And the Valyrian goes to... (spoilers)

chrisdaw

"We knew all this. The question is, how do we fight them?"

"The armor of the

Others is proof against most ordinary blades, if the tales can be believed, and their own swords are so cold they shatter steel. Fire will dismay them, though, and they are vulnerable to obsidian. I found one account of the Long Night that spoke of the last hero slaying Others with a blade of dragonsteel. Supposedly they could not stand against it."

"Dragonsteel?" The term was new to Jon. "Valyrian steel?"

"That was my first thought as well."

And so it is not a far fetched theory that Valyrian weapons have a part to play in resisting the Others. We have a number of Valyrian weapons floating about the world in the hands of characters significant and insignificant. I've been thinking that many of these insignificant (and some not so) characters wielding Valyrian steel are but place holders for more major characters to acquire their weapons. The weapons can change hands more than once of course.

Weapon - Valyrian Arakh

Current owner - Caggo, mercenery captain in the Windblown, part of the Pretty Meris party that helped Quentyn free the dragons.

Possible Future Owner - Rakharo, the newly filled out bloodrider who brings all the handmaidens to the yard. Dany gifted him an arakh while she gave a bow and whip to her other bloodriders, has bad ass written all over him.

How it may come to be - The Tattered Prince (Windblown leader) wants Pentos and Barristan is of a mind to give him it for his help in releasing Dany's prisoners from the Yunkai. Rakharo is off looking for Dany. So come the sorting out of Meereen it seems Caggo and Rakharo will both be in the same camp, but much and more can happen between Meereen and Pentos, and Dany might not be as willing to hand Pentos over to the Tattered Prince, especially if he doesn't succeed in freeing Daario. Rakharo vs Caggo would be ideal, but it's not necessary he be the one to kill Caggo for him to wind up with the arakh.

Valyrian Axe

Owned by House Celtigar, believed to be on Claw Isle, wielder unknown, most likely no-one at present.

Victarion and Hotah as prodigous axe users are two possible owners that spring to mind. Perhaps a slim chance that if it happens to be a particularly small axe it may fit Tyrion.

I don't see Hotah invading Claw Isle, and so believe this axe is destined for Victarion, along with the supposed Kraken horn. When Grolea lost his head I believe it was Martin clearing the decks for Vic to become Dany's master of ships. Claw Isle holds many treasurers, is weakly defended and is conveniently located not far out of the way to King's Landing, making it a rather alluring prospect for those passing by. If Vic doesn't stop to help himself then perhaps another newly loosened pirate (Saan/Aurane) may do so, and in turn run into Victarion sailing (part of) Dany's army for King's Landing so that he may relieve them of their plunder.

Should Vic get a hold of his axe it'd be rather awesome if he and Hotah were to meet in battle and it pass onto Hotah.

Lady Forlorn

A longsword with a ruby shaped heart in the pommel. Weilded by Lyn Corbray. Lyn Corbray is of House Corbray, a power in the Vale. He is in the pocket of LF, acting the part of LF's public antagoniser in the Vale for which he receives a payment of boys (very much hinted for the purpose of bedding) and gold.

The gravedigger, Sandor Clegane's.

Sandor has wielded longswords by choice, he carried a longsword during the Battle of the Blackwater, the weapon type suits him.

We're rather short on romantic heroes suited to wield a sword with a heart in the pommel, but there's a theory one is in the making on Quiet Isle. Clegane is alive, and his future like part of his history is very likely intertwined with Sana's. Theories abound relating to Sandor's and Sansa's relationship which I won't go into except to say that having cruelly cured Sansa of her naive belief in the just and honourable knight he is the most fitting candidate to restore the faith.

Sandor was gruesomely scarred by his brother as a child and spends much of his life defending children, Joffrey, Sansa and Arya. Whilst retaining his size, strength and skill at arms, perhaps paranormally healed and definitely forgiven and reborn on the Quiet Isle living a pious life amongst the most devout of the Faith, I propose Sandor is very likely to become the embodiment of the warrior. And according to the song, the Warrior guards the little children. So I propose there is very much some foreshadowing going on regarding Sandor bringing pedophile Corbray to justice (and taking his sword).

Finally the name of the sword. Lady Forlorn, It's Sansa all over, and there's no other sword user of such a relationship with Sansa that it would suit to carry a sword so cheekily named for her. Perhaps it hints at a sad ending to this story thread, or is simply a nod towards Sandor taking the place of Lady in Sansa's life.

Nightfall

The sword has moonstone pommel and belongs to House Harlaw, wielded by Ser Harras Harlaw, the bad ass who planted his banner beneath Grimm castle and challenged and defeated whoever came in single combat before they surrendered to him. Currently residing over Greyshield, formerly Reach lands.

Not a lot to go on here. Two tenuous possibilities in minor characters. "I am of the night" Darkstar for the sword's name and pommel. Garlan for the sword's location (Garlan is on the way) and the need for Garlan to continue being awesome.

Longclaw

Jon, ugh, boring.

Heartsbane

Belongs to Randyll Tarly, two handed greatsword.

I have issues with this one, for mine it seems destined to be the sword promised to Jorah by Dany, but Dany promised a longsword and Jorah used a longsword. Tarly is Golden Companies sleeper for Aegon, Aegon wins the throne, eventually Dany does battle with Aegon, Tarly dies fighting for Aegon, Dany gives Jorah the sword. I can't think of any suitable greatsword wielders so I don't know. The name may foreshadowing the wielder fighting against the wielder of Lady Forlorn (heart pommel).

Red Rain

Owned by House Drumm, wielded by Lord Dunstan Drumm who is old and probably couldn't do much with it, last known whereabouts the shield islands.

Not a lot to go on again. The sword became the posession of house Drumm by trickery. The location makes Garlan a possibility. Probably something in the name.

Widow's Wail

Joffrey's, now Tommen's half of ice.

If the Golden Company don't have Blackfyre ready to bust for Aegon then I assume Aegon will take this sword when he takes the throne. If they do, then perhaps Duck will become a temporary owner.

Ultimate destination I think Tyrion or Jorah.

Oathkeeper

Brienne or Jaimie to retain to the end.

Why does everyone think Randly Tarly is with the Targs? There is no evidence to support it except his leige lord was a Loyalist and he sided with his Leige.

who's given ZERO credit and didn't object(house words and motto he lives by: first in battle) when mace oushed the matter on the Wai-shelf (if you get the mataphor)

If I could add some:

- Valyrian steel dagger (shall we call it Razor) used in the assassination attempt on Bran - goes to Arya. Who will dual wield the Needle and the Razor. Close quarters combat, stealthy, professional. She may prolly off LF with it. Ah the irony.

- Longclaw goes back to Jorah when he becomes the brother of the NW

- Dark Sister goes to Jon following a virtual rendezvous with Bran, or BR

- Blackfyre finds its way to Aegon by way of Ilyrio's gift

- Brightraw is thought to be lost forever, but will actually resurface when Tyrion finds it in the armory stash of one of the free companies. He will not wield it though, but bring it back home to Jaime. Tryion's weapons are wit, not blades

- Oathkeeper stays with Brianne

- Dawn (although arguably not valyrian steel) is taken by Mance, because Dawn is hidden in the Winterfell Crypts

- Lady going to Sandor is VERY elegant!

If I could add some:

- Valyrian steel dagger (shall we call it Razor) used in the assassination attempt on Bran - goes to Arya. Who will dual wield the Needle and the Razor. Close quarters combat, stealthy, professional. She may prolly off LF with it. Ah the irony.

- Longclaw goes back to Jorah when he becomes the brother of the NW

- Dark Sister goes to Jon following a virtual rendezvous with Bran, or BR

- Blackfyre finds its way to Aegon by way of Ilyrio's gift

- Brightraw is thought to be lost forever, but will actually resurface when Tyrion finds it in the armory stash of one of the free companies. He will not wield it though, but bring it back home to Jaime. Tryion's weapons are wit, not blades

- Oathkeeper stays with Brianne

- Dawn (although arguably not valyrian steel) is taken by Mance, because Dawn is hidden in the Winterfell Crypts

- Lady going to Sandor is VERY elegant!

Can we call the dagger "Dragon's Claw"? It has a dragonbone hilt...

For the purposes of the OP, I do not think we need to consider the dagger. Except for the coolness factor, it's functionally equivalent to an obsidian dagger - and there are plenty of those.

I always thought Arya would get Dark Sister, but a longsword might indeed be too heavy for her build and fighting style. It's very name fits her so well, and the way the TV-show had her speaking of Aegon, his sisters and Dark Sister felt like foreshadowing.

who's given ZERO credit and didn't object(house words and motto he lives by: first in battle) when mace oushed the matter on the Wai-shelf (if you get the mataphor)

He won the only victory for the loyalists that only proves he is a good commander, to use that as a basis for him being ready to aid targs is foolish. He did what his leige ordered; he isn't for politics after all he is the reach's best soldier.

Lady Forlorn

A longsword with a ruby shaped heart in the pommel. Weilded by Lyn Corbray. Lyn Corbray is of House Corbray, a power in the Vale. He is in the pocket of LF, acting the part of LF's public antagoniser in the Vale for which he receives a payment of boys (very much hinted for the purpose of bedding) and gold.

The gravedigger, Sandor Clegane's.

Sandor has wielded longswords by choice, he carried a longsword during the Battle of the Blackwater, the weapon type suits him.

We're rather short on romantic heroes suited to wield a sword with a heart in the pommel, but there's a theory one is in the making on Quiet Isle. Clegane is alive, and his future like part of his history is very likely intertwined with Sana's. Theories abound relating to Sandor's and Sansa's relationship which I won't go into except to say that having cruelly cured Sansa of her naive belief in the just and honourable knight he is the most fitting candidate to restore the faith.

Sandor was gruesomely scarred by his brother as a child and spends much of his life defending children, Joffrey, Sansa and Arya. Whilst retaining his size, strength and skill at arms, perhaps paranormally healed and definitely forgiven and reborn on the Quiet Isle living a pious life amongst the most devout of the Faith, I propose Sandor is very likely to become the embodiment of the warrior. And according to the song, the Warrior guards the little children. So I propose there is very much some foreshadowing going on regarding Sandor bringing pedophile Corbray to justice (and taking his sword).

Finally the name of the sword. Lady Forlorn, It's Sansa all over, and there's no other sword user of such a relationship with Sansa that it would suit to carry a sword so cheekily named for her. Perhaps it hints at a sad ending to this story thread, or is simply a nod towards Sandor taking the place of Lady in Sansa's life.

I love this. In fact I think if GRRM doesn't go down this route I hope you'll write some fanfiction that does!

Ok what was the topic's question?

If you are asking is dragonsteel the same as Valyrian steel, IMO no. Besides the fact (even with a shorter time line then we have) that Valyria wasn't formed untill well after the Long Night, you have the fact that it only came from Valyria and the art of making it was "lost" before AtC arrived in Westeros. I would think it more likely that it is a steel made by using a real dragons breath of fire, and that's a bit out there.

If the OP is about where all the Valyrian steel is, there is way to much to know. We have heard that there is 100's of swords just in Westeros.

Yeah, tell me. I'm prepared to be furious!

ok, so

"You killed Mycah, don't say you never did. You murdered him!"

"I did." His whole face twisted. "I rode him down and cut him in half, and laughed."

He turned to Septon Meribald. "I hope that you have time to absolve us of our sins. Since the raiders slew old Septon Bennet, we have had no one to hear confession."

"I shall make time,"

In The Seven-Pointed Star it is written that all sins may be forgiven, but crimes must still be punished.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You remember where the heart is?" the Hound asked.

She nodded. The squire rolled his eyes. "Mercy."

Needle slipped between his ribs and gave it to him.

The Hound had seen it too. Is he scared? Arya wanted him to be scared before he died, as scared as Mycah must have been.

"Do you mean to make me beg, bitch? Do it! The gift of mercy... avenge your little Michael..."

"Mycah." Arya stepped away from him. "You don't deserve the gift of mercy."

"The gift was given only to those who yearned for it,"

"We kill men, but we do not presume to judge them"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I know this man," she did hear a priest with the face of a plague victim say. "I know this man," the fat fellow echoed, as she was pouring for him. But the handsome man said, "I will give this man the gift, I know him not."

And she knows him.

"The Hound died there, in my arms."

"The man you hunt is dead."

Rather, she knew him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Arya started it... She tries to spoil everything, Father, she can't stand for anything to be beautiful or nice or splendid."

Sansa wants life to be a song, but Arya always spoils everything.

I seem to be in a minority, but I don't like the idea of the 'heroes' just swooping in and making off with ancestral swords left right and centre. It all seems a bit like a square game 'ultimate weapon.'

I don't think Valyrian Swords are really ultimate weapons... I mean... I guess they're the best swords you can get... but with real war and death all around a nice sword really isn't going to help toooooo much more than another sword even if you know how to use it.

I really think their strength lies more in their symbolic importance than their physical importance.

Now against the Others it may be a different story >.>

But honestly I think men are the bigger threat right now.... and then maybe starvation and winter, against which a sword will do diddly squat.

I've always sort of half-wondered if dragonsteel will wind up not actually meaning Valyrian steel, but more like hot/flaming swords like Lightbringer, or that flaming sword trick that Berric Dondarrion used. That's probably wrong, I'm sure, but I still wonder.

Yeah, just b/c Jon guessed that when Sam brought up the word doesn't really say much (tho sam suspected the same). :idea: It would be cool if Dragonsteel is something only Dany can make now. Like applying dragon's fire and a spell to a valaryan steel sword imbues it with power! :eek:

Archived