Makeup

WillWork4NinjaPowers

ES- I too am envisioning Lucy moments with the wax stuff. I asked Santa for the Dr. Scholl's $23 version. He instead gave a larger, more unwieldy Revlon $50 version. I don't have that much counter space in my bathroom to begin with. I see this experience taking place in my back porch with my doggies splashing on the stuff. I'm wondering about my choice of gift now. :(

I'm not sure about others, but I kind of also notice men's haircuts (not that there are a lot they can pick from), to be fair. I like dressing up the next guy as much as I love dressing myself up just because.

There's lots of different men's haircuts, but they get hemmed in by gender expectations too. The Things are presently refusing to cut their hair, because they don't like how it sticks up when it's short. All I ask is that it gets washed and brushed regularly so it doesn't tangle.

You remind me that a dentist I used to go to once-upon-a-time used to rub his crotch up again my hand as it rested on the armrest. I went to him a few times then stopped. Moved on, I guess.

:sick: Like Marathon Man wasn't enough to put me off.

The one time that I've had my hair short, it looked nice enough but it was so high maintenance that I'll never do it again. If I slept on it wet which I tend to do with longer hair if I don't have anywhere to be, it stuck straight up in the morning, and I don't like using product. I know that some men wake up with their hair sticking up and wet it down or whatever, but that made my bangs crimp up weird. And then as was mentioned, there's the frequent haircuts to keep it looking shaped. I get my hair trimmed about once every 3 months, but I've let it go as long as a year. Laziness FTW.

Holy mother of makeup, is there a mascara in the world that doesn't clump??? I felt like taking a little experimental foray into the world of makeup again, and dug out my old el cheapo mascara. Clumps everywhere. I thought it must be just its age and general cheapisnhess showing, so I got what I thought was a higher-end L'Oreal mascara... and it was even worse! Quite apart from the clumps, every time I blinked I could feel my upper and lower lashes stick together, and I only did my upper lashes. *shudders* Horrid feeling.

And on the subject of hair, chalk me up as another in the short hair camp. Due to general laziness, I've only had my ends trimmed for the last, oh, ten years or so, with the result that it grew down to my hips. Two months ago I got so very tired of it and got a pixie cut. I'm getting compliments about how pretty and how much younger I look from every side, and I spent most of my life labouring under the misapprehension that my former hairstylist instilled in me, namely that my face was too round for short hair. Now I'm thinking that she was simply not a very good stylist.

I always just used Maybelline Great Lash or whatever was on sale. Then I tried Lancome Definicils, it is really smooooooth, doesn't clump or flake and makes my short, sparse lashes look long and thick. Seems to last longer as well. I have also tried the Hypnose but I went back to Definicils. Definitely worth the high price imo. I'm not sure f it's the brush shape that works so well for my type of lashes or the formula itself but I am a believer!!

Sis, I had used Definicils for a long time, then I was tempted by, and started using, other brands. Your post made me use Definicils again. I should never have stopped.

There's lots of different men's haircuts, but they get hemmed in by gender expectations too. The Things are presently refusing to cut their hair, because they don't like how it sticks up when it's short. All I ask is that it gets washed and brushed regularly so it doesn't tangle.

Hmm, I guess my knowledge of male haircuts is limited then. :D

But in any case, for men, short or long hair doesn't matter to me as long as it looks good and healthy (and clean, definitely). I've known guys with better long locks than me, and other men look equally amazing shaved. :D

ETA: I love guys with curly hair.

wtf @ people touching your hair in public etc R&J, some part of me never ceases to be surprised at how rude people can be. If you can still have your hair long and you want it long, you keep it long! No idea where the idea of long hair being dirty comes from. Long dreads being dirty? Yeah theres definitely a stereotype there, but that's attached to the dreads, not the long hair o_O

It is getting a little thinner as I get older, but so far I still have more than enough to keep it long. if it ever gets obviously thin, I'll cut it but hopefully that won't happen any time soon! :uhoh:

the dread stereotype could be part of the "being dirty" thing (I've had long debates with people to convince them that dreads aren't dirty, either! I think that comes from straight up ignorance!) but it also could come from the fact that although I don't shed more than anyone else, its more obvious that I have shed (those long hairs are more apparent than little short hairs!). and also people with long hair don't usually wash it every day. its frustrating, though. I hate having to explain to my step-dad (for instance) that I'm clean. :rolleyes:

If that's your real picture you're using as your avatar, I love looking at your long hair! :love:

I'm currently sporting some longish hair, not anywhere near your luxurious locks, though. I have it because I love the feel of it against my face.

thanks! :love: yup, that's me. I just cut 4 inches off this weekend and it still hits my tailbone. I also like the feel of it brushing against me. in the winter I almost always have it in a braid or a bun just because it gets in the way with hats and scarves. one of the many things I love about spring...I get to wear my hair loose again. :)

I get my hair trimmed about once every 3 months, but I've let it go as long as a year. Laziness FTW.

I trim my hair once or twice a year, tops. I only wash it at night and its more or less dry by morning. As much as I would *love* to have curly hair, it being straight makes it super easy... I barely have to brush it in the morning. Like you, the times I've had short hair I had to wash and style it daily to get it to look decent. the way it is now I barely do anything to it. I love it.

Ended up getting an expensive new wig, looks much better and natural and it's not machine made so can somewhat style it. The new foundation and mascara were definitely better, I think I looked good...

I meant to say, karaddin, that good for you for getting a new wig! From what I understand, its worth it to get an expensive one that's natural. I think its awesome that you started the year the way you want to look! :grouphug:

would you recommend the clinique mascara? I have always just bought cheap mascara but its one of the few makeup items I do use regularly. and I like clinique producs... I wonder if I should try it.

speaking of clinique, anyone use their spot corrector? It has a plant-based, non-retinoid ingredient in it (supposedly)... I've been thinking about trying it for the sunspots on my chest that the retin-a doesn't want to fix. it ain't cheap, though!

Holy mother of makeup, is there a mascara in the world that doesn't clump??? I felt like taking a little experimental foray into the world of makeup again, and dug out my old el cheapo mascara.

If you had to "dig it out," it's too old. Buy a new tube. ;) (ok, nm, I see that you did. still, might want to look to see what formulation it is)

Also, look for different formulations/brushes. Anything that says it will "thicken" your lashes will probably drive you up the wall because it dumps a lot of goo onto your lashes. "Lengthening" is not as bad (but don't get anything with fibers in it because gross). And that which is sold as defining or natural leaves the least amount of product. Also, what works for others might not work for you. I have seen people swear up and down that certain (usually expensive) mascaras don't flake, but when I try them they are a hot fucking mess. So if one doesn't work, ditch it and try another.

And holy shit, I want to see this pixie cut, woman. You are beautiful no matter what, but I can imagine how fucking awesome you look now. :love:

R&J - I don't really have the experience to give a recommendation :P I was pretty happy with the lash doubling one, it looked good and didn't bother me all night. The only comparison I have is to the old one which was also clinique, but was the high impact version. Not sure how much difference between them is genuine and how much was just it being old. The new one seems good though!

Thanks for the comment on the wig :) now I just need to learn how to style it a few ways, and get it to sit so I'm not worried its moved a little/learn not to worry.

MS: I desperately want to see your new pixie cut. I can't imagine you look anything other than divine!

I've always sworn by cheap mascara and will got for maybelline where possible. I do stay away from the mascaras with the funny brushes as I think they just dump a shed load of stuff on your lashes.

On short hair: I simply don't have the nerve to cut my hair super short. I have lovely hair (even if I say so myself) and what with being a fat woman it's the one thing I know looks good (that and my eyes) and is therefore part of my armour for dealing with the world. I'm also incredibly lazy and I find long hair very easy to deal with.

An aside: this thread is awesome. When one considers that the amount of time and money women spend on cosmetics etc is looked down upon and sniped at in some circles but not only can make us feel good but also foster this wonderful supportive thread. I feel really good about my stupid amounts of NARS!

Sorry got a bit sentimental there.

N

Here's the super short hair for me...I've had it this short in the back before, but at age 45( -) 6 weeks, I finally let a hairdresser cut a shorter hairstyle in the front so I can't hide my totally uneven super-stick out ears. http://i.imgur.com/iwWu2.png

And guess what...no one cares. I am not a freak. Everyone likes it and my female coworkers want to play with it on breaks and come up with different things I can do.

Crap. Now I wish I would have done this back in 1986.

I got the pixie cut about a month after I had my son. I have a round (fat lol) face and I get a lot of compliments on it. It was kinda scary and my stylist kept asking me if i was sure I wanted it THAT short. Yes, yes I did. It was stupid hot and I just couldn't deal with it anymore. I love it. I DO wish it didn't require a new cut every 4-6 weeks but I really, really like it. Plus it seems to bring out my eyes more, which means more playing with cool eye make up. Win.

Archived