Jojen's future

Brownk48

Hasn't brynden rivers always served the realm faithfully before he became one with the weirwood? Why would he help the Others destroy the realm he spent most of his life protecting? And we know bran has a genuinely kind heart and we know he is smart enough not to be tricked into serving a force that may bring down westeros. Why would these two help the others?

I think Mel is wrong in assuming BR and bran are tools of the great other like we've seen her misinterpret other visions. I feel BR, bran and Mel are on the same side but Mel simply misinterpreted their purpose.

I think jojen is down simply because he has seen his own fate. Not because he led bran to someone who will use him to support the Others. He even mentioned in the last bran chapter in adwd that bran wasn't the one who need worry.

When bran was falling with the three eyed crow and looked into the heart of winter, the crow said now u see why u must fly, because winter is coming. Or something along those lines. But I assumed what he saw to the north, in the heart of winter was some kind of force that could bring an end to westeros. The raven was telling him he must fly(live) to counter this force.

So, I feel jojen is only depressed because he has seen his own end and can no longer offer a whole lot of help in taking on the Others. As old as he acts and seems, he is still just a child, scared of leaving his world and finding out what the great mystery of death brings us.

I agree with all of this. BR is the sole person who ended the Blackfyre Rebellion by killing all of them with his bow and then losing his eye to Bittersteel in single combat. The CoF would not give the Night's Watch obsidian to kill the Others if they are actually in an alliance with the Great Other. Why would they give weapons to defeat themselves? I agree that Jojen is depressed with the fact that he knows his death is near and is a slave to his own visions instead of trying to prevent them. He was always calm because he knew he wasn't going to die in a certain situation but has stopped referencing that. If he knew that BR was actually the big bad guy or his supporter, I think he would tell Bran even if it meant that all three of them would die. He is just lost without a purpose in life anymore. Also I approved of your witticism, some people really need a sense of humor on this site.

The CoF would not give the Night's Watch obsidian to kill the Others if they are actually in an alliance with the Great Other.

Make sure you read my previous post.

It's possible the Others are created as a weapon, some think. The way Coldhands is controlled suggests they might have been created to be controlled, but control was lost for some reason (I doubt cutting down weirwoods helped, for example).

I'm not ready to dismiss the entire idea of the alliance I suggested based on one thing that the Children armed the Brothers with obsidian. I think there is too much in support to be overthrown by one thing. You must needs do better.

Yes, but you need to look at what Martin might be trying to tell us. You say you want "concrete" evidence, but where is the fun in that? If it was "true" by yourt standards, then Bran would have said something like, "This paste taste a little like Jojen steaks." I just don't think Martin is going to write that.

Look at what he did write, however. Jojen believes he is going to die very soon. Coldhands cannibalized the Black Brothers following them and fed them to everyone - this is true not just because it's unlikely Coldhands could have caught a pig, but there is no description of a "pig on a spit" we are just simply told it is a pig, and man flesh is like pork. And then the awkward momnent where "Only Bran and Jojen were aware of what was going on." Aware of what? Not just that the Black Brother's died, but I think it's clear they're eating them. And then you get to the cave, and there are bones everywhere and it is clear that the Children appreciate dark rituals due to this - such rituals will commonly involve blood or human sacrifice, so it makes sense. And then when Bran gets the paste, he thinks it looks like blood in it. And the paste is clearly magical (blood magic possible) because of the way he does not like it at first but then loves it by the end. There is a spell in it and we know blood magic works well, so why not? And then when he goes to see Jojen and Meera, they are not there. No more Jojen.

It seems pretty clear to me. It is not a wild theory. It has serious backing.

It does not have any backing, that is such a crackpot theory and you have no evidence to back it up, everything you stated is speculation. The only time Bran eats human flesh is when he wargs into Summer. There is simply no backing to support your theories. You say it yourself "where is the fun in that?" you are trying to speculate details that weren't meant to be thought twice about. You also say Bran see's blood in the paste, that's because it clearly states Weirwood sap is the color blood-red (straight from the wiki), so there is none of what you call "blood magic involved". Jojen seemed aware of what was happening refers to the argument brewing between Bran and Coldhands lol. And because there are bones on the floor of the cave the children now enjoy dark magic according to you?! thats utterly ridiculous. And the pig that he caught came from the black brothers, I mean if there was humans, there must have been food with them, Just debunked your entire crackpot theory that you seem to think is legit. Good day to you

I mean if you at least acknowledged that you theory was extremely crackpot i wouldn't have a problem, but you seem to think that its legit and you've figured out what thousands of other people haven't, like you're some sort of genius, which you are clearly not.

You don't "catch" a dead pig that is carried in someone's pack. And you don't lie instead of saying, "I took this from the men who were following us."

When Bran saw the paste had red in it, he "supposed" it must be tree sap. You say this is entire speculation, but how are you any different? Along with the 10 year old boy Bran, you are "supposing" it must be tree sap. You are "supposing" that Coldhands stole the Black Brother's food, despite you have no proof at all that it was real pig. Honestly, if I was north of the Wall with me and you hiding out in some freezing hell whole and I went out to "hunt" and found some Rangers and killed them, I'd carve up some meat and bring it back. I'd tell you it was pig too, especially if you're just a kid. Or should I show up and say, "Children, I'm home. Stoke the fire, we're having roast ranger tonight."

You are speculating yourself. Do not deny it. And you are failing to take advantage of the hints Martin has put there. That Bran only "supposed" it was tree sap. That Bran and Jojen were actually a bit uneasy about eating man flesh. That the Children have a dark side.

Just as crackpot as mine, but twice as naive.

Make sure you read my previous post.

It's possible the Others are created as a weapon, some think. The way Coldhands is controlled suggests they might have been created to be controlled, but control was lost for some reason (I doubt cutting down weirwoods helped, for example).

I'm not ready to dismiss the entire idea of the alliance I suggested based on one thing that the Children armed the Brothers with obsidian. I think there is too much in support to be overthrown by one thing. You must needs do better.

I did read your previous posts. All you did was ask questions without providing proof. The only one you did back was Coldhands feeding Crows to them claiming them to be pigs.

The Jojen paste theory isn't really that crackpot. Cannibalism is mentioned a lot in ADWD and all throughout the final Brann chapter he looks for them and can't find them and the moon is mentioned multiple times as resembling a knife. I feel like both of you are just getting annoyed by each other and taking a debate to be a personal issue. The topic is Jojen's future. Jojen may very well have known that he is going to be eaten by Bran but my biggest doubt into a very credible Jojen Paste theory is that he mentions too often that "today is not the day I die" for them not to show his death. It is possible that Bran sees Jojen letting them paste him up willingly, but BR has done too much for the realm to just risk Bran abandoning him over something like that.

You don't "catch" a dead pig that is carried in someone's pack. And you don't lie instead of saying, "I took this from the men who were following us."

When Bran saw the paste had red in it, he "supposed" it must be tree sap. You say this is entire speculation, but how are you any different? Along with the 10 year old boy Bran, you are "supposing" it must be tree sap. You are "supposing" that Coldhands stole the Black Brother's food, despite you have no proof at all that it was real pig. Honestly, if I was north of the Wall with me and you hiding out in some freezing hell whole and I went out to "hunt" and found some Rangers and killed them, I'd carve up some meat and bring it back. I'd tell you it was pig too, especially if you're just a kid. Or should I show up and say, "Children, I'm home. Stoke the fire, we're having roast ranger tonight."

You are speculating yourself. Do not deny it. And you are failing to take advantage of the hints Martin has put there. That Bran only "supposed" it was tree sap. That Bran and Jojen were actually a bit uneasy about eating man flesh. That the Children have a dark side.

Just as crackpot as mine, but twice as naive.

lol at least im not denying that there is a big possibility my theories are wrong, you are set on thinking you've outsmarted GRRM himself. Bran is told it is tree sap he doesn't assume, if everyone was to use your way of thinking, nothing in GRRM's universe can be confirmed, So maybe Aerys was a good king and everyone else was just out to get him, maybe danerys isn't a targaryen, I mean she has blonde hair but what other proof do you have?!?!?! Also I'm pretty sure littlefinger is Bran and Rickon's father, what proof do you have that its not huh? You have 30 posts and you only joined less than 2 weeks ago, so maybe do a little extra reading before you think you can outsmart George RR Martin and thousands of board users that have been here for years. (Btw those questions were sarcastic, just thought you might need help identifying that, it seems like you need it).

There's multiple threads and tens probably hundreds of posts discussing Jojen paste with divided opinion, given the foreshadowing if it's not the case it is almost certainly an intentional red herring, with regards to the meat Cold Hands brings back to Bran, opinion is not so divided on those cuts being off the black brothers.

Well this is the thing, the Others either might not be evil, or they might be at least misunderstood. Are the Others trying to destroy the realm? Do you have proof? That is an assumption. Saying the Others want to destroy the realm is no different than saying Dany wants to destroy the realm. They might both be invaders, yes, but who's to say that the Others do not have a right to do so? Dany wants to reclaim the realm. If there is a connection between the Others and the Children and the Starks, it is entirely possible that the Others are a tool used by the Children to reclaim their lost Kingdom, along with the firstmen (Starks) who also worship the old gods and respect the same things the Children do.

Well this is the thing, the Others either might not be evil, or they might be at least misunderstood. Are the Others trying to destroy the realm? Do you have proof? That is an assumption. Saying the Others want to destroy the realm is no different than saying Dany wants to destroy the realm. They might both be invaders, yes, but who's to say that the Others do not have a right to do so? Dany wants to reclaim the realm. If there is a connection between the Others and the Children and the Starks, it is entirely possible that the Others are a tool used by the Children to reclaim their lost Kingdom, along with the firstmen (Starks) who also worship the old gods and respect the same things the Children do.

You have jumped to a conclusion that every block headed Black Brother and Wildling makes. Open you eyes and mind and try to think more objectively.

I appreciate that you had this idea, but I think you missed something.

Mel describes an arch nemesis as something like sitting in shadow, one eyed - she is describing Bloodraven, her ultimate foe.

When you say "Same side" you are meaning sides of good and evil, I think. Which is where you er. Niether are good and evil, I think. They are simply two forces fighting each other for domination. In which case, Mel has not misinterpreted her foe. She has merely identified him for us. That Mel points the finger at Bloodraven when she is actively fighting the Others paints a clear connection between Bloodraven, the Children and the Others (assuming Mel is right, which I think she is in this at least).

But if I'm right, then Jojen also worships the old gods and thus is allied with the Others. He would not be sad about it. I think he is sad because he will die, but he does his duty anyway for the greater good (aiding the Others and the old gods).

Ugh. Sorry saga white fawn. I'm trying to respond on my phone and I keep hitting wrong buttons and reposting ur response to me.

Anyway, here goes. I know how Martin is about the whole good evil thing and there r no defined lines there. But we know a lot about dany and we know she doesn't want to destroy the realm. And maybe I should have used different wording about the Others advancing south rather then to destroy it. But I do know the others kill people, not just soldiers but women and children also, in order to create an army of the unwilling dead. We obviously know dany doesn't hurt anyone unless she feels it is totally needed. I'm sure the others, in their own way can justify what their doing, whether it's for the survival of their race or simply to conquer a foreign land. But either way, I still don't buy BR and bran supporting the Others when they know their killing to create an army of wights. Not only that, why would the wights try to attack and kill bran and his crew when they entered the cave if bran is supposed to be there to support their cause?

And I truly have lost confidence in Mel. I feel like she sees things that r to come but can't interpret them properly. She thinks stannis is the savior of the realm and I m almost positive she is wrong there!! And also, when she saw BR and bran in her fires she saw Jon snows face right after. Is he supporting the others as well??

Yes, but you need to look at what Martin might be trying to tell us. You say you want "concrete" evidence, but where is the fun in that? If it was "true" by yourt standards, then Bran would have said something like, "This paste taste a little like Jojen steaks." I just don't think Martin is going to write that.

I don't want concrete evidence so much as concrete logic. There is no concrete example that Aegon isn't Aegon or R+L=J, but the logic behind many of their arguments is solid (not to mention backed by multiple strands of evidence built up over a considerable period of time). Jojenpaste simply isn't.

Jojen believes he is going to die very soon.

Not sure he ever says he's going to die "very" soon (or even soon), just that he knows when he will die.

Coldhands cannibalized the Black Brothers following them and fed them to everyone - this is true not just because it's unlikely Coldhands could have caught a pig, but there is no description of a "pig on a spit" we are just simply told it is a pig, and man flesh is like pork. And then the awkward momnent where "Only Bran and Jojen were aware of what was going on." Aware of what? Not just that the Black Brother's died, but I think it's clear they're eating them

So maybe Jojen ate Meera and the CotF! He's aware what's going on after all. Not evidence. Non sequitur. Jojen realising he's eating human does not correlate with him being murdered by the CotF.

And then you get to the cave, and there are bones everywhere and it is clear that the Children appreciate dark rituals due to this - such rituals will commonly involve blood or human sacrifice, so it makes sense.

Again, non sequitur. In the cave we have bones that "could have" been from children, and bones from animals and possibly Giants. Now, we're told that when Bran and co. enter the cave, Hodor has to crouch to get through the passages. What chance then would a Giant have to get through these caves? The far more likely and logical explanation would be that over time the earth has moved the masses of bones from surface corpses down as the terrain has been rearranged. Bones=Jojenpaste does not follow.

And then when Bran gets the paste, he thinks it looks like blood in it

I'm about to have a glass of Cranberry Juice. The four of them eat "blood stew" everyday in the caves. Not evidence.

And the paste is clearly magical (blood magic possible) because of the way he does not like it at first but then loves it by the end. There is a spell in it and we know blood magic works well, so why not?

"Why not?" Is not evidence.

And then when he goes to see Jojen and Meera, they are not there. No more Jojen.

Or Meera (at that specific time in that specific place within a very small area of a massive cave network). Where is the Meerapaste theory? Far more likely is that they were kept away from meeting Bran after he had just seen his father at the time when he was praying to the Weirwood after bringing Jon back because they most likely know about R+L.

It seems pretty clear to me. It is not a wild theory. It has serious backing.

Once you have logical evidence it will cease being a wild theory. Until then. I'll give you credit though, you've not brought out the classic "The moon looks like a knife Jojenisdead!" or "One of the CotF has a name which has knife in it Jojenisdead" "theories".

The official Song of Ice and Fire Wiki explicitly states that Bran ate a paste of weirwood seeds in order to have his heart tree visions. I take that as pretty definite proof that Jojen wasn't in the paste. Also, Jojen does not have a place of death in the wiki whereas another questionable death from ADWD, Jon Snow, does. It also states that Jojen is growing sullen and sits by the mouth of the cave for hours at a time just looking at the forest.

Cannibalism is a running theme in this series. Its in ASOS when Tyrion sends off the singer to be made into a "bowl o' brown." And again when Bran tells the story of the Rat Cook. Also, Manderly's son is fed human flesh IIRC. And it is really prevalent in ADWD from Frey Pie to Skaggosi rumors to Stannis' starving troops to the Night's Watch traitors who killed Mormont (and were then eated by Bran and Co. If this foreshadows anything, IMO, it foreshadows Frey Pie. There seems to be a connection between violation of guest rights and cannibalism (Rat Cook, Black Brothers and Freys).

Saga Whitefield, I am going to attempt to disprove your theory as politely as possible because as I disagree with it, that does not make you an idiot.

First the Jojen paste because it's just easier and shorter. Clash of Kings soft cover second Jon chapter page 204 The Old Bear to Jon while holding a skull which is a child's. ""The children of the forest could speak to the dead, it's said. But I can't.""

When I read the scene from Dance of Dragons where they encountered the bone pit in the cave I actually thought they were there to commune with, perhaps Bloodraven can draw on all of their knowledge. In the scene I quoted Jon took the skull from the mouth of a weirwood and it was in that context that Mormont referenced the cotf. Now this really doesn't disprove the Jojen paste theory but since you used it to indicate a sinister nature in the cotf, it takes away from your claim.

Second Dance with Dragons 460 "but as his life flowed out of him in a red tide, brandon Stark could taste the blood." Bran knows what blood tastes like, and he does not remark that the paste tasted like blood.

Now for your theory that I thought was totally crackpot and now think at least has merit and hey who knows what grrm is gonna do. I have to start with the 2 possible ways we have been presented with White Walkers being created/born/whatever that I can see. We are told by Sam and Old Nan that White Walkers sleep in ice for thousands of years. We are told by Jon in A Storm of Swords on page 665 that

"Ygritte said they opened a hundred graves... graves of kings and heroes, all over the valley of the Milkwater, but they never..." his statement never was in reference to finding the horn of Joramun, what he doesn't know is he already held the horn... but thats another story.

And we are told by Ygritte on page 412 of Storm of Swords that "I'm crying because we never found the Horn of Winter. we opened half a hundred graves and let all those shades loose in the world, and never found the Horn of Joramun to bring this cold thing down!" She spoke these words from atop the wall.

These quotes together suggest to me that if men are buried in the North, possibly in areas overtaken by glaciers, after a very long period of time they become White Walkers. However I also see another option which could tie into this or possibly work on its own, all be it I cannot form the concept as completely as I would like too. Shades does not have to mean White Walkers, in fact we have the example of Winterfell where people believe you need to keep spirits inside people's graves with the swords. So Ygritte's statement could be simply one of ghosts shades spirits all meaning the same thing all not being White Walkers.

In that case the other direction I can see has to do with Crasters sacrifices. There is too much to quote but I am looking at page 370 of Clash of Kings as I write this. Gilly tells them that Craster offers his sacrifices to the White Shadows, and given what we saw on HBO I think we can be reasonably sure that these are the White Walkers themselves. She also says that he does it

"come the white cold, he does, and of late it comes more often. That's why he started giving them sheep, even though he has a taste for mutton. Only now the sheep's gone too. Next it will be dogs, till..."

We know the Wights and or White Walkers will attack animals because of the bear involved in the attack on the Fist of the First men, but it is pretty confusing as to how this arrangement has come to be and what exactly it is. A sheep turned Wight is useless, as is a baby, but...

Gilly now from Storm of Swords page 644 when Small Pauls Wight catches up to Sam, Gilly, and the Babe "He's come for the babe," GIlly wept. "He smells him. A babe fresh-born stinks o' life. he's come for the life."

This points me to some sort of blood magic being used here, death paying for life that sort of thing. I really cant form this into anything concrete but perhaps the babies need to be sacrificed or eaten or something in order for the White Walkers to wake, which would create some sort of chicken and egg situation unless an outside force created them and then they were able to create more of themselves through said blood magic. This is where I started seeing your theory as plausible. If some sort of "life" is needed by the White Walkers then either "The Great Other" was created somehow and then began creating regular Others, or the ctof in a bitter moment having seen their attempts in breaking the arm and flooding the neck failed to stop men, created the Others to get rid of the humans. Now for some other facts.

1.) The cotf can ward their caves against the Wights and I believe White Walkers, however it must be noted that Bran the Builder could as well, and it is likely that Storms Ends magic would also keep them out so their ability to do this could mean nothing, or they could have provided this knowledge to those two people.

2.) The cotf are as best as can be ascertained, warm blooded life forms who would likely be as fine a target for a wight or White Walker as a human or bear.

3.) If the cotf created the Others, why have we been hearing about a great other for 4 books?

4.) We are told that the cotf provided the nights watch with obsidian blades

I see three options in the end

1.) The cotf created the others out of bitterness

2.) The Great Other Created the Others at some point for some reason we are yet privy too

3.) If humans are buried in the far north they become White Walkers and this would always have happened due to the great other or some other magic, and it started once humans moved into the area not due to anything else.

I would prescribe to the 2nd or the 3rd for this reason from this quote page 453 from Bran "Men would not be sad. Men would be wroth. men would hate and swear a bloody vengeance. The singers sing sad songs, where men would fight and kill."

Edit: This quote almost makes me think humans could have created the White Walkers via blood sacrifice, as humans can hatch dragons with blood sacrifices. Ygrittes pure hatred of the wall makes me think there could have been people with enough anger and hatred to offer their lives for revenge.

lol at least im not denying that there is a big possibility my theories are wrong, you are set on thinking you've outsmarted GRRM himself. Bran is told it is tree sap he doesn't assume, if everyone was to use your way of thinking, nothing in GRRM's universe can be confirmed

I did not ousmart Martin. I made use of the hints he left.

Reread the part. Bran is told it is weirwood seeds. He thinks to himself that it looks like blood is mixed in, but then it says he "supposes" it must be weirwood sap, without actually asking or being told. Bran does not know what it is, that is the truth we're told. What we do know is it is magic. We know this from the way he hates the first bite but loves the last - it is a salve that makes him soak into the seduction of the tree. Magic.

Now, whether Martin went into this level of detail, we wont know, but if you think of how the salve was made, it also supports the idea of being blood. If it was sap that was naturally stuck to the seeds, the entire salve would have been pink due to the way it was mashed up. But given that the red is only veins through the white, it was clearly intentionally added afterwards and then only lightly stirred through. So if it was sap, it was put in their intentionally. But I think the seeds would have been mashed first, and then they added the blood as they were casting the spell.

As for the roast rangers they ate, there is also another problem with what you're suggesting. 1. there are no "sows" (as it was described) just walking around north of the wall. If the ranger "found" it, it would have been a boar. But it does not mention boar. 2. it is described as bloody red chunks of meat. Rangers would carry dried or pre cooked meat, not raw steaks. For one, they last longer. Two, they are easier and ready to eat. Three, you can't always cook your raw meat because of smoke from fires giving away position. So why would rangers be carrying raw red meat as you suggest? True, they could have caught it themselves that very morning, but I'm just pointing out that your assumption requires just as much (perhaps more) explanation than mine does in order to make sense.

The Chilren are blood mages and cannibals.

I feel like both of you are just getting annoyed by each other and taking a debate to be a personal issue

It's okay. I'm having fun. The more I try to explain this to people, the more I learn and convince myself. That is why I come here.

Anyway, here goes. I know how Martin is about the whole good evil thing and there r no defined lines there. But we know a lot about dany and we know she doesn't want to destroy the realm. And maybe I should have used different wording about the Others advancing south rather then to destroy it. But I do know the others kill people, not just soldiers but women and children also, in order to create an army of the unwilling dead. We obviously know dany doesn't hurt anyone unless she feels it is totally needed. I'm sure the others, in their own way can justify what their doing, whether it's for the survival of their race or simply to conquer a foreign land. But either way, I still don't buy BR and bran supporting the Others when they know their killing to create an army of wights. Not only that, why would the wights try to attack and kill bran and his crew when they entered the cave if bran is supposed to be there to support their cause?

This is all very hard to know.

About Dany, she does not want to do anything she does. But the truth is she made the most vile scene imaginable in Astapor. As simple as Tyrion realizing to crown Myrcella was to kill her, to free Astapor was to slaughter its people. That is what Dany did, albeit accidently. Mereen is going down the EXACT same road. And now Dany looks set to lead Jaqho's khalisar... not a good picture. Another thing is Dany is not a forgiving person. She hates most of the lords of Westeros and failed to befriend Dorne, a lone supporter, when she had the chance. Her whole attitude about waking the dragon... I just think it's so obvious that she is really a destroyer, not a saviour.

As for the White Walkers killing people. The Heresey theory basically is that the WW are out of control. That they have a connection to the Children, but the Children have lost the control they had over them (such as they have over Coldhands, for example). I believe Bran and Jon (the KING of Winter) will restore that connection somehow and use the WW to save the north (and perhaps the realm).

So I suppose the WW are evil as it is now, but that is an accident and will be remedied. And if I am wrong, the fact is there is still an unusual story that has yet to be told about exactley who the Starks and Children are and what the F is going on with them all. Simply, a mindless killing machine race from an inhospitible frozen land descending on a helpless realm to slaughter children in their bed is uncharacteristically shallow and unlike Martin...

Again, non sequitur. In the cave we have bones that "could have" been from children, and bones from animals and possibly Giants. Now, we're told that when Bran and co. enter the cave, Hodor has to crouch to get through the passages. What chance then would a Giant have to get through these caves? The far more likely and logical explanation would be that over time the earth has moved the masses of bones from surface corpses down as the terrain has been rearranged. Bones=Jojenpaste does not follow.

... so you think these bones are just natural deposits of nature? ... and you think I have issues with believability?

The cave was STACKED with bones. They were on the floor, in alcoves, twisted through weirwood roots. And all this INSIDE the Children's hidey hole... I'll just leave it at that. If you walked into my house and found bones all over the place, you'd be a darn fool not to be nervous...

Archived