Why did Illyrio give Dany the eggs?

nekrohsis

You quote Dany in AGOT, and even in ADWD she would have been wrong about her own family so no help here. Marwyn might put some weight in her head (or is it too late already?).

Also, useful to keep in mind dynasty PR is in full force with the targs. If they want to make you believe they settled in Dragonstone from the start, or their dragons are invincible weapons, they'll make do, by whatever means possible.

Who writes Dany's character and her dialog?

Since Dany was about six when they left the Darrys house, Viserys would have been 14 and quite able to teach her math,english,valyrian,reading and writing. btw what six year old does not know how to read?

Well actually that could be true, although all Dany really needed to know was how to speak High Valyrian (which she does). Her and Viserys's various changeable 'protectors' could of had her tutored , a little bit.

Ι think that one of Dany's ancestors was a girl, called Daenys the Dreamer. She had prophetic dreams and persuaded her family to leave Valyria 12 years before the Doom. I think that they went to Dragonstone first and then Aegon contemplated in invading Westeros or Essos and chose Westeros. The only family that is also from Valyria and are related to the Targaryens are the Velaryons. Aegon the Conqueror's mother was a Velaryon. I don't think that Dany's feelings about slavery have anything to do with her House. Slavery was abolished in Westeros long before the Targaryens came. Dany does not approove of slavery for the following reasons:

• Basically Viserys and Illyrio sold her to Drogo
  • Being against slavery makes her more westerosi, a reminder that she is in fact from Westeros, a place where slavery is not allowed

One solution could be , since the Wiki is not explicit about it, is that various high born Targaryens did reside at Dragonstone for hundreds of years.

Tho the impression I get from the books is that Aegon I , the conquerer , was the descendant of House Targaryen (or a branch of House Targaryen) who had occupied Dragonstone for a long long time.

Most smallfolk don't live in constant dread of being assassinated. I wouldn't call it comfortable.

Fair enough I exaggerated about the millions. But living in palaces and manses while being scared of nonexistent assassins (Robert never moved until she was pregnant) is nothing compared to sleeping in an alley in Fleabottom not knowing if you're going to starve, be raped or have your head bashed in for a copper.

Has it not occurred to anyone that Dany is a WOMAN - to be the mother of dragons I suspect you need to be a female - possibly a pregnant female

If Illyrio and Varys want Dragons no point giving them the Aegon or Viserys.

This has actually occurred to a few people, yes. Still doesn't mean that there was any expectation of the eggs hatching when they gave them to her, ladybits or not.

Has it not occurred to anyone that Dany is a WOMAN - to be the mother of dragons I suspect you need to be a female - possibly a pregnant female

Why would it have to be a mother that nurtures the eggs. IIRC it is the MALE penguin that takes care of the egg until it hatches...

Just saying

I disagree. From a noble perspective it's bad, but she and Viserys still seemed to live in relative comfort and ease during their exile.

Davos likely had a worse childhood than her as an orphan from the flea bottom. There are thousands if not millions of smallfolk who've had worse childhoods than her.

Davos had a rough childhood, he was poor and had to make his own living. Sandor was in a far worse position. He was a noble but at a very young age he was disfigured by Gregor. It was implied that Gregor Clegane is also responsible for the death of their sister. Imagine growing up and having Gregor as your older brother.

The difference with Dany though is that she was the last in the line of people such as Baelor Breakspear and Aemon the Dragonknight and after ser Willem's death she was on the run. The only person who raised her was Viserys and he often tortured and abused her. She grew up in a hostile environment fearing that Robert would send assasins after her and her childhood ended abruptly when she was given to the Dothraki and no one expected her to survive. Davos was just another kid, just like Dunk, Sandor escaped Gregot by entering the service of Tywin and Cersei but Dany was constantly scared and on the run. Not to mention that just like Tyrion, she was blamed for the death of her mother but unlike Tyrion who had Jaime, Dany only had Viserys. Also I must add that they were poor as well. In order to survive they sold Rhaella's crown and once the money were spent Viserys had to beg in order to survive. In CoK Dany mentions that she was familiar with the tricks of pickpockets because she had lived in same places like they did.

This has actually occurred to a few people, yes. Still doesn't mean that there was any expectation of the eggs hatching when they gave them to her, ladybits or not.

How did the Valyrians produce dragons and dragon mastering for 5000 years?

GRRM has never told us.

i still dont get how much money is worth and how rich some people are in asoiaf. so, 1 of these (unhatched) dragon eggs could buy an "army"? and he gave her THREE of those things, as a PRESENT?

let's assume that he doesnt just throw away half of his money - if the dragon egg's were worth about 5% of his whole fortune couldn't he just buy a ridiculously huge army and conquer of all westeros with ease? (it appears there still are more than enough sellswords without contract).. additionally he should be able to get 5-10 people killed via the faceless man.

and i guess, since it's mentioned nowhere, that there are people in essos who are even richer than illyrio...

Has not George not said the hatching of the dragons , as it happened in GOT, was a one-time-event?

A confluence of magical forces ... he has also said this in the context of "was it possible for Targs or Valyrians not to get burned"? He has said they indeed could , tho makes one wonder what the Valyrians did for 5000 years of dragon possession and training, I guess a lot of them got incinerated?

*Tho I don't see why 'normal' dragon hatching could not happen again if more eggs are found.

Season one just flat out implied that Dany had the 'real' Valyrian 'dragon blood' that produced the 'unburnt' attribute. I don't know if they will follow this formula in the future.

• 1 year later...

I really loved reading this topic, but I think everything went a bit off-topic at some points.

If I look at everything people said, it makes most sense that they gave it with the idea that Viserys and/or Dany actually would take along the Dothraki to westeros and raid the lands. And then Aegon VI would come in and 'be the good guy' to save westeros. Or maybe, if that would be better, just join up with the Dothraki. While they raid and plunder, he only had to siege and hold KL and after a while the king would starve and they could take over the throne with ease.

Anyway, I don't think they wanted Viserys to die, nor Dany. They were really hoping for them to take the Dothraki to westeros. And in fact, at first things kinda got screwed over for them, as Dany hatched the eggs. She was growing stronger and stronger. If she wasn't staying in Mereen, but instead would have went to westeros, she would have been a pain in the ass for Illyrio (and Viserys). They would have to convice her to takes sides for her nephew and help him get the Throne. However, her staying in Mereen was a good thing after the dragons came, because now they can take the throne before she can get a hold of it. And I don't see her take it from the real rightful heir (stating that the targaryens are still the rightful heirs and not the Baratheons). Or maybe she does.

Anyway, the eggs were a gift to 'seal the deal' IMO.

Archived