Small questions, because we can't get enough of them

Angalin

So was Sansa ever called the Lost Wolfling? I saw it on her wiki page but I've never read that anywhere before

Yeah that's weird, it even references Dance but it's never used. Stannis calls her Lady Lannister and the only time wolfling comes up is when the northmen attack Asha and Ramsay using it.

“Stark’s little wolflings are dead,” said Ramsay

Prince Maekar's sons were all dead except for Egg. Was this the result of kinslaying? It was an accident, tho.

Not all his sons were dead. Daeron and Aerion both died somewhat young (but also from their own actions), but Aemon ended up outliving Egg. He also had two daughters.

Hope this question belongs here:

So I hear that there is a World of Ice and Fire app!!??

I haven't been able to find it in the Android market does anyone know if it's available on Android?

Incidentally I did find a maps of Westeros/Essos app that is free and pretty damned amazing :drool:

It's just called Westeros Map

Hope this question belongs here:

So I hear that there is a World of Ice and Fire app!!??

I haven't been able to find it in the Android market does anyone know if it's available on Android?

Incidentally I did find a maps of Westeros/Essos app that is free and pretty damned amazing :drool:

It's just called Westeros Map

Not available for Android. As of now there are no plans for it to be made available for Android. http://grrm.livejournal.com/

Why is Stannis always associated with lobster?? Did I miss something in the book??? Because I can't remember statements about him being compared to a lobster?? Or it may be just fan-made..

Why is Stannis always associated with lobster?? Did I miss something in the book??? Because I can't remember statements about him being compared to a lobster?? Or it may be just fan-made..

It is HBO-made, Loras talks of Stannis as of having the personality of a lobster in the scene where he shaves Renly's chest in the first season. In the books, Stannis is never associated with lobsters.

Welcome to the forum, first-time poster!

Has anyone ever done a cataloging of the lengths of the known summer and winters?

Ones I can think of:

(1) the summer that ends in ADwD

(2) the is a summer mentioned/occurring in The Sword Sword

(3) Tyrion talks about a season change when he was young

(4) There is a winter ending around the time of the Robellion (might be the same as 3)

Has anyone ever done a cataloging of the lengths of the known summer and winters?

Ones I can think of:

(1) the summer that ends in ADwD

(2) the is a summer mentioned/occurring in The Sword Sword

(3) Tyrion talks about a season change when he was young

(4) There is a winter ending around the time of the Robellion (might be the same as 3)

Well, we have the Tourney at Harrenhal occurring in the year of the false spring, so winter was just ending, but we have a year of winter tha follows. This is probably what Tyrion remembers. and the single year of winter preceeding Brandon's wild ride to King's Landing is when Ashara and Elia give birth, by my accounting. Is it safe to assume that we have not had a winter since the rebellion?

Well, we have the Tourney at Harrenhal occurring in the year of the false spring, so winter was just ending, but we have a year of winter tha follows. This is probably what Tyrion remembers. and the single year of winter preceeding Brandon's wild ride to King's Landing is when Ashara and Elia give birth, by my accounting. Is it safe to assume that we have not had a winter since the rebellion?

Doesn't it mention somewhere that Jon remembers one short winter from when he was very young? He was born at the very end of the rebellion, so he couldn't remember that one.

Yeah that's weird, it even references Dance but it's never used. Stannis calls her Lady Lannister and the only time wolfling comes up is when the northmen attack Asha and Ramsay using it.

“Stark’s little wolflings are dead,” said Ramsay

The references surprised me too. And here, it refers more to Bran and Rickon than Sansa.

The references surprised me too. And here, it refers more to Bran and Rickon than Sansa.

Yeah that quote is definitely just Ramsay talking about Bran and Rickon so there's no misunderstanding. The 'Lost Wolfling' shows up nowhere in the books. Wolfling is barely used as it is. It doesn't even show up in google other than Sansa tumbler pages.

I would guess it's just some Sansanite doing a little creative writing. Too bad it made it on the page and with references no less though.

It's a nice title though anyways.

Are there rule's to warging? Like, can a warg thats in the North decide they want to be a shadow cat and warg one in the Vale or does it have to be around them? Would they have had to see the animal that they're trying to warg before or can they just warg into a random animal? I know its easier if there is a bond between the two but it isnt completely necessary.

Also, i've heard is said that Robb went to Grey Wind after his death and since Grey Wind died after too does that mean Robb is 100% gone or is there any chance he warged into something else? Or is it if your human body dies while your in it your just done?

I thought I remembered reading that there was a certain number of times you could die or something but I thought it was more than two but your mind just starts becoming more beast than man.

Are there rule's to warging? Like, can a warg thats in the North decide they want to be a shadow cat and warg one in the Vale or does it have to be around them? Would they have had to see the animal that they're trying to warg before or can they just warg into a random animal? I know its easier if there is a bond between the two but it isnt completely necessary.

Most likely there are rules to warging, but most of them haven't been spelled out and likely never will. Long distances can be dealt with if the connection is already formed (e.g. Arya wargs from Braavos to the Riverlands) but warging a random shadowcat in the Vale seems difficult if you don't even have a way to spell out which one you want to form your connection with. While I wouldn't put it past Bloodraven, ordinary wargs like Varamyr, Orrell, Jon Snow or the Stark kids (except Bran) most probably couldn't do it.

Also, i've heard is said that Robb went to Grey Wind after his death and since Grey Wind died after too does that mean Robb is 100% gone or is there any chance he warged into something else? Or is it if your human body dies while your in it your just done?

I thought I remembered reading that there was a certain number of times you could die or something but I thought it was more than two but your mind just starts becoming more beast than man.

Barring some very unexpected revelation, Robb is done because his potential second life (Grey Wind) has been ended too. The certain number of times you can die... I think you may be thinking of Varamyr's prologue, where he talks about the number of times he died - he meant experiencing death through warging an animal that died however, and that seems to be completely different. If the animal you're warging dies, you just revert to your true body. If your true body dies, your "essence" can slip into an animal, most likely the one you already have a strong bond with. There's no indication that from your second life you could go on to a third.

ETA: And as is customary, I'll bring up the disclaimer that I do know that strictly speaking, "warging" only refers to slipping into wolves, and that with other animals I should use the word "skin-changing".

How many months are in a year for them?

Is it 12 like us or is it something else, because their winters and summers vary in length.

It's 12 like us and the length of a year is defined astronomically as going once around the sun. According to GRRM:

"Twelve moon tuns to a year, as on earth. Even on our earth, years have nothing to do with the seasons, or with the cycles of the moon. A year is a measure of a solar cycle, of how long it takes the earth to make one complete revolution around the sun. The same is true for the world of Westeros. Seasons do not come into it."

If you want to be really exact about it, of course while 12 is the number of months in our world, it is not the exact number of moon turns per year. GRRM made the above statement in a chat-interview, so he didn't have the time and probably not the inclination to go into the full detail about the relationship between months and moon turns... and as they don't seem to be used that rigerously by Westerosi, we're probably safe enough if we neglect that difference as well.

Doesn't it mention somewhere that Jon remembers one short winter from when he was very young? He was born at the very end of the rebellion, so he couldn't remember that one.

I have never been able to place the one that Jon remembers, simply because it would be so soon after the rebellion which started after a winter ended. Could they have had more than one false spring? Jon remembers building his own fire during the winter, so he must be a little older, too. It could have been a very short winter. Jon's winter has always been a frustration to placing it properly in the timeline.

Archived