Makeup

WillWork4NinjaPowers

I have a question for the more mature ladies...I have recently given up translucent powder as a 'fix' for setting makeup as it tends to gather in the teeny wrinkles that seem to be appearing more frequently on my precious, fossilized face. :) Do you guys use that setting spray at all? I know MAC has one, but I haven't tried it.

I know nothing, ES, like Jon Snow. (as evidenced by my massive FAIL in makeup illustrated above.)

I will sit at the feet of the giants and partake of their wisdom along with other makeup n00bs.

Dracarya, I swear by Dermadoctor and Dr. Haushka. I have extremely fair skin, and I get compliments on my complexion, but I have to be really careful about what I use on it. I have a tendency towards breakouts, plus I have eczema that I have to be careful about. Being redheaded and Casper white sometimes (often) sucks.

Laura Mercier is great and works really for me as far as base and concealer go. And I clean with Dermadoctor and Ivory soap.

Is it expensive? I guess a big thing for me is money, being a poor student and all ;) I'm also really fair-skinned.

Dracarya, you looked fine to me, maybe I was too busy listening to you and not looking for flaws. :D

I had make-up on then :P

I hate make up and really never wear it. I do not see any need for it myself. I must have missed those lessons in girl school I suppose. LOL. I just use normal soap, and Alberto VO5 Herbal Escapes for shampoo...good stuff and its cost is about a dollar...sometimes less...for a decent sized bottle.

Dracarya, have you been tested for allergies? That can cause redness.

I have had a problem with redness on my face that has gotten gradually worse over the last couple of years. I tried all kinds of creams, nothing worked, and even took allergy meds in case something was causing my skin to flare up. That didn't help either. Finally one day I decided to look it up on the internet and saw a list of things that can cause redness, one of them being chocolate. I have always been a chocoholic, and over the years I've started eating more dark chocolate. Turns out that can trigger redness. I've greatly reduced my chocolate consumption ( :frown5: ) and my skin's redness has almost disappeared.

I only wear eye makeup (including a little eyebrow filler). I also have fairly oily skin and have trouble with eyeshadow staying on. the only primer that has ever worked well for me are the ones made by Urban Decay and Clinique. Otherwise, Almay makes an "intense i-color stick" shadow that stays on reasonably well if I don't use it in the crease of my eye (just above and below the lash line.)

I have also learned finally that using soap is awful on your face, and makes the oily skin worse not better. So, I use a combination of OCM and CeraVe hydrating cleanser. those two things, along with a retin-a cream & tons of zinc-based suncreen, have hugely improved my skin and I don't feel bad not wearing any foundation or powder anymore.

eta. there a a lot of things that can cause skin redness, food being one of them sure. but for anyone a little older like me, it can also be a sure sign of sun damage from years past. that was very much my case, and its what I use Retin-a for. very slow acting but huge improvement.

These threads always make me feel bad about how little I care about makeup. Foundation, little eyeliner, and lip gloss and I'm out the door. It always amazes me how much more beautiful the women on Survivor are when they are on the island than when they are on the reunion show. I'm not slamming the ladies who are into makeup - it can be a lot of fun, but for me, as long as I've managed to pluck all the hairs off my chin I'm good to go.

Oh shit, where to start. I have a lot of eyeshadow- a LOT. So, I have some of everything in that but MAC is my favorite. For eyeliner, mascara, and blush, I use anything, paying more doesn't make much difference there to me and my makeup artists have told me not to bother. I wash my face with the proactive face wash and I use the astringent before I moisturize but I don't use whatever the other thing is they give you. I moisturize with a Boscia moisturizer and use Studio Gear powder foundation which I apply with a big brush. On my lips I use the smashbox lip stain with whatever gloss or even a chapstick over it. Obviously, I don't do all of this every day, most days I'm just working I don't put anything on because I'd rather get the extra sleep.

Most days it's just moisturizer and sunblock; it took a while to find one that didn't irritate my skin, but Dermalogica makes one that works for me. Lipstick too, because my mouth chaps so quickly in the winter.

Chataya is a master artist with eye makeup: beautifully subtle effects.

I strongly adhere to the wise words of Dolly Parton: "There's no such thing as natural beauty."

Obviously, Dolly was adding gravy - there are some truly gorgeous women running around who can get away with no makeup. :) I am not one of them, and I love makeup.

Today, I am in an 'I don't give a crap' mood, so I did some mascara, blush and gloss and that was it. I also have a wild horn growing out of the side of my head that can only be from sleeping on that side. I don't really care about that, either.

So, while I sound really high maintenance, I vacillate between being a slob and being a glamour puss. :D

I'm also a Dermalogica fan. They have this rice grain exfoliating scrub that is miraculous.

Dracarya, Dr. Haushka, Dermadoctor, and Dermalogica are all expensive. Cetaphil is a great alternative and is cheap.

I actually have bad skin, it's pretty clear with regard to spots, but it's all red (sure there's a name for that, rose-something..) and I have had skin cysts when I was younger, leaving me with marks. I couldn't not wear all of that make-up, I'd terrorise the townspeople :lol:

Run away, far away from that makeup. You really aren't making anything any better using that stuff. Do not use MAc makeup either. It isn't any better on your face. There are plenty of full coverage brands that are wonderful for your skin.

I have a question for the more mature ladies...I have recently given up translucent powder as a 'fix' for setting makeup as it tends to gather in the teeny wrinkles that seem to be appearing more frequently on my precious, fossilized face. :) Do you guys use that setting spray at all? I know MAC has one, but I haven't tried it.

I loathe MAC makeup, but don't know about the spray. My Mom uses an Urban Decay powder that she loves. I actually just ordere dthe Makeup Forever HD kit, and it has one in it that I am excited to try. Will let you know how it works out.

I still just use Bare Minerals original loose, on top of my Makeup HD foundation during the Winter, and as a fast fix for running to the store. It's also all I wear aside from a bit of concealer, during the Summer. Have you tried it?

Oh shit, where to start. I have a lot of eyeshadow- a LOT. So, I have some of everything in that but MAC is my favorite. For eyeliner, mascara, and blush, I use anything, paying more doesn't make much difference there to me and my makeup artists have told me not to bother. I wash my face with the proactive face wash and I use the astringent before I moisturize but I don't use whatever the other thing is they give you. I moisturize with a Boscia moisturizer and use Studio Gear powder foundation which I apply with a big brush. On my lips I use the smashbox lip stain with whatever gloss or even a chapstick over it. Obviously, I don't do all of this every day, most days I'm just working I don't put anything on because I'd rather get the extra sleep.

I lOVE eyeshadow but I can't stand MAC foundations, so I steer clear from the shadows as well. Have you tried the Makeup Forever waterproof stuff? The pigments are so good.

Also, love lip stains. I use Josie Maran or Tarte for those, then top them off which whatever shade of Buxom I have on hand.

------------

Also, LOVE Buxom glosses. I want to try Bite though, I saw a red shade that looked really nice. Red is the worst to buy, so hard for me.

I have fair and sensitive skin. One brand that I swear by for years, is the Bareminerals powder. Not the translucent finishing powder, it has a mineral in it that some people are allergic to, but the original foundation. They make matte and pressed powders, but I don't like them as much. If you have sensitive skin, definitely give it a try.

Also, if you go to Sephora, they will give you samples of just about anything you want to try. That's how I discovered my love for the Ole Henrickson skin care stuff. get the samples in store, then order online. You get more free samples and there are always tons of discount codes and freebies. I just ordered the Makeup Forever HD set, some lotion or something, a Buxom lipgloss set. Used a $20 Beauty Insider card they sent me, plus got a free makeup kit with 9 mini's in it, and perfume, for $44. Can't wait to use it.

I don't keep the setting spray myself but artists have used it on me. Can't really say if it was the spray or everything else that gets piled onto my face under it, but it just felt like too much so I washed it all off as soon as I was allowed.

also, I am allergic to lavender, which means I am allergic to 98% of all creams you can put on your face and just about everything BareMinerals makes. Anything that says "fragrance" in the ingredients and doesn't smell specifically fruity means "Kelli Fury will itch until she bleeds"

I have a daily routine that goes quickly - tinted moisturizer + powder (Laura Mercier), eye liner (Stila or Urban Decay) and lip gloss (Stila or Fresh).

I have mascara, eye shadow, lipsticks, etc. that I'll put on if I'm going out somewhere special or if I have extra time in the morning, but I can get the basics on in ~5 min.

My sister would say that **I** don't wear enough makeup. She made me up once, and my husband said it looked like a "touch of the hoor."

(Those weren't his exact words, but close enough. :P)

I find that the older I get, the more time I have to spend on makeup and hair. In my 30s and 40s I could dash out of the house with the bare minimum of care. Now, unless I carefully work on preserving what I've got, I end up looking like this ---> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/71/Grant_DeVolson_Wood_-_American_Gothic.jpg/250px-Grant_DeVolson_Wood_-_American_Gothic.jpg (the one on the right.)

Archived