A little theory about Howland Reed

Loon Lord

I assumed he was heir and not lord when he went on his adventure.

Now he's lord he has the responsibilities of leading his people that prevent him from indulging in travel or adventure.

You mean like answering Ned's call to arms for the Greyjoy Rebellion? Or answering Robb's call to arms for the War of Five Kings?

Ned hadn't been out of his lands much since the Rebellion either. There was the Greyjoy rebellion and that's pretty much all we're told until Robert comes to personally fetch him for his Hand.

I don't think there's anything inherently strange about a guy staying where he calls home.

GRRM has said Howland knows too much and that's the reason he has had to be careful in the timing of his appearance.

But there's nothing really out of the ordinary for him to have not left his home in 17 years. People still live and die on our planet today without going too far from where they were born.

Ned leaves his lands all the time. He constantly toured the North.

Did it? I always figured he was like Meera. Able to use non-conventional weapons very effectively. I thought the story only said he wasn't trained in the "knightly" weapons, like sword and lance.

That was prior to Harrenhal. In Ned's dream though he wields a sword.

I don't have a theory for this page. I just want to point out that most of the posts presuppose that Howland hasn't left the Neck and that the reader hasn't met him yet. But is there any evidence for that presumption?

The lack of any characters named howland reed that the reader sees in the books

Great points!

I do remember seeing a SSM that Howland Reed was not privy to the promise that Ned made to Lyanna even though I had been counting on him revealing some truths.

I hope we get to meet him since I like Jojen and Meera.

Anyone got a link for this? I'd be interested to see it, especially with GRRM saying that he knows too much about the central mystery of the series.

Not saying I doubt that it exists, btw, but just that I'd like to see if there are any other hints in there.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but I'm rather suspicious about Howland's absence in the world for the last 17 years.

From what we know about Howland, he was braver and more adventurous than most crannogmen, if it is to be believed that he is the man in Meera's story. We also know he was a good friend of the Stark's and that he saved Ned's life from Arthur Dayne at the TOJ.

My theory for his absence is that he is disfigured in some way, and is unable to travel.

It is mentioned that he is a small guy and has few real fighting abilities, yet he somehow saved Ned from one of the greatest swordsmen of all time. I see no way he could do this without suffering any harm to himself, and his apparent loyalty would give him cause to save Ned's life. This would also explain why he hasn't left Greywater Watch in 17 years.

Just a small theory but one that I think is very plausible.

More adventurous in his youth. He's an older man now with a family and more responsibilities than when the Harrenall tourney or Robert's rebellion happened. That, and the horrors he would have certainly witnessed during a year of war might convince him to keep closer to home.

I always thought Howland Reed is hiding at the Neck and the main reason for that is that he is under witness protection because of what happened in the TOJ. He's withholding confidential information about Jon's parentage and maybe something else as well and is afraid of that info falling into the wrong hands. I also like the idea that he might be injured and weakened to the point of not being able to travel far away from home.

Also someone must keep Howl's Moving Castle moving.

you said he has no real fighting abilities, people forget swords arent the only weapons. Where do you think Meera learned how to use that net?

I have nothing to support this, but I could see him snaring Dayne then Ned doing the honorable thing and sparing his life if he swears to disappear with Ashara

Archived