if the dothraki invaded westeros?

orys baratheon no.2

if the huns were involved instead of the dothraki,that wouldnt be easy at all.sadly there are no real similarities between the dothraks and the huns.the only similarity is that they all love horses.

That's the thing. I've seen the Dothraki compared to the Huns and the Mongols but other than superficial similarities they actually don't have that much in common. Sure the Mongols were made up of various tribes united under one leader, were a terror on horseback with their bows, despite relatively little armor. But the Mongols actually had a relatively well developed culture capable of administration over an empire and with a tolerance of other religions and cultures that they had conquered. The Dothraki haven't shown any of that kind of political ability.

Jorah believes that the Dothraki could fight knights on equal, but I don't believe it. We know how dangerous the Dothraki are, even in a battle without riders they are dangerous, their arakhs could cut armors (except elaborate armors like Selmy's armor) and they are tall, strong, barbarian...but I think that the discipline and the strategy are two factors that matter as much or more than the fighters themselves.

Jorah believes that the Dothraki could fight knights on equal, but I don't believe it. We know how dangerous the Dothraki are, even in a battle without riders they are dangerous, their arakhs could cut armors (except elaborate armors like Selmy's armor) and they are tall, strong, barbarian...but I think that the discipline and the strategy are two factors that matter as much or more than the fighters themselves.

I still believe he just said that because at that point he was still a spy for Varys. Furthermore their Arakhs are nice to slash but I think you can´t slash through any sort of plate armour with an Arakh.

The Dothraki don't require winter to die...they just need to land first than they die. *snap* just like that

They don't even make it to land.....Dothraki, so what experience do this guys have on naval warfare? yeah....right....big problem there.

Just send a raven to Stannis on Dragonstone and he will smash them with the royal fleet before they have time to tell "it is known"....

Exactly what I've been repeating on this thread. The Dothraki will die like flies slapped on a wall. *snap* just like that. If the Unsullied land now...thats a different case

Yeah totally...12th and 13th century full plate knigths would be soooooo afraid against 7th century BC hoplites....

That's the thing. I've seen the Dothraki compared to the Huns and the Mongols but other than superficial similarities they actually don't have that much in common. Sure the Mongols were made up of various tribes united under one leader, were a terror on horseback with their bows, despite relatively little armor. But the Mongols actually had a relatively well developed culture capable of administration over an empire and with a tolerance of other religions and cultures that they had conquered. The Dothraki haven't shown any of that kind of political ability.

+ the mongols and the huns were well trained and knew how to fight even when outnumbered and outflanked,the dothraki are just savages without any honor or culture.

Nope, you cant slash through plate. Its simply not possible, also its difficult to slash through mail.

Nope, you cant slash through plate. Its simply not possible, also its difficult to slash through mail.

But the common soldiers have simply armors, not plate armors. A curve sword cannot cut a plate armor, that's true, but the mail could be slash easily, like the muslims did agains christians during the Middle Age.

But the common soldiers have simply armors, not plate armors. A curve sword cannot cut a plate armor, that's true, but the mail could be slash easily, like the muslims did agains christians during the Middle Age.

Well you could slash mail thats true, I dont know about easily, but sure they could slash mail. Long story short armor is an advantage, and a big one. A force in armor will most likely defeat one without armor, and since the dothraki disdain armor I cant see them lasting very long in westeros.

The muslims might disagree. Their scimitars were pretty much useless against the chainmail of the crusaders. If you'd said "gambeson" instead of "mail", it would hold a little bit of truth, but not with chainmail.

And even a simple gambeson would have helped. There are accounts of crusaders in gambesons having 20-odd arrows sticking out without being seriously injured.

Well you could slash mail thats true, I dont know about easily, but sure they could slash mail. Long story short armor is an advantage, and a big one. A force in armor will most likely defeat one without armor, and since the dothraki disdain armor I cant see them lasting very long in westeros.

That would be before or after the Dothraki send (and lose) horde after horde of men against Westeros infantry spearwalls? I can even see William Wallace shouting "hoooold"....

Nope. You could pierce mail, you could break bones through mail, but you couldn't cut through chainmail. And still can't, that's the reason butchers wear chainmail gloves and aprons while handling electric saws.

The muslims might disagree. Their scimitars were pretty much useless against the chainmail of the crusaders. If you'd said "gambeson" instead of "mail", it would hold a little bit of truth, but not with chainmail.

And even a simple gambeson would have helped. There are accounts of crusaders in gambesons having 20-odd arrows sticking out without being seriously injured.

Yup, in dance there is a battle during the pit openings, 12 men in mail with longswords fight 12 dothraki, the men in mail win. Someone(cant remeber who) Said the men in mail were westerosi.

Nope. You could pierce mail, you could break bones through mail, but you couldn't cut through chainmail. And still can't, that's the reason butchers wear chainmail gloves and aprons while handling electric saws.

In real life yes, but doesnt a dothraki slash jorahs mail? I geuss that guy was really strong. The reason I didnt want to say mail is invincible to slashes is becaus I knew someone would bring that up.

Well chainmail has to be properly mantained, specially since most likely westeros mails are made of iron or at best steel....If rings start to rust then yes it becomes easier for a sword to slash through it.

Perhaps Jorah was a little negligent with his mail?

I am spanish, and when the muslims invaded us, they destroyed our armies with their riders, their bows...and their swords too. During 700 years they were fighting us, even against crusaders, and they losed....but they won also. A simitar can break bones, can cut flesh, yes, but the chainmail is not a perfect defense against that kind of swords as you think. Of cours, the chainmail represented one of the mayor differences between being hurt and being dead, but I truly believe that an arakh could slash, even cut, the chainmail..

Well chainmail has to be properly mantained, specially since most likely westeros mails are made of iron or at best steel....If rings start to rust then yes it becomes easier for a sword to slash through it.

Perhaps Jorah was a little negligent with his mail?

Maybe, more likely though grrm screwed up.

Archived