Makeup

WillWork4NinjaPowers

I use coconut oil on just about every part of my body, and I love it. I use it after I wash my face in the morning, I use Purity by Philosophy, then I put on the coconut oil. A little goes a long way but I swear it doesn't feel oily. My skin gets so, so, so dry during the Winter out here, it cracks and my lips are constantly bleeding, or should I say were, until I started doing this. I don't use it during the Summer, though. I also use the Lush massage bars as lotion, while my body is still hot from my shower.

*I like the Josie Maran Argon oil as well. BUT, when I tried the color blending foundation and powder, my skin broke out and just looked weird. It's vegan and all natural, but I can't use it. It bummed me out because I liked that it was so...friendly.

I think I also missed the girl gene when it comes to makeup. I wear drug store foundation to even out skin tone and a neutral eyeshadow just because. Sometime mascara. I don't own any lipsticks, glosses, etc. Sometimes I remember to moisturize, sometimes I forget.

However, as I creep further away from 40, I have found that I wouldn't mind something to help me grow old gracefully. What do y'all suggest?

I strongly adhere to the wise words of Dolly Parton: "There's no such thing as natural beauty."

From a guy perspective, I used think make up really enhanced a woman's looks but honestly the less TV and advertising I'm exposed to this has increasingly diminished and I better appreciate the [natural] look.

Though as someone who enjoys make up themselves, I think it is still fun to use make up to shift your appearance. :-)

@Skunkbelly:

Man, I really have to restrain myself from indulging in dark humor. My first instinct is to suggest a bullet to the brain. At a surgical procedure I was having the other day, the nurses were warning me about the fact that I had coffee with cream and sugar around four or so hours prior to, that it could cause death. Of course I had to quip back that I semi-seriously think humans were **meant** to only live till around 40 or so. After that, it's all downhill anyway, so what the hell.

anyway, you were asking about growing old gracefully, right? :P

Stay out of the sun, lay off soap (use those Ponds make-up removing towelettes in the morning and at night,) wear polarizing sunglasses, lay off powder makeup products and instead use creams, NO GLITTER :bawl:, use softer colors instead of, for instance, dark reds (I regularly ignore this one. If I'm wearing deep wine shades, goddamnit, I'm going to wear a sheer tint wine lipstain!)

Actually, since you don't wear a lot of makeup anyway, you shouldn't have to worry about too much of the makeup dos and don'ts. You may have to spend more time on your eyebrows. These suckers seem to do a vanishing act. My mom, in fact, has what we lovingly call "caterpillars" hovering over her eyes now. Eyebrows are frames for your eyes, and their importance cannot be overstated.

Get plenty of sleep and water and call me in the morning.

I use coconut oil on just about every part of my body, and I love it. I use it after I wash my face in the morning, I use Purity by Philosophy, then I put on the coconut oil. A little goes a long way but I swear it doesn't feel oily. My skin gets so, so, so dry during the Winter out here, it cracks and my lips are constantly bleeding, or should I say were, until I started doing this. I don't use it during the Summer, though. I also use the Lush massage bars as lotion, while my body is still hot from my shower.

*I like the Josie Maran Argon oil as well. BUT, when I tried the color blending foundation and powder, my skin broke out and just looked weird. It's vegan and all natural, but I can't use it. It bummed me out because I liked that it was so...friendly.

I quite like this suggestion. My husband bought a jar of coconut oil for a dietary supplement, used it for about a month, and promptly forgot about it. This sounds like a great use for it. Plus, I can smell like pina coladas!

@Skunkbelly:

Man, I really have to restrain myself from indulging in dark humor. My first instinct is to suggest a bullet to the brain. At a surgical procedure I was having the other day, the nurses were warning me about the fact that I had coffee with cream and sugar around four or so hours prior to, that it could cause death. Of course I had to quip back that I semi-seriously think humans were **meant** to only live till around 40 or so. After that, it's all downhill anyway, so what the hell.

Stay out of the sun, lay off soap (use those Ponds make-up removing towelettes in the morning and at night,) wear polarizing sunglasses, lay off powder makeup products and instead use creams, NO GLITTER :bawl:, use softer colors instead of, for instance, dark reds (I regularly ignore this one. If I'm wearing deep wine shades, goddamnit, I'm going to wear a sheer tint wine lipstain!)

Actually, since you don't wear a lot of makeup anyway, you shouldn't have to worry about too much of the makeup dos and don'ts. You may have to spend more time on your eyebrows. These suckers seem to do a vanishing act. My mom, in fact, has what we lovingly call "caterpillars" hovering over her eyes now. Eyebrows are frames for your eyes, and their importance cannot be overstated.

Eyebrows are SO important.

And yeah, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate your skin.

Serioulsy, Skunk, go to a Sephora and make them give you samples of the skin care. Just keep getting them until you put something on and are like "whoa."

I quite like this suggestion. My husband bought a jar of coconut oil for a dietary supplement, used it for about a month, and promptly forgot about it. This sounds like a great use for it. Plus, I can smell like pina coladas!

Let me know what you think! Make sure that your skin has been washed first though. Coconut oil is also really good for a number of skin conditions, because it has anti fungal properties, amongst other stuff that I would have to open my book up for.

Oh how I love makeup. My time to spend on putting myself together now is drastically shortened because of BabyBoy but I've got shittonnes of the stuff around. I think I may need to put it on our insurance as my collection would be cost thousands if I had to replace it all.

I go for high end eyeshadows no question for a couple of reasons: 1) the pigment is stronger and brighter so the colour you see on the palette will be the colour on your eyes (give or take for skin tone) and 2) that shit stays on like a mo'fo. My favourite brand of eyeshadow is NARS followed by Urban Decay (not so highend but they do some lovely colours) and then MAC.

For lipsticks/lipglosses I find any brand works well but I do love a bit of Soap & Glory Motherplumper lipglosses.

For mascara and eyeliner I will absolutely use any old crap. A couple of makeup artists have basically said that are all the same to a degree but one I knew swore up and down by Maybelline.

I don't wear foundation and never have. I perhaps use a bit of concealer and translucent powder if I've got my period spot but that's it.

I absolutely swear by using a primer (NARS) for the entire face and then specifically for eyeshadow (Urban Decay).

I will wear absolutely any colour that I think I can get away with. None of this subtle shit for me. If I've gone to the trouble of putting it on you will damn well know that I'm wearing it.

I might have to foist the boy off on his dad tomorrow and put my facepaint on.

Oh, and if nail polishes are included then I love OPI and China Glaze. Seche Vite do a stunning fast dry top coat.

N

Sleep? My elementary school children are less than two years apart and my job forces me to work nights and weekends.

Wine and coffee count as hydration, right? Right? Right? I didn't think so either.

This is helpful for those of you who are new to makeup. Scan through a few years of winners. High and low end products.

http://www.allure.co.../best-of-beauty

And this is my new fave as far as foundations and pigments go. And sparkel. I love sparkle. also, the concealer is so, so good without feeling weird and heavy.

http://www.makeupforever.com/

I hardly ever wear make up other than lipstick :drunk: I only wear concealer under my eyes (some Maybelline one) when I didn't have much sleep and I look like a panda. Sometimes, I wear mascara (also from Maybelline, always black) and I hardly ever wear eyeliner. If I put it on my water line (is that the name?) it itches like hell, so I never do that. Besides, I have big eyes, and wearing eyeliner there only makes them look bigger. I used to wear some on my upper lashline but my eyes are so big you can barely see my lids :lol: I end up with black marks from the eyeliner near my brow bone :lol: I do wear some white pearly eyelined in the inner corners of my eyelids, sometimes. I like how it looks.

My favorite lipstick colors are nude and red, since I'm a brunette I think red looks good on me. I like my lips :lol:

I sometimes use some moisturizer, and I use an astringent tonic on my nose and forehead.

The only things I do take care of in a regular basis are my nails and hands. I use hand lotion every day, sometimes many times a day. I never cut my cuticles but I do try to smooth them. I use Instant Cuticle Remover by Sally Hansen, it's good but you have to be careful :drunk: And I use a base coat before applying color to my nails, always.

Aww. A thread just for us (plus Sci. :D). I wear a huge mish mosh of stuff because I am very persnickety. I use a Prescriptives made to order foundation because I am olive skinned with freckles, but don't want to overdo it. I wear a blend of YSL Touche Eclat plus Mary Kay yellow concealer (talk about blending products). It's a totally yellow concealer. It works for me. YSL Shocking for lashes. Prescriptives loose powder and/or Clinique Super Powder Double Face Makeup (it's like foundation and powder all in one). I use Clinique's face scrub once a week (it's minty and delicious) although I do use the Clarisonic Brush every so often. I love Bobbi Brown's brushes. Lipsticks, eyeliners and other stuff I buy what appeals to me color wise. If I have heavy eyes, I wear lip gloss. I cannot live without Fresh Body Scrub during the winter. I have super duper dry skin and it needs it, even in Florida.

I've been trying to remember moisturizer lately. My skin gets so dry in the winter. I use hand lotion a million times a day. The only problem is that I've been swimming 3x a week at lunch and I don't have any facial mosturizer at the gym. I need to puck up some this weekend. The problem w/ swimming at noon is that you have two of everything (onecsetvto stay in your locker) unless you want to lug it all every day.

I have very sensitive skin (and usually running late for something) so my face is always completely make up-free. It's fine, I'm not trying to look good for anyone.

To wash my face, I use Dr. Bronner's liquid soap and for lotion, I useAlaffia Neem & Shea Butter Therapeutic Body Lotion. Yes I know that's not face cream but it works well enough for me

Same here - I love the argon oil, but her other products break me out and the colors are just not right.

However, as I creep further away from 40, I have found that I wouldn't mind something to help me grow old gracefully. What do y'all suggest?

Getting older is great in so many ways: I am no longer such an idiot, I don't care so much (probably not enough) what other people think, and I'm much more comfortable in my own skin. However, the skin I'm so comfortable in is going to hell in a handbasket. And I'm not being very graceful about it. It makes me swear profusely...especially since I used to be a hottie with great skin tone and could run around in jeans, a tshirt and flip flops and practically no makeup and look like a million bucks. Now I walk a fine line between looking like uber plain soccer mom and a mishmash of Nancy Grace meets Barbara Cartland. I have had to practice makeup application on my new, middle aged face. I don't WANT to look like a contestant on RuPaul's show, but I don't want to look like plain Jane either. So, long story short, there is no getting old gracefully. There's just getting old. :D Which beats the crap out of the alternative, right?

@Skunkbelly:

Yes, I do love you. :love: However, I have to side with Chaldanya on this: I will wear glitter all day long. If it sparkles, Baby, I'm there. There is a reason why I adore David Bowie and Marc Bolan and all things Glitter Rock. I should have been a country music singer. I have to make myself tone it down for work. If I had my way, I would be wearing sequins, cowboy boots, and Keith Richards clothing every day.

You guys should probably not be taking makeup advice from me. :pimp:

I have a deep suspicion I'm the oldest one here. :lol: A lot of good advice so far, especially DRINK WATER! Being dehydrated does terrible things to your skin.

When you get out of the shower or bath, right after drying yourself off use a body lotion all over, your torso, your arms and your legs, especially in winter when the air in your house is so much dryer. Pay attention to your knees and elbows. If you have a desk job, it's easy to get horrible red, dry elbows. We don't always have time to do a cleansing routine, but try to do it at least once a day, at night or in the morning. I always cleanse at night to get rid of the city's grime from my face. Pollutants damage your skin. Remember to moisturize your neck - the two places that will betray you over time are your neck and your hands. Look up pictures of Madonna - these days she always wears gloves, because her hands are aging badly and there is very little you can do for your hands once they start to age. And she's only in her early 50s.

Even if you don't wear makeup, always, always, always use a moisturizer on your face. There are light foundations with moisturizers that will give you sun protection, definitely needed in summer, and if you live somewhere cold in winter, will help against wind damage.

There's nothing better than good genes, of course, and I'm lucky to have good skin. But you need to look after yourself. For one thing, it will help you when looking in the mirror as you get older. :)

ETA Oh yes - do not use soap on your face, it will cause long term damage! Use a cleanser - Cetaphil is great (and works well for shaving your arm pits!!!) but there are lots of others. You may need to try several brands before you find one that works well. Facial skin is so sensitive you may get a reaction to some cleansers.

I use Moroccan Oil (argan oil) for my hair, not my face. For my face at night I use Pro-Collagen Oxygenating Night Cream. I use Prevage too. Prevage is good for eliminating small lines and patchy spots. I cannot use the Obagi method because it's too strong. It's very good for fair complected people, though.

Archived