Why did Illyrio give Dany the eggs?

nekrohsis

I've had a couple of thoughts on this idea. Firstly, going by what Varys tells Kevan, Aegon has undergone things that no king generally does. He is taught many things and seemingly has been raised like a commoner. Giving him a very expensive dragon egg is something that might take away from that experience. If that makes any sense!

Secondly, a young man carrying around a dragon's egg is going to draw attention to himself, something that I don't think they wanted at that time.

And third, I don't suppose they really expected the eggs to hatch! They were just pretty presents, or at least that's the feeling I got.

I second this, they were basically jewels. What good woud they serve Aegon?

What I´d like to know is, how did Illyrio obtain these real dragoneggs? The dragoneggs sold on the eastern markets seem to be painted stones.

Did, maybe, the Red Priest, that was present at the wedding, supply Illyrio with them under the condition to give them to Dany or did Varys somehow come across them in King´s Landing?

I'm pretty sure it's because he knew she had a decent chance of hatching them. Maybe it takes a woman to hatch them. That is something we don't know for sure. Also...I'm sure he knew Viserys was going to die fairly quickly when he drove Drogo insane with his incessant complaining so that's why he didn't give the eggs to him.

In the end I think Illyrio and Varys are counting on Dany to help Aegon win the Iron Throne.

What I´d like to know is, how did Illyrio obtain these real dragoneggs? The dragoneggs sold on the eastern markets seem to be painted stones.

Did, maybe, the Red Priest, that was present at the wedding, supply Illyrio with them under the condition to give them to Dany or did Varys somehow come across them in King´s Landing?

In one of the Dunk and Egg books there is a dragon egg that Bloodraven recovers and it is strongly thought that accounts for one of them. From there who knows how Varys or Illyrio might have ended up with it / them.

I'm not sure how Illyrio obtain them but I'm pretty sure that all 3 eggs are the same eggs from Dunk and Egg. The colors are not exact but are so close we cant say their not

1. Prove to Drogo that she was who they claimed she was (he paid a lot of money to marry her).

2. Give her something valuable with which to pay for ships and maybe a sellsword army down the line.

And honestly I think that's it. The idea that they gave her the eggs knowing she'd hatch them has no basis in the text.

I think they're actual Targaryen family stash eggs.

1. Prove to Drogo that she was who they claimed she was (he paid a lot of money to marry her).

2. Give her something valuable with which to pay for ships and maybe a sellsword army down the line.

And honestly I think that's it. The idea that they gave her the eggs knowing she'd hatch them has no basis in the text.

I just have a strong hunch he knew she had a chance of hatching them. If not, he knew the value of them could help her out. If either he or Varys has a deep connection to the Targs (which seems likely) they may know something of dragon lore that we haven't been made aware of.

I just have a strong hunch he knew she had a chance of hatching them. If not, he knew the value of them could help her out. If either he or Varys has a deep connection to the Targs (which seems likely) they may know something of dragon lore that we haven't been made aware of.

I still see absolutely nothing that suggests this, sorry. The events that led up to the hatching — let alone the hatching itself — were totally out of anyone's control — Drogo being wounded, Mirri failing to save him, the blood magic transfer, Dany choosing to burn Mirri alive in the pyre. Illyio and Varys are not omnipotent. By Martin's own words, the hatching was a "miracle," a freak occurrence. That by definition means that it could not have been reasonably foreseen or planned on.

I'm pretty sure it's because he knew she had a decent chance of hatching them. Maybe it takes a woman to hatch them. That is something we don't know for sure. Also...I'm sure he knew Viserys was going to die fairly quickly when he drove Drogo insane with his incessant complaining so that's why he didn't give the eggs to him.

In the end I think Illyrio and Varys are counting on Dany to help Aegon win the Iron Throne.

That seems like a reach. If there was a known way to hatch dragon eggs then Illyrio would have used all his connections to make that happen, he wouldn't have entrusted that task to a child.

Also Viserys died because he was impatient, if Illyrio knew he was going to die then he wouldn't have insisted multiple times that Viserys stay in Pentos instead of moving with the Dothraki.

Quick question: Why was Illryio all in with giving all 3 dragon eggs to Dany?

How about saving some for Aegon?

Would be useful to his claim? Symbolic of Targaryen which could only aid him? Valuable? He could use it as financial resources?

This I don't get. Give her one, give Aegon two....? Trying to compromise here. LOL!

Apple Martini, yes I know and agree with this possibility, but I hoped for some new ideas. :)

And I think your first point is the most logical reason for Illyrio to give the eggs. I thought there might be another party involved in the deal, that might have had an idea how the eggs could be hatched.

Oh, crap.

You think there are more, Apple? I never really thought of it. Any hints in the series?

I always figured, hey, we are waiting on book 6, nothing else has hatched. LOL! And so much is made of the number 3...the Mother of dragons....etc...

And then I don't like the idea of dragons cancelling each other out on opposite sides. But warging, would have one side contolling those three and any more...if it came down to that, or I guess the rider situation depending on what that is.

Jon Conn has some for Aegon? Varys or Illyrio do? Aegon has them but it hasn't been mentioned? Would love thoughts of what could be more likely.

Oh, crap.

You think there are more, Apple? I never really thought of it. Any hints in the series?

I always figured, hey, we are waiting on book 6, nothing else has hatched. LOL! And so much is made of the number 3...the Mother of dragons....etc...

And then I don't like the idea of dragons cancelling each other out on opposite sides. But warging, would have one side contolling those three and any more...if it came down to that, or I guess the rider situation depending on what that is.

Jon Conn has some for Aegon? Varys or Illyrio do? Aegon has them but it hasn't been mentioned? Would love thoughts of what could be more likely.

Who the hell knows, but if Illyrio did have multiple Targs/fake Targs he was juggling, and he had no reason to think that Dany would hatch the eggs, it doesn't make sense to give all the eggs to one Targ. Literally putting all his eggs in one basket. I wouldn't be surprised if Aegon did have an egg or two or three, etc. Doesn't mean he'll ever hatch them, but they'd be a way to prove he is who they claim he is.

There were five dragon eggs that the last Targ dragon laid, plus any more that the family had left over. So if Dany's eggs really are from the family stash — and the color patterns seem to match some historical eggs (green and cream, red and black, white/silver and gold); even if they're not the exact same eggs, it stands to reason that could've come from the same clutch — it means that we're still short at least two eggs and probably more.

ETA: And if we're in for another Dance of the Dragons, that seems to imply that dragons will be used by both sides. If only one side has dragons, it's not a Dance of the Dragons, it's One Side Burning the Other Up Easily With Dragons.

If those 3 eggs are the same from the D&E novellas(which imo I do not think) then where are the other 2 eggs from the clutch of five that the last dragon left??

Well that is the $64,000 question, isn't it. :P

ETA: Also, in Egg's time every Targ baby had a dragon egg in the cradle. Considering that even Egg had one, the youngest son of a youngest son, it follows that the family had quite a few to spare. Far as I'm concerned, five eggs is the absolute minimum, only based on what the last dragon laid; there could be many, many more. And hey, if Dany's eggs really are from Asshai (which I don't believe for a second), then that only increases the number of possible Targ family eggs still in play.

Well that is the $64,000 question, isn't it. :P

ETA: Also, in Egg's time every Targ baby had a dragon egg in the cradle. Considering that even Egg had one, the youngest son of a youngest son, it follows that the family had quite a few to spare. Far as I'm concerned, five eggs is the absolute minimum, only based on what the last dragon laid; there could be many, many more. And hey, if Dany's eggs really are from Asshai (which I don't believe for a second), then that only increases the number of possible Targ family eggs still in play.

Egg also states that besides the clutch of 5 there are more on Dragonstone.

Egg also states that besides the clutch of 5 there are more on Dragonstone.

Yet none were found when Loras searched it, apparently... Though they might have shifted some when Darry fled and others might have been looted in the chaos. They were going to sell the kids after all.

Archived