Jojen's future

Brownk48

Jojen Reed grew ever more sullen and solitary, to his sister’s distress. She would often sit with Bran beside their little fire, talking of everything and nothing, petting Summer where he slept between them, whilst her brother wandered the caverns by himself. Jojen had even taken to climbing up to the cave’s mouth when the day was bright2. He would stand there for hours, looking out over the forest, wrapped in furs yet shivering all the same.

“He wants to go home,” Meera told Bran. “He will not even try and fight his fate.1 He says the greendreams do not lie.”

1)

I don't see how this quote doesn't completely dispel the Jojen paste theory. The quote as written means that Jojen going home is directly tied to his fate. If his greendream showed him being eaten by a wolf, what would that have to do with him going home? For you to read this and think Jojen saw himself being turned into paste or eaten in the cave, why would there be a reference to his home at all. If his dream said he would die in the cave, then him wanting to go home would be him wanting to fight his fate, which it says he is not. Or else Meera just threw in a non sequitur about Jojen wanting to go home, which seems pretty unlikely.

I'm in total agreement with this, I think the quote invalidates the Jojen paste theory too. I may have been convinced by the point that maybe Meera was just expressing that it was a wish of Jojen's to be brought home and then another point but I think that is definitely not the case because Meera is expressing the two ideas in the same sentence. Remove the Meera told Bran put in for grammatical purposes and you get Meera saying "He wants to go home, he will not even try and fight his fate.". The idea that fighting his fate by Jojen not going home is linked in Meera's mind, not independent of each other. Jojen's obviously told her that her fate is linked to him going home.

I think its entirely possible some Jojen blood could be in the paste though. Whether voluntarily or involuntarily. I can see Bran being shielded from that information because Jojen's been trying to reassure him that he's doing the right thing by going into the weirwood.

2)

Also Jojen's behavior when he continually goes up to the mouth of the cave even though its cold specifically mentions he does it during during daylight hours. That makes me think that he knows he will never see another summer ever again and wants to see what daylight he has left in his life. To me this is a clue that he knows he'll die during the winter and upcoming long night. Perhaps on the way home or at his home.

edit: extra . removed

I don't see how this quote doesn't completely dispel the Jojen paste theory. The quote as written means that Jojen going home is directly tied to his fate. If his greendream showed him being eaten by a wolf, what would that have to do with him going home? For you to read this and think Jojen saw himself being turned into paste or eaten in the cave, why would there be a reference to his home at all. If his dream said he would die in the cave, then him wanting to go home would be him wanting to fight his fate, which it says he is not. Or else Meera just threw in a non sequitur about Jojen wanting to go home, which seems pretty unlikely.

To the Jojen paste theorists, please explain the reference to his home and this sentence which seems to be in direct conflict with your theory. Maybe George R.R. Martin suddenly got super spiritual and religious, and Meera was speaking cryptically about Jojen going home to heaven....................not a chance. This seems to be hard evidence that Jojen's home and his fate are directly linked.

Wow. There's some serious lack of reading comprehension going on here.

That quote means that he will not even try to fight his fate (death) so that he can go home. Why in the world is his fate and home connected just because they're in the same sentence?

I have a funny theory. As the First Men adopted the Old Gods as their religion, who taught them all about it? The Singers of course, right after a brutal war. I can definitely see them saying, oh ya, and you have to sacrifice people occasionally hehe

I doubt the Singers were sacrificing each other, they never had many people to begin with, lived really long lives (immortal?). That's not the type of culture that develops sacrifice of it's own members.

Archived