Makeup

WillWork4NinjaPowers

BB creams sold in Western countries are just "beauty balms", more like tinted moisturizers. What western brands are trying to emulate are the "blemish balms" which come from South Korea. They're a big hit recently because Korean actresses/k-pop singers became more prominent, and these celebs with great skin all use one. It's supposed to make one look youthful and lighten blemishes. Western brands are yet to perfect the formula, hence their attempts are like tinted moisturizers (according to online reviews).

The best BB creams come from Korea but it will be difficult to find a shade suitable for fair skin. I use one from Etude House and it works pretty good (I'm 1/4 Chinese so my complexion is in the middle of yellow and fair and it's easy to acquire Korean cosmetics on this side of the globe).

Aside from that, I mainly just use organic loose powder and lipstick/lip balms. Due to my sensitive skin, I use a lot of dermatologist prescriptions and have to lay off on too much makeup (although I really need some to make my eyes look bigger). I don't discrimate on lipstick brands as long as I like the shade, but I'm very partial to Clinique's Chubby Stick because it helps me with chapped lips. I tried the L'Oreal dupe and while it has better pigmentation, it led to chapped lips (too bad since it has a good mint taste too).

The absolute best brand - I'm Caucasian so it works on any light skin tone - is Dr. Jart's BB cream, any version. You can pick it up at Sephora. It's an original Korean brand and the formula is so sheer and glowy and pretty.

Missha is also a good brand, if a bit thick on the application. I also love Skin Food but I know that's probably not available in the US.

And my favorite cult products: NARS blush in Orgasm, NARS lipstick in Dolce Vita (a great pinkish neutral, like Clinique's "Tenderheart"),

Diorshow mascara, Stila eyeshadow in "Kitten", LORAC's eyeshadows.

Benefit's Erase Paste is the absolute BEST concealer. It is made with demon magic - I use it almost every other day and the pot has lasted me a year and a half. It's made from unicorns!

Lush Ocean Salt is the best exfoliator I've ever found, and their "Angels on Bare Skin" is mana from heaven for my combination skin.

Bai uses one of those electronic face cleansing machines I always see advertised on The Shopping Channel, that some women just swear by, like this Clarisonic skin cleaner. Rough skin generally means dry skin, do you ever do facials? There are things available like deep moisturizing facials that could get you started toward re-hydrating your skin, which you would then follow up at home by assiduous attention to your moisturizing routine. I'm lucky in that I generally have excellent skin, but it does get drier at this time of year, especially with the lack of humidity in the house in winter.

ES, the Clarisonic brush is supposed to work wonders, and my dermatologist loves it. I get over-aggressive with it, press down too hard, use it too long, and end up with raw skin. So, if you have an OCD tendency towards facial cleansing, don't use it; otherwise, it's great.

Okay. I broke down and bought the Clarisonic Pro. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

And I have to say is so please forgive me if I sound all preachy. When I think of the time I wasted being so hypercritical of myself in my teens, twenties, and thirties, I could just kick my butt. You ladies who are younger than me, please don't be like me. Wear what you want to wear, rock the purple hair or the whatever and recognize that you are fifteen kinds of freaking gorgeous. :)

Don't get me wrong; I don't mind the wrinkles and the flat chest and menopause and shifting body parts or sparse eyebrows (olive oil! Who knew?) and I really like who I am on the inside, but it grates me that I wasted so much energy beating myself up when I didn't deserve it.

Okay. I broke down and bought the Clarisonic Pro. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

And I have to say is so please forgive me if I sound all preachy. When I think of the time I wasted being so hypercritical of myself in my teens, twenties, and thirties, I could just kick my butt. You ladies who are younger than me, please don't be like me. Wear what you want to wear, rock the purple hair or the whatever and recognize that you are fifteen kinds of freaking gorgeous. :)

Don't get me wrong; I don't mind the wrinkles and the flat chest and menopause and shifting body parts or sparse eyebrows (olive oil! Who knew?) and I really like who I am on the inside, but it grates me that I wasted so much energy beating myself up when I didn't deserve it.

Hugs! :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

And tell me how the Clarisonic works out! You well-bred, thank-you note sender you! :P

The best thing is that you use it in the shower. You can use their gel or any other soft gel (cheaper). Use it on your neck and shoulders too. Not only does it clean but it also gets rid of dead/dry cells. I think you will like it. Let us know. BTW, it really does more than you think it is doing. She brush is so soft that you think it isn't doing much, but it is (like Raven said, don't overdo it) :)

Gotcha. I will remember that.

Also, regarding the cryptic nonsensical comment in my prior post, my eyebrows are thinning and the lady who does waxing at my salon says olive oil to the brows and lashes will make them grow in.

I prefer natural girls without make-up (and with other natural characteristics). Not every girl can pull it off, though.

Layers of powder turn me off. And that powder tastes terrible.

Excuse me while I touch up my makeup like Glenn Close in Les Liaisons Dangereuses.

If by a girl you mean a 10-year-old, I prefer not to have children that age wearing makeup either. The rest of us women will continue to make the most of ourselves and use as much cosmetic help as we please.

Yeah, I started to get all pissy about his 'natural girl' schtick but decided it just wasn't worth it.

I am currently sitting in my chair, sans makeup (natural girl, heh.) and smelling like a salad because I have olive oil on my eyebrows and lashes. Am suspicious that lovely salon lady just told me this and is giggling to her cronies about dumb redhead putting kitchen condiments on her face. :(

Pro tip dudes: when women put on makeup in the morning, it is for a whole plethora of reasons, and "What random dude X thinks" is probably near the bottom, next to "What kinda makeup grandmas wear."

So stop with this assumption that you are the arbiter of beauty.

Pro tip the second: most dudes have no idea when women are wearing makeup or not. They think "makeup" means green eyeshadow and the makeup gun set to "Whore" (a la Marge Simpson), so decide they are Categorically Against That. Meanwhile, the same dudes have no idea when a woman has on a lip stain, blush, concealer, and mascara, insisting that THAT is the "natural look".

So, you know, go learn yourself before deciding you know anything about this topic.

BACK TO THREAD: Benefit's "Benetint" (the red one) is awesome if you want a very natural, flush-y stain, and it works on lips and cheeks! A little goes a long way.

I have something called reverse lip liner by Cargo that's coming...I will report on how well it works to keep my red lipstick from feathering.

Also, the Nars lipstick in Sexual Healing is a super cool nude with lots of metallic. I feel very va va voom when I wear it.

I have something called reverse lip liner by Cargo that's coming...I will report on how well it works to keep my red lipstick from feathering.

Also, the Nars lipstick in Sexual Healing is a super cool nude with lots of metallic. I feel very va va voom when I wear it.

I love Nars formulas, so I am going to definitely check that one out. I love Dolce Vita for a daily neutral, but it feels very "wear to work-y" to me, and I want something with a kick.

Angalin, do you ever use Shea butter? I like it for very dry skin.

Do you mean shea butter all on its own? It's sometimes an ingredient in lotions or creams that I've used, and those are nice. I once tried it straight and the texture was so stiff that it was difficult to rub in. :/

Heatwave is my fave, but I have to be in a sassy mindset to wear it. Fortunately, that's me most days. :)

I also like Dolce Vita, and Belle de Jour is another good one. I pretend like I'm Catherine Deneuve when I wear it.

ETA: re: Shea butter, you put it in your palm and let it soften. Then it's easy to apply.

I am currently sitting in my chair, sans makeup (natural girl, heh.) and smelling like a salad because I have olive oil on my eyebrows and lashes. Am suspicious that lovely salon lady just told me this and is giggling to her cronies about dumb redhead putting kitchen condiments on her face. :(

The real test is, would you be doing so if she'd suggested mustard or ketchup? :P

BACK TO THREAD: Benefit's "Benetint" (the red one) is awesome if you want a very natural, flush-y stain, and it works on lips and cheeks! A little goes a long way.

I may try this again now that Kay Fury has explained the correct application method.

Archived