Characters you changed your mind about after finishing ASOS...

PetyrPunkinhead

Jaime : I didnt hate him but didn't like him either. But now he's like in my top 5 favorite characters. He's hilarious and the only thing he did that i really hated was pushing Bran from the window.

Littlefinger : I HATED him. Now i simply don't like him. Let's face it he's a freaking asshole and a traitor. I hated him for kinda killing Ned but when he killed Lysa i was like YAY :D.

Tywin : I kinda like him but now i just think he's an asshole and he's kinda coward.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lady Catelyn. I had respect for her at first because I'd started watching the show before getting into the books. The start of AGoT (book) showed her as less sympathetic due to the way she treated Jon Snow, and when she went as far as to tell Jon he should've been the one to fall off that tower and nearly die after he tried to check on his brother, the respect I had for her died there.

After reading about her more I saw her more as a rounded character than the needlessly jealous wife. Still couldn't forgive her treatment of Snow, but by the time Brienne pledged her service I found that respect grudgingly returning.

Also while I find Theon absolutely horrible, the culture of the Iron Islands is interesting.

Samwell, Sansa, and Jaime.

Samwell became one of my favourite characters in this book. I thought his early chapter had an amazing melancholic, hopeless ambience to them, which I really liked. Some of his chapters were my among my favourites in the entire book. Too bad nobody likes him..

Sansa finally did something to her situation, and by doing that earned my respect. Actually looking forward to her story in AFFC.

I didn't like Jaime that much before, but now that I know much more backstory and his mentallity, he became a much more interesting character.

• 2 weeks later...

The Dany storyline has so far been my favorite, with a close second Arya. But Jorah Mormont was my favorite character, and it killed me to see Dany banish him. Starting to lose respect for Dany because of that, and for beginning to trust Daario.

Arya chapters were always humorous seeing the world through a wild little girl's eyes. I was really hoping that she would go off to Braavos or something though so she could continue to become a skilled swordsman. Now it seems like she is somewhat abandoning that goal and some of her fire, so that's dissappointing.

At first I didn't really care much about littlefinger, but now I like him. I know, I know -he's an asshole. But being low-born and aspiring to become something higher is pretty cool. I kind of like how manipulative and calculating he is- especially at the end of SoS, that was definately an "OH SNAP" moment.

I don't like Sansa in AGOT; her POVs are so annoying to read. Same feelings in ACOK. ASOS is not so bad though she still annoys me in her first few chapters. Her POVs at the Vale are good, especially the part with Littlefinger and Lysa. As a character, she's still my least favorite Stark, but I admit, she improved a bit in my eyes.

Hands down: Jaime. He had such a great turn-around during that book; GRRM is amazing. I totally forgot about Bran.

I also really began to like Sansa a lot more. In the first book, she was annoying as anything, then in the second book i felt bad for her, but in ASOS she really became her own character. I especially like her in her last chapter, because that scene was amazing. GRRM is amazing

By the end of the book, other characters that stood out: Oberyn Martell (his scene is incrtedibly powerful, I can't wait to see it on the show), Littlefinger (he becomes dangerous. I like dangerous), Margaery Tyrell and Olenna Tyrell.

Notable mentions for me: Tywin, because his character is so badass.

And I think that's it. Although, I think that Dany does well in this book, twenty times better than in ADWD, in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sansa. I started liking her.

Arya. I'm starting to fear her. Still, I like her. That's prolly not going to change.

Theon. I mistrusted him in the start of the series but now I'm like, "whatever, weakling". He was a great disappointment. I thought he would really evil.

Hound. I fell in love with that character. Only wish that he would have taken Sansa away with him.

Melisandre. My dislike for her increased.

Jaime! That was a huge surprise and AMAZING character development. Respect for him has increased.

Sam. He has shown that he is capable of immense courage. I am actually looking forward to read his chapters in AFFC.

My views of the rest of the recurring characters hasn't changed much at all. But a few of the newer characters, notably Red Viper, made a huge impact on me.

So, are there any characters you hated in books one and/or two but then changed your mind about in book three? Or vice versa, was there a character you liked but by the end of book three didn't care for as much?

Lysa Arryn. She went from victim to co-conspirator and her end was nowhere near as awful as she deserved.

As most ppl already mentioned.. Jaime, one of my favorites.

Sansa and littlefinger has improved, i really like that Sansa has become a bit more.. well characterized. I didnt really pay much attention to her chapters before but after joffs wedding i began to like her. And littlefinger technically started the war he is a MASTERMIND!

I really like the hound.

Sam is just perfect probably because i can relate to him the most.

And i also give my respect to Tywin and Bolton both are cold and pragmatic, however he deserved a better ending.

I like Dany and the when ser Jorha got banished i cried. For me it was the most emotional scene in the series so far.

I dont like Mel. And i just love Stannis the more i read From the moment Davos told about his fingers Stannis is one of my favorites.

Oberyn is badass. just so badass.

Of course Jaime, since his capture he has truly been humbled, and is bent on restoring his honor.

Sansa: Everytime I read a Sansa chapter i get angered at how stupid she is, she's constantly tricked and used because she depends on other people too much. She could have saved everyone a lot of time by summing up the courage to push Joffrey off the ledge when he was showing her Septor Mordane's head

Jon:Has became the Most Badass Character in the Book, i noticed this when he choke slammed Ser Alliser Thorne with 1 Hand. And not to mention he took an arrow from Ygritte, and still managed to defend the wall from thousands of Wildlings, Giants, and Mammoths with only a few Hundred Men.

Oberyn is badass. just so badass.

I can't say I changed my mind about him because I didn't really know him before this book.

However, the Red Viper did change my mind about the Dornish people; they weren't just passive-agressive little worms, they were mighty snakes with a cunning plan to size revenge without a diplomatic incident or produce a martyr in the process.

• 2 weeks later...

So, are there any characters you hated in books one and/or two but then changed your mind about in book three? Or vice versa, was there a character you liked but by the end of book three didn't care for as much?

The big one that stands out for me is Jaime Lannister. I hated him all through books 1 and 2 and then GRRM had to go and make him a complex and round character. Not only saving Brienne form rape and death, but giving her the sword Tywin made from Ice, making her call it Oathkeeper, and basically trying to do some right by the Starks after all the shit he and his family dropped on them fmade me actully like the asshat. If GRRM somehow makes me like Cersei in book 4 though I'll call him a warlock b/c it'd take some serious magic for me to like that evil bee-atch.

I wanted to Like Jaime, but could not because while he did some redeeming acts he is still his father's son and he continues with the war and if he wanted to he could have done more like Tyrion could have done more for Sansa like give her her freedom, return her to her family etc..

I could not like Sandor, but after this book I did become to respect him and he did some good acts or tried to. He just has a stupid wall that he puts up and does a good thing and then nullifies it by doing a stupid thing or saying something that is sounds like a thret only to be an empty threat.

Nope cannot stand Cersei especially in the Tyrion chapter where her sons is boasting about giving Sansa her brother's head. Tywin notices the boy and now realize what type of grandson he has and chides Cersei. Cersei seems blind as a bat to her son and annoys the heck that she never disciplines him and defends him etc..

I have never liked Roose from the get go and it seems to be confirmed that in my mind that he started scheming against Robb as soon as after the battle on Trident. I would assume sooner, but do not have proof.

I like Thoros and despise Melisandre still.

Dany I liked in the first two books, but this book she got on my nerves. She seemed to self entitled and hypocritical. She only wants to her the good stories about her family not the bad and do not want to hear defeats and learn from them. At times she acts very childish.

Renly: Per Loras's story, he really did nail the truth about Brienne (I honestly thought Renly was just using her).

Arya & Sandor dynamic: they started as mortal enemies to end up as surrogate father and daughter.

The Greyjoys: nice spin on the family dynamic

Irri: her sexuality and its relation to Dany was a complete surprise.

Jaime: obviously.

Archived