College Football 2012 VI: The Coaching Carousel and Bowl Prep

Rhom

I don't guess I hold football coaches to any moral highgrounds, though Petrino has a record of leaving on the job, which without proper notice is dead-on shitty, but I honestly think UT (or hell, any SEC school looking for a coach) is going to regret passing him over. Maybe he'll spend these next couple years rehabbing his image, and get back into the SEC regardless, but handing out jobs to mistresses aside, dude can coach. I see WKU beating UT next year and a full on Chernobyl in the Knox County local press.

Has he ever had a Job that 1. He left in a good postion? 2. some hugh crap storm did not happen right before he left? 3. came all of a sudden/surprise the hell out of a lot of people with the team? who didn't know what he was doing.

This will not end well, for anybody.

He might be the only person in the world, that I would wish would run in to a metal pipe, while on a Motorcycle going full speed.

He did an awesome job at Louisville. Now, they made a terrible hire when they replaced him and that set the program back, but I don't know if you can blame Petrino for that.

I think this article is the best breakdown on why stuff fell apart at Louisville that I've seen and also says alot about the reasons he has been successful.

At the University of Louisville, Petrino left a stable of starters -- including 10 players on offense alone who would eventually be drafted into the NFL -- but the best they could do was a 6-6 record in the season after he left and worse in the two seasons after. At Arkansas, John L. Smith took a team with SEC championship aspirations under Petrino and, in the wake of a scandal that cost Petrino his job, is going to be lucky to keep the program above water.

Under Petrino, something like a cell phone ringing in the offensive meeting room was a major infraction. If Paul Petrino heard a phone ring in one of his meetings, there was no telling what might happen. Forget confiscation, the phone would be lucky to survive, and the player might feel lucky to survive. In the first offensive meeting under Charlie Stubbs, Kragthorpe's new offensive coordinator, a phone rang, and players sat up in their seats, cringing almost reflexively. Stubbs stopped speaking, the phone rang once more before it could be silenced, there was an expectant moment of quiet, then he continued without acknowledging it.

It was a new day.

Even before that, the change was evident. The first time one position group showed up for some "voluntary" skeleton drills such as all teams run during the summer, they started to run the drills outlined on a sheet for them by the new coaches. About 15-20 minutes in, one player said to the other, "That's it." The others were confused. These were 45-minute or 1-hour drills under the predecessors. They'd gotten to the end of the list in a fraction of that time. They ran through the drills three more times, then stopped.

Wide receivers, accustomed to a precision attack in which coaches would literally measure out the steps that each player would run before cutting or making a move in his route, now were told, instead of how many steps, to go out seven yards and curl, or whatever the route was. The result was routes that wound up growing less precise.

The article as a whole is a fascinating look into how the personality of one person at head coach can make such a huge difference.

I agree that UT will regret passing over him.

I agree that UT will regret passing over him.

Butch Jones isn't chopped liver. He's a proven winner, a program builder and outstanding recruiter with a ton of connections. Petrino might have won more games there next year, but I think Jones will be better for that program in the long run.

Surprising no one, Texas Tech hires Kliff Kingsbury as head coach: http://usatoday.com/article/news/1765293

Art Briles turned them down, but most seem to think it was a courtesy that he was offered. Most Tech fans have been hot after Kingsbury since the beginning.

A good hire. Kingsbury has the potential to be a great head coach. However, there are some questions about whether or not he has the experience to assemble a solid coaching staff. One also has to wonder how good TAMU's offense will be next year, given their likely losses on the o-line and the loss of Kingsbury.

Butch Jones isn't chopped liver. He's a proven winner, a program builder and outstanding recruiter with a ton of connections. Petrino might have won more games there next year, but I think Jones will be better for that program in the long run.

Butch Jones is a very good coach, IMHO, but he hasn't really built up any programs. He inherited Central Michigan and Cincinnati from Brian Kelly. He did a great job keeping those programs at a high level, but Kelly was the one who brought them up to that level.

Butch Jones is a very good coach, IMHO, but he hasn't really built up any programs. He inherited Central Michigan and Cincinnati from Brian Kelly. He did a great job keeping those programs at a high level, but Kelly was the one who brought them up to that level.

True, "program builder" was a stretch. I guess now is his opportunity to try and do just that.

Stoops is already making waves in recruiting circles at UK!

He inked his first signees today. Picked up a 4 star JUCO DE from Mississippi and a highly regarded Tight End who is the son of WCW wrestler Sting. The prospect of having Sting himself showing up at Commonwealth Stadium is enough to get me excited! :lol:

He inked his first signees today. Picked up a 4 star JUCO DE from Mississippi and a highly regarded Tight End who is the son of WCW wrestler Sting. The prospect of having Sting himself showing up at Commonwealth Stadium is enough to get me excited! :lol:

No kidding. There is all kinds of cool pregame videos that can be made now with the signing of Steve Borden.

Picked up a 4 star JUCO DE from Mississippi and a highly regarded Tight End who is the son of WCW wrestler Sting. The prospect of having Sting himself showing up at Commonwealth Stadium is enough to get me excited! :lol:

Gods....

We really are not the same country, are we??? I would be aghast at such a prospect.

No kidding. There is all kinds of cool pregame videos that can be made now with the signing of Steve Borden.

I'm just hoping the kid paints his face like The Crow under his helmet!

Gods....

We really are not the same country, are we??? I would be aghast at such a prospect.

Its been years since I watched wrestling, but I remember fondly gathering in my dorm room and watching WCW and WWF on Monday nights. I looked at it askance as well, but there was one guy who was really into it and it grew on the rest of us.

ETA: However, I will say that I am legitimately excited about signing a 6'4" 240 lb Tight End who runs a 4.5. That's not the kind of news you get as a Kentucky fan just every day you know.

That 4-star Juco DE (Za'Darious Smith) was a coup for you guys. I've been following his recruitment for a few weeks and he's been viewed as a lock to either Ole Miss, MSU or A&M. MSU seemed to gain the upper hand the past few days so many assumed he would ink there - yet UK swooped in at the last second and got him. Stoops just hired his position coach last week, so it's a good bet that's how he ended up in Lexington. Great get.

Speaking of EMCC, they had 4 legit FBS prospects on their D-line this year! Florida and Kentucky now have one each signed, Ole Miss has one committed (May grad with 3 to play 3, can't sign til Feb) and the 4th is announcing between Ole Miss and Washington any minute now.

Its been years since I watched wrestling, but I remember fondly gathering in my dorm room and watching WCW and WWF on Monday nights. I looked at it askance as well, but there was one guy who was really into it and it grew on the rest of us.

Me too. Back in the day, some of my best college memories was of catching the latenight boradcasts of ECW on SportsChannel. And taking road trips up to Cincinnati and Dayton to watch tapings of Monday Nitro and Monday Night Raw.

That 4-star Juco DE (Za'Darious Smith) was a coup for you guys. I've been following his recruitment for a few weeks and he's been viewed as a lock to either Ole Miss, MSU or A&M. MSU seemed to gain the upper hand the past few days so many assumed he would ink there - yet UK swooped in at the last second and got him. Stoops just hired his position coach last week, so it's a good bet that's how he ended up in Lexington. Great get.

I was reading about him and got excited. I'm sure hiring the position coach is how we landed him, but it seemed like a solid hire on its own as well. Stoops has put together a heckuva staff and it is already paying dividends. Signing a prospect like Smith can sometimes signal that its "okay" to go to a school. I'm hoping he can be the first of several strong defensive recruits.

Speaking of the new coaching staff. While reading up on Neal Brown, I came across this very detailed and fascinating history of the Air Raid offense. The article is one of the most detailed yet easy to understand descriptions of the X's and O's of football that I've ever read. It starts with the history of the Air Raid offense from its origins at BYU to Hal Mumme's adoption of it at Valdosta State on to Kentucky and then its growth under Leach and others at TTU. Amazing read.

I'm sure hiring the position coach is how we landed him, but it seemed like a solid hire on its own as well.

I agree. Only one of the four D-line prospects for EMCC was highly regarded coming out of high school, so it stands to reason that coaching up got them where they are today.

While reading up on Neal Brown, I came across this very detailed and fascinating history of the Air Raid offense. The article is one of the most detailed yet easy to understand descriptions of the X's and O's of football that I've ever read. It starts with the history of the Air Raid offense from its origins at BYU to Hal Mumme's adoption of it at Valdosta State on to Kentucky and then its growth under Leach and others at TTU. Amazing read.

That is a great article. I found it last year after reading Mike Leach's book.

Archived