Decemeber Reading Thread: How Are You Finishing Off The Year

dornish prince

I am on the third installment of the Bartemeaus trilogy after which I might give WoT a shot, simply because everytime I ask for a fantasy rec, that is the first one mentioned.

Robert Jordan is better version of Sanderson. I always get the feel of Wheel of time in Way of the kings, especially in gender relations. So, you might like him.

And, I will be alternating between reading Blade itself, King of throns and Deadhouse gates.

I just started The Three Musketeers. If I like it (which I do so far), I'm going to try and finish the D'Artagnan series by the end of the year. Not sure if it's going to be possible though, because the third book is MASSIVE.

Oh yes, it's massive, but worth it. Court intrigues and adventures are win-win factors, and there are funny moments. And the man in the iron mask subplot is less romanticized in the books.

I'm currently reading the second book of Friedman's Magister Trilogy, which seems to continue in the same vein as the first one, which I really liked.

Current gym audiobook is still Pillars of the Earth, and considering that it's about 50 hours long. probably will be for the next couple of years...it's starting a bit slow, and it would be nice if there were sentences with more than 5 words from time to time...not too bad though.

Rereading White Night at my parents' place when I'm there, which is the usual Harry, love it or hate it.

Just finished up Abercrombie's The Heroes and snagged Red Country for my Kindle a few moments ago. Not sure how quickly I'll get through it as finals are next week, but something tells me this may take precedence...

When I've finished with Red Country, will probably start up Slaughter-House Five or finish The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'm also considering a reread of The Hobbit + LOTR.

I'm continuing with Twenty Years After by Alexander Dumas. This will probably take me most of the month.

Good to see the responses to mjgambino's post above, as if I enjoy this (so far so good) I intend to tackle the final book. Not immediately, as with my slow rate of reading I limit the number of large books I read.

In the fall I started but did not finish Katherine the Great, started but did not finish the last Fifty Shades, finally finished Cloud Atlas, and started Girl Gone yesterday. I read slowly so it'll probably get me through the year.

Well, I've gotten myself rather behind on reviews. I still need to write-up reviews for Of Blood and Honey by Stina Leicht (excellent - probably the best book I've read this year), Zoo City by Lauren Buekes (good, but I expected it to be better), and Shadow Ops: Fortress Frontier by Myke Cole (excellent). I'm currently reading The Half-Made World by Felix Gilman, which is turning out to be very good - subtle, intelligent writing. I've heard great things about it, now I'm wondering why I waited so long to read it.

I finished The Wizard Hunters by Martha Wells, and while hate is strong word I really did not enjoy it all. I am now reading The Spirit War by Rachael Aaron, which halfway through is a lot more fun. I am also working on The Light Fantastic by Pratchett, but I enjoy almost everything by him.

It was a great (or terrible) year, depending on your viewpoint, I guess. I enjoyed it immensely.

I read White Luck Warrior and Dance with Dragons, but that was the extent of my new reading. However, I did reread a great number of old favorites, included The Long Price Quartet, Dune (entire original series), Kingkiller Chronicles (around 3 times!!), Villette, and a number of others I can't recall right now. I'm finishing up the year with The Silmarillion. From there I'll probably move on (back) to Lord of the Rings and The Second Apocalypse series.

I've really got to get my butt in gear and get some new books. It's just that I so love the old ones!

The last Fifty Shades? You read the first two? :ack:

They were such a rage, I had too. After the first 100th sex scene, I'd skim them to get to the simple story of poor poor Grey. Alas, I couldn't do it after a while. Don't hate me because I like pop culture and had to check this out!! :lol:

Not really sure what I mentioned the last time I posted. I finished the final book in Wooding's Braided Path, The Ascendancy Veil. Recommended for fans of the author.

Got halfway into Lord of Slaughter by MD Lachlan before putting it down. Like Fenrir, it started off well, but it quickly turned a slog. I'm a little disappointed in how this series turned out for me, but that's probably just me. I have been having a rather disappointing year for books.

Which might explain why I liked Cold Days, but didn't love it like many seemed to. After the "oomph" of Changes and Ghost Story, this one felt too much like a stereotypical Dresden plot, like Butcher was trying too hard to get things back to normal. Still looking forward to the next book.

And this morning I got about a third into Osama by Lavie Tidhar. It's interesting so far.

Archived