eager for anymore, and I'm usually content to wait a year for the paperback version (after all, what's a single year of waiting to a Martin reader?). For those books, which comprise the vast majority of my book buying, I'll make the switch to eBook.

Those buying Kindle Paperwhite, let me know if it's comfortable to use (especially compared with a phone or tablet). I'm thinking it's possibly the perfect size for reading. :D

I like my paper books but e-books are good supplements. Both formats have their purposes.

I just got one a couple of weeks ago. I've had nothing but trouble with it. The display has a lot of shadows and bluring, which appearently is a production problem that a lot of people seem to be encountering. I sent it back and got a new one, and the new one still has the same problem, so I sent that back too. It's a shame, because the parts of the display that aren't messed up look incredible, even in low light. Also, It's really light, way lighter than my Ipad and a bit lighter than my Iphone, and super comfortable to hold.

I would caution on getting one until the production problems are fixed up though (or be prepared to keep returning it until you get a good one).

Those buying Kindle Paperwhite, let me know if it's comfortable to use (especially compared with a phone or tablet). I'm thinking it's possibly the perfect size for reading. :D

I like my paper books but e-books are good supplements. Both formats have their purposes.

I just got one a couple of weeks ago. I've had nothing but trouble with it. The display has a lot of shadows and bluring, which appearently is a production problem that a lot of people seem to be encountering. I sent it back and got a new one, and the new one still has the same problem, so I sent that back too. It's a shame, because the parts of the display that aren't messed up look incredible, even in low light. Also, It's really light, way lighter than my Ipad and a bit lighter than my Iphone, and super comfortable to hold.

I would caution on getting one until the production problems are fixed up though (or be prepared to keep returning it until you get a good one).

Thanks! I'd probably wait for the problem to be fixed then. Being on other side of the world, shipping for replacements would be a pain. :)

The older I get, the more I am coming to accept the notion that one must be developmentally mature (which would be mid-20s at the earliest) before one can express a cogent opinion on matters of such import as how one chooses to read ;)

I very much disagree.

I've had a 3rd generation Kindle for almost 3 years now, and there's a lot I like about it. I like how light it is, how easy it is to turn pages, how you can hold it with one hand and it never gets heavy, allowing you to sit comfortably in almost any position. I like having a dictionary at my fingertips and the ability to buy a book whenever and wherever. I like the deals that you can get on them, like the copy of Slaughter-house Five I got for less than $2 yesterday or the Leviathan Wakes/Dragon's Path combo I got for less than $4 last month. I like being able to carry a ton of books with me in a form smaller and lighter than a paperback.

There is a lot to like about e-readers.

However, I haven't stopped buying physical books. Books I know I will really like and/or want on my bookshelf (maybe to complete a series, maybe just to look good), I'll buy a physical copy of. A Dance With Dragons is a good example of this. If I can find a copy either online or at a used bookstore that's cheaper than the Kindle version, I won't hesitate to buy it, like the Firethorn/Wildfire novels (the Kindle versions are insanely overpriced) and Brave New World/Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It also feels much better to own a physical copy--it is mine in a way an e-book never will be. I admit, I also very much enjoy the smell of a book.

For me, it all depends on the situation.

Archived