Which mysteries would you rather REMAIN unsolved?

georgiatargaryen

I guess Gerion Lannister - I noticed there are quite a few people wanting to know what his fate was, or even assume that he is alive and well and igcognito, amongst other theories.

I'm actually fine not knowing what happened to him, or for him to suddenly appear again. His disapearance kind of adds to the eerieness of Valyria and The Smoking Sea.

• 1 month later...

I like things left unstated or hanging. I hope we never learn about :

1. Summerhall

2. The Doom

3. Lord Rickard's Southron ambitions

4. Knight of LT

5. If Aegon is real

6. Who Jon's parents really are

7. Mel and the Red Priest's Motivations

8. The FM and what Jaqen is up to in The Citadel

9. Whether Doran Martell ever gets around to thinking about possibly doing something someday.. Maybe.. Later..

10. Whether Dragon blood is relevant

11. The horn of Joramun, is it real or not?

12. Will The Other's invade? What do they want?

13. Who is Azor Ahai, and who is TPTWP? What does it mean?

14. Who are the three heads of the Dragon?

15. What is Marwyn up to?

16. Who is Quaithe, and is she helping Dany or leading her astray?

17. What the significance of HOTU and Quaithe's prophecies are.

18. Can Euron's horn really bind the dragons?

19. Can Dany control the Dragons, and what effect will they have on the WW?

20. What are Bloodraven's motivations?

The only things I need answered are :

1. What is Hotpie's recipe for sour cherry tarts?

2. What happened to Shitmouth?

3. How many characters has Syrio become so far?

4. What happened to the Dragon that Summer saw escaping from Winterfell during the fire?

5. What does Hodor mean?

6. How cool is Blood of the Dragon? Like, really cool? Cuz Dany has all the dragin's blud, and u know it cuz all her family has incest and stuff, which makes her really, really dragon bloody, thats why she cant git burnded and stuff.

7. Narrowing down the possible identity of Septa Lemore to at least less than 40% of all women mentioned in the novel will suffice, thank you.

8. The names of all 79 secret Targs. Duh, they got dragon blud and stuff, derp derp.

so basically you don't want the last two books lol because what you don't care about will probably be answered

Agreed. Another example of a place being a mystery to the characters and therefore is all the better for remaining a mystery to the reader.

Also I think unless GRRM has a big, plot-affecting return planned for the Hound, I'd quite like it if we were never sure what actually happened to him.

If the Hound returns I think it will be for a big reason.

The Great Other's name

I think it's pretty clear this is "Voldemort."

The Others -- give us something but not everything. Perhaps their motives but not their origins or maybe their origins but not their motives.

Pretty sure we're getting both of these, because I'm satisfied I know them both. (There is one niggle about them that still bothers me, though.)

As for my pet mystery... I personally never want to read the explanation of how the First Men found the Seastone Chair sitting on Old Wyk.

I have been around the block with that half a dozen times and never gotten anywhere, and if there's no explanation, possibly it never happened, in which case I can't blame myself for failing.

Similarly: if Syrio really did let Meryn Trant kill him for no apparent reason, I never need to read about it.

The biggest mystery I would like to remain mystery would be the Others. I'm not implying that I want no explanation of them whatsoever. I would be fine with a vague understanding. However, I will be very put off if they are over-explained midachlorian style......talk about suck.

I also don't want it to be some big misunderstanding or other such nonesense. I prefer them as an existential threat. Almost like a horrible act of nature.

The only one that can think of is I really don't wanna know what happened to Benjen. I thought he was gonna be with the CotF but unless they're hiding him for whatever particular reason, he's not. Therefore any "Benjen living off the land in the far north with winter coming by himself for years" solution is gonna irk me to no end.

Archived