Elementary

Daenerys is my queen

Really? Wilson / Watson the friend who's never quite sure why he's a, friend, and acts as a buffer between House/Home and the real world; bit of a lady's man, and occasionally lives with him?

First 2 seasons of House were fantastic, and a blatant homage to Holmes; season 3 started losing quality, and S4 onwards were just flogging a dead horse

Ok very well, but Wilson is a lot different from Watson.

I finally saw the B Cumberbatch Sherlock. It is really good. 15 minutes in to it, was hooked.

I'm disappointed with Elementary.It feels like Murder She Wrote.

Sherlock is vastly superior in every way.

Ouch, I guess? I can't say I've seen much of Murder She Wrote, but it was apparently pretty good.

I agree Elementary is not as good as the BBC's Sherlock, which are basically 6 interconnected mini-films, but I do enjoy the tweaks the CBS show has taken on the character and the Watson/Homes dynamic.

Elementary got a nice side by side review with Sherlock in todays Chicago Tribune. The reviewer certainly seemed to appreciate the British version more, but the American show was praised for holding on to Doyle's sense of telling the tale, even as it modernized the character...

My main criticism of Elementary is that every week it's really obvious who is guilty of the crime. They introduce only a couple of parties related to each crime, they try a little misdirection (but it's transparent because they always try some misdirection) and then settle on the criminal. The timing and rhythm of this pattern is always the same. The same applies to most episodic crime procedurals although I do remember Law & Order at least offering some surprise verdicts.

It's rare that a British drama out performs an American version on every level but I really think Sherlock beats Elementary in every department.

Better acting,scripts,plots and better adaptation of modern tech such as smartphones.

Generally I would say original American drama is superior,these days,but not in this "case".

• 4 weeks later...

It's not a spoiler thread so I'll play it safe

Thank F. Vinnie Jones wasn't Moriarty! I don't think i could have continued if that had been the case. Pleased to see it creeping into the story and hopefully the rest of the season will have Sherlock investigating the case further along with Moriarty testing him further.

The episode was more of a departure from the episodic ones we've so far been treated to and suggests their is a lot more to expect from the show as it continues. I like the "crime of the week" approach but hopefully we'll get more of these core episodes as the show continues. I really like Miller's portrayal and he has some great scenes in this episode and I find his Sherlock far more emotionally likeable than Cumbernatch/Moffat's. That said I do like how emotionally detached the BBC sherlock is.

Luckily I'm quite happy to enjoy the two shows. It's going to be a long time before we get more of the BBC version and the US version is different enough to warrant its existence.

Out of the 6 BBC sherlock's I found 3 of them to be poor. It's only the other 4 episodes and the performances of Cumbernatch and Freeman that gives me such a good opinion of the show.

I like both shows for different reasons and it shows how rich a character Sherlock Holmes is when there are at least 3 versions of him currently knocking around in film and TV and each one focuses on slightly different aspects of the original while remaining entertaining. Unless I'm just a sucker for Sherlock holmes in general.

• 2 weeks later...

How can "Joan Watson" ruin the show for you? What is your criticism? That they chose the name Joan Watson? That Watson is a woman? That Lucy Liu isn't playing the part well enough? What?

That they made Watson a woman...It's a no-no to me to change the gender at anything that isn't original yours and is called fanfic.

Personally I was put off by the idea of Watson being played by a woman. And I'm really not a fan of Lucy Liu. But damn she owns that role. And she has totally won me over to the Female Watson foil to Sherlock.

They have a great dynamic.

I'm a huge fan of the BBC Sherlock. I've re watched it multiple times. It's great but not perfect. Some how Elementary fills places that BBC Sherlock is lacking.

At any rate I'm enjoying both for similar and differing reasons. The recent episode of Elementary was hugely compelling. I'm hoping this will be a moving away from the crime of the week thing. Not that it wasn't entertaining. But it was quickly falling into another crime show for me. I'm sort of over them and medical dramas right now. There are so many and they follow the same recipe week after week. Different criminal same thing.

It seems the introduction of the word Moriarty has changed things up.. I'm hoping.

Not that I didn't really appreciate the time to build the Sherlock - Watson "friendship" It just really works for me.

And I really thought it wouldn't. This show gets +'s for that. I love being pleasantly surprised by a show.

So her hotness should be more... Consistent?

I get it.. I hate it when you wake up in the morning and look at the person next to you and think. Damn last night I could have sworn you were hot. Stupid fluctuant hotness!

• 2 weeks later...

Elementary got a nice side by side review with Sherlock in todays Chicago Tribune. The reviewer certainly seemed to appreciate the British version more, but the American show was praised for holding on to Doyle's sense of telling the tale, even as it modernized the character...

By making Dr. Watson as a women?

Sherlock props are much more modernized, but I guess Sherlock himself is a bit of a throw back.

My main criticism of Elementary is that every week it's really obvious who is guilty of the crime. They introduce only a couple of parties related to each crime, they try a little misdirection (but it's transparent because they always try some misdirection) and then settle on the criminal. The timing and rhythm of this pattern is always the same. The same applies to most episodic crime procedurals although I do remember Law & Order at least offering some surprise verdicts.

I don't know if its every week that you know off that bat who the killer is. I would say that it is very hard to know Who did it, when compaired to other CBS shows.

Verdicts, maybe but L & O followed a script. 90% of them were almost scene for scene the same as the rest, hell the twist almost always came right about 40 minute mark.

It's rare that a British drama out performs an American version on every level but I really think Sherlock beats Elementary in every department.1

Generally I would say original American drama is superior,these days,but not in this "case".2

1. Total agree that Sherlock is great(*****), while Elementary is at best good(***)

2. Up to a point. Being Human would be another I would add to that list, and as a head to head same show. Until the most 4th season I would say that Being Human (BBC) was a much better show, then it lost its way. Then the SyFy new season began, and it seems to be getting lost too.

Archived