Makeup

WillWork4NinjaPowers

Isis -- I use the lipstick.

In my experience, Nars lipsticks are the right level of matte. MAC on the other hand (unless they've changed their formulation) are way too dry and gross. For the non-matte, I go with Guerlain.

Those who have met me know how much make-up I actually wear (next to none). I just have no fucks to give most mornings to get beyond mascara.

MAC lustre formula (and that's how they spell lustre.) is creamy, moisturizing, and has a nice shine. It's not dry and gross at all and is actually my favorite feeling lipstick. The other formulas are icky.

I have to confess that lipsticks are probably the one item I waste money on more than anything else in terms of make up because I often wait until I really NEED a new lipstick and then go and buy one under time pressure then realise I actually despise the colour once I get home. I have so many new, barely touched lipsticks it's ridiculous.

I have this same problem. I'll have some event come up and I'll run in to buy one and wear it once, not love it and then just never wear it again. But I tend to buy MAC and the only good thing about this is that once I have 5 useless lipsticks I don't want to wear I can at least bring them into the MAC store whenever I need a new one and get it free with their recycling program.

I don't wear lipsticks on a day to day basis but I do wear lip gloss everyday. I've been wearing MAC's "Oh Baby" lipglass for a good decade now and I live in fear that it will be discontinued. When I go to the MAC store I buy about 12 tubes at a time.

I also use the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer that has been mentioned by others. Its the only thing I've found that successfully tones down the red in my face and doesn't irritate my eyes. I have a hard time finding products I can use on my face that don't irritate my eyes. Most products after a few hours wear will just cause my eyes to itch...even if the products were applied no where near my eyes!

And this thread has made me feel very good about my eyebrows. I've never had to do anything to them and I didn't fully appreciate this until this thread. It almost makes up for my itchy eyes!

For those of you who like matte lipstick, really and truly try the stains. I've tried Josie Maran, Tarte and Revlon. The Revlon works great for half the price. I have to use a gloss over it though, because it is drying. the Tarte isn't drying at all. They can be tricky, but good ones last all day.

I hate lipstick, but I LOVE the Buxom glosses, all of them. When I moved from the beach to the mid west, my first winter here involved the nastiest, dried and cracked bleeding lips. 2 days of using the Buxom and I swear, it was like a miracle. One of the least sticky glosses I have ever tried.

My favorite SPF is the Korres Watermelon. A little goes a long way and you'll wanna use a dusting of powder over it, but I love how it looks on my skin and it smells good. All natural and no irritation. I also like the Josie MAran Argon Oil SPF.

I have this same problem. I'll have some event come up and I'll run in to buy one and wear it once, not love it and then just never wear it again. But I tend to buy MAC and the only good thing about this is that once I have 5 useless lipsticks I don't want to wear I can at least bring them into the MAC store whenever I need a new one and get it free with their recycling program.

I don't wear lipsticks on a day to day basis but I do wear lip gloss everyday. I've been wearing MAC's "Oh Baby" lipglass for a good decade now and I live in fear that it will be discontinued. When I go to the MAC store I buy about 12 tubes at a time.

I also use the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer that has been mentioned by others. Its the only thing I've found that successfully tones down the red in my face and doesn't irritate my eyes. I have a hard time finding products I can use on my face that don't irritate my eyes. Most products after a few hours wear will just cause my eyes to itch...even if the products were applied no where near my eyes!

And this thread has made me feel very good about my eyebrows. I've never had to do anything to them and I didn't fully appreciate this until this thread. It almost makes up for my itchy eyes!

Have you tried a green tinted primer? They are awesome for that. You can get a travel size to try out at the Sephora checkout for $10 I think. I use the Smashbox version.

Have you tried a green tinted primer? They are awesome for that.

All primers I have tried irritate my eyes..even the Laura Mercier one that is supposed to be the companion to the tinted moisturizer I use. Luckily though the red tones are taken care of by the tinted moisturizer alone.

I'll echo the praise of Smashbox's green tinted primer, although I don't use it as much anymore now that I've discovered that chocolate appears to be a culprit in creating the redness.

I keep it on hand just in case I get a sunburn or I'm flushed from feeling sick or red and chapped from the winter winds, too. Another thing primer does, it seals in the moisturizer.

All primers I have tried irritate my eyes..even the Laura Mercier one that is supposed to be the companion to the tinted moisturizer I use. Luckily though the red tones are taken care of by the tinted moisturizer alone.

I don't put it on my eyes. I use the Urban Decay gold colored primer. I hate ending up with puffy, red eyes from irritaion due to makeup. Usually for me it's bad eyeliner or mascara.

I'll give the lustre formulation a go sometime. And if it sucks, I will wreak a terrible vengeance upon thee. ;)

I think you'll like it. I hate chalky/dry lipsticks. And of course, I am not as askeered of your vengeance, as say, I would be if you were in the office next to mine. Geographical distance = Bravado. :)

I am intrigued by the green Smashbox primer. I am looking for something to give me that porcelain look I had prior to menopause. (Oh, hormones, how I hate them. They're giving me cancer when I have them and making me an old lady when I don't have them. They suck.)

I don't put it on my eyes. I hate ending up with puffy, red eyes from irritaion due to makeup. Usually for me it's bad eyeliner or mascara.

I actually don't put it anywhere near my eyes but most makeup - foundation, powder, blush, included - will irritate my eyes eventually...even if applied nowhere near my eyes.

What can you do for mascara?

I tend to avoid it as well as all other eye specific products (eye shadow, liner, etc.) as I've never found any that don't irritate my eyes. I've tried most products and brands and ultimately decided to stop torturing myself with eye products. LOL. I'm ultimately okay with not using mascara as I've got dark eyelashes.

My eyes are killing me today. I normally don't have a problem with eye shadow, but I found a pretty sparkley copper in the bottom of my toiletries basket so I wore it to work last night (it was a holiday concert so sparkle was appropriate). When I got home my eyes were red. Then I went swimming today and the chlorine and goggles really irritated them. Ouch.

For those of you who like matte lipstick, really and truly try the stains. I've tried Josie Maran, Tarte and Revlon. The Revlon works great for half the price. I have to use a gloss over it though, because it is drying. the Tarte isn't drying at all. They can be tricky, but good ones last all day.

I think it was Revlon that had a **sheer** lipstain for like a hot minute then discontinued it. That stuff was fantastic. It wasn't drying and it wasn't cakey looking. I bought up all I could find in the color I liked. I'm out of them now. :(

I once used a lip stain and my lips blew up. I could have used the opportunity to pretend I had lip implants but decided to hide at home instead. I think I'll stay away from those. I like lip glosses with a tinge of pink or red. Blend with my natural lip color. I also like brown lipstick. For me, it's a neutral color, again because of my coloring.

Archived