Characters you changed your mind about after finishing ASOS...

PetyrPunkinhead

Sansa: i dont mind her so much now, during the Joffrey wedding chapters she comes across a lot smarter than she initially appears.

Jojen Reed: thought he became less of a douche, to put it plainly. overall, Jojen seemed a bit like he had a pole stuck up his butt. more and more though, Jojen is trying to do the right thing by Bran, and has been scarred psychologically by the green dreams. plus, he does serve Bran often without drama, even if he wants to clarify / pose questions on issues first.

Tormund: seems like a truly genuine person who knows what he is and goes about his business without being a prick. thought he was good to start with, but has continued to grow on me.

• 1 month later...

Hello guys, I have just finished reading ASOS and something very particular happened to me: I'm starting to think more and more that Ned was not the perfect person I thought he was. It's just a feeling I have... probably inspired by Jamie's POV.

Also, about Varys i've been changing my mind very often, I can never be sure of his real plans.

• 2 months later...

LIKE - I didn't like the hound but by the battle on the backwater i loved him because the way he is with Sansa shows that he may be a brute but has a soft side and i like that... Love him more when he teams up with Arya.

DISLIKE - Sansa.... I CANT STAND HER!!! In none of the books and the show... HATE her...

LIKE - Im on the Jaime bandwagon as well for the same reasons as has been pointed out in previous comments...

DISLIKE - Daeny.... Really started losing interest in her by the end of this book... her story started to get extra boring

my final one is

DISLIKE - Jorah.... I just can't stand him what so ever... he's weird and creepy and just down right dodgy

characters that I changed my mind about:

-Samwell.

I really disliked him in the first place but the way he handled the LC election was fantastic

-Tyrion.

I still enjoyed reading his chapters but some of his actions and thoughts in ASOS were really cruel and there is no excuse for what he did in the end (although, of course, I enjoyed that chapter very much :D)

people that I liked even more after ASOS:

Sansa, Davos, Arya, Daenerys, Meera, Bran

concerning Jon... his chapters in ASOS were much more interesting than in the previous books, especially after Stannis turned up. still don't like him as a character though.

Hello guys, I have just finished reading ASOS and something very particular happened to me: I'm starting to think more and more that Ned was not the perfect person I thought he was. It's just a feeling I have... probably inspired by Jamie's POV.

Also, about Varys i've been changing my mind very often, I can never be sure of his real plans.

And was Ned so wrong, if you take into account Jamie threw his son from a tower wanting to kill him?

• 4 weeks later...

Characters I don't like but like now are: Samwell Jon Jaime Stannis Dany (just for the sake of developing a better storyline) Melisandre is definatly a favorite of mine. I don't dislike any of these characters by all means I just think their storylines developed and got more interesting in Storm of Swords.

Definitely Jaime. He became such a complex character in book 3. I like his character a lot.

Davos, he became really interesting in book 3. Loved him in ADWD.

Ser Jorah... and not in a good way. What a douchebag and whiny ass. And he misses a couple of brain cells.

• 3 weeks later...

Dany used to be my favourite character by far but now I almost despise her.  Never hated Sansa, was more indifferent, but she's become my favourite character as of late if that counts. 

There are several parallels in their stories early on in the books.  The two girls are married and bethrothed to someone around the same time in book and both were on track to becoming a queen; Daenerys through Khal Drogo, and Sansa through Joffrey, of course.  Both girls try to make the best of their situation despite the fact that they are more or less prisoners.  As their stories diverge a bit, Daenerys gains dragons, armies, and cities, but gains few true allies due to the fact she doesn't listen to her advisors.  In turn, Sansa loses everything, her family, her home, her betrothed, but she gains several key allies and unlike Dany, she listens to those who give her advice. 

The main reason why I started to dislike Dany is because she's been given a wonderful oppurtunity to rule Essos, but she's becoming more like a dictator.  Her eventual plan is to conquer Westeros and start a war against a world that she's never really lived in and against people she doesn't even know.  It doesn't seem like she'd care in the least if any of the other characters that the reader has grown to love suddenly perished by dragonfire if it meant taking back the throne.  It makes her plan much less sympathic anymore since it comes off as greed.  It would be one thing if she wanted revenge against Robert Baratheon and Ned Stark, but they're both dead by book three.  For that reason I hope GRRM takes her story to the far north beyond the wall against the Others; I might start liking her again if that happens. 

I liked Ned at first, but again, as the books have progressed, a lot of what has happened could have been prevented had it not been for the fact that he is really not as honourable as most think he is.  He could have taken "Family, Duty, Honour" a little more seriously considering they were the words of his wife's house, but his decisions are usually made in hopes of seeming honourable and not actually being honourable. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

same here. I hate to admit it but Jaime goes through some srs development in ASOS. Still, I hope he gets what he deserves in the end.

Part of me thinks that he will end up on the Iron Throne. He started out as one of the main antagonists and I think in keeping with the themes GRRM has provided, he will end up successful.

same here. I hate to admit it but Jaime goes through some srs development in ASOS. Still, I hope he gets what he deserves in the end.

I need to wait for a re-read to make a top10 list of characters, but Im sure that Jaime is in top5, maybe even on podium :o

As you said, incredible development and contrast, very enjoyable character, and at the end of SoS brilliant!

• 1 month later...

Jaime and Jon (especially second half), for sure!

I was also really surprised that I found myself absolutely loving Oberyn Martell. He has got to be one of the sexiest characters in the entire series!

:agree: Jaime is the most popular answer, though I found I liked him even more after FEAST. I liked Jon in THRONES, though his character became somewhat forlorn and mopey by the third book. However, by its conclusion, he really had grown as a character.

• 6 months later...

The character that I had the strongest convictions and judgments of ended up changing drastically once I completed aSoS. That character is Jaime Lannister. Once he became a POV character I assumed that I'd grow to hate him.

At first read I simply just tolerated his POV chapters. I gradually started to understand why Jaime was the way he was. He was a man that was misunderstood and he'd made many bad choices in life. 

Spoiler

After Brienne and him are captured by the Brave Companions Jaime gets his right hand cut off. His right hand was his sword hand. Jaime is a warrior and Knight of the Kingsguard. His sword hand was his identity and livelihood.

Other than being known as one of the finest warriors in Westeros, he is also notorious for murdering Aerys II Targaryen. It wasn't until after Jaime confessed what happened in King's Landing and why he felt he had to kill Aerys II that my perspective on Jaime changed dramatically. After getting to know his father Tywin and his sister Cersei's true nature I understood even more (and sympathized) why Jaime ended up the way he did.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a downright Stark fan until I realized they basically just brought all these shits down to themselves. I mean, something in me snapped when I read Cat's chapters leading to The Red Wedding (I did cry "fuqqqq" in dismay when Cat's gone mad and my heart died when she thought of Ned before someone cut her throat). Robb was a complete selfish clueless idiot with his "honorable" action toward Jeyne Westerling. Sansa was a naive little bitch who sold her father to the enemy. And then Cat's series of poor life choices were just too damn much (since book 1). As a result, now I'm kind of a Lannister fan (which is quite a development, really) just because they were at least good at what they're doing (being cunning as hell). And because 2 of my most favorite characters ever were from this clan. 

Surprisingly, though, Sansa DID grow on me. She was less annoying and more tolerable in ASOS and now I kinda like her.

Jaime was introduced as an ultimate douchebag right from the start, so of course he's the one we all look for when it comes to this question. Looking at Cersei and Tywin, we got to understand more why Jaime was the way he was. From his POV it turned out he was just loyal, to his family and honor, that's all. 

Davos was BORING af. Until the part where he was career-resurrected to become a Hand of the King, then everything got a wee bit more interesting. He was just an absolute AWWworthy guy, really. 

The Hound, well, something in me shifted when I read the part where he fought Beric Dondarion, got himself burnt and begged someone to help him. Well, he's the kind to say one thing but act another. He hated knighthoods and despite chivalry, but most of the time his actions told otherwise.

Archived