69 replies to this topic

#61 Jaxom 1974

Jaxom 1974

Boy Meets World

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,974 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:11 AM

Well, I'm still enjoying this show. It isn't perfect, but the general flew of the cases works for me. They've not left the subplot of sobriety, but they've managed to move beyond the sober companion angle giving Watson more heft.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Mycroft's game is, if anything.

I actually thought they were going to move the show to London there for at least a few episodes...

#62 Morienthar

Morienthar

The Blue Wizard

• Members
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

I watched a few episodes,They are making Sherlock Holmes into a damn procedural.
The Adeventures of Sherlock Holmes and Sherlock to an extent are at least sticking to what Sherlock Holmes really is.

#63 Warg Arry

Warg Arry

rainbow connection

• Members
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:24 AM

Well, I'm still enjoying this show. It isn't perfect, but the general flew of the cases works for me. They've not left the subplot of sobriety, but they've managed to move beyond the sober companion angle giving Watson more heft.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Mycroft's game is, if anything.

I actually thought they were going to move the show to London there for at least a few episodes...

Same here. 221B Baker now definitely exists in this world. And when Mycroft said it's his to take back whenever (despite blowing up Sherlock's things) he wants it back. Also Joan, while she has friends and family there. It doesn't seem like it would be something that might keep her from following Sherlock if he chose to return.

So I felt like it was definitely on the cards. But I really liked the explanation Sherlock gave Mycroft. It made total sense to me. 

I watched a few episodes,They are making Sherlock Holmes into a damn procedural.
The Adeventures of Sherlock Holmes and Sherlock to an extent are at least sticking to what Sherlock Holmes really is.

He is a detective. Even BBC Sherlock has it's case per episode style. It's just formatted differently. 

I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise. Let's face it. If you don't feel a show and you can't find any connection to it or value in it. Then really there is no point in pushing through.

For me.

I'm bordering on obsessed with BBC Sherlock. But for me Elementary gets a lot right too. It does fill some voids left in other versions. I love BBC Sherlock and Elementary for both similar and different reasons.

It is far from flawless. And I can see why people would be turned off by 'the case of the week'.  But it hasn't so far stagnated. The character growth has been strong and the story arc intriguing.

There's not really a character I dislike in Elementary. I find they all have value.

Joan is the one that took me by surprise though. She has been written and played so well. She has strength and intelligence. And her friendship with Sherlock is believable.

It's just some of the reasons I look forward to watching it each week. 

#64 kungtotte

kungtotte

Council Member

• Members
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

Elementary has struck a very good balance so far between the monster-of-the-week format of a procedural and advancing the major plots and having character development. 

Other procedurals often end up treading water for a lot of the season, but with Elementary it feels like you always get something out of each episode.

#65 Jaxom 1974

Jaxom 1974

Boy Meets World

• Members
  • 22,974 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:13 AM

Don't be surprised if there still is a London arc of at least three episodes. If not this season, maybe to open up next season. There will be a case or two solved in London.

#66 Warg Arry

Warg Arry

rainbow connection

• Members
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:38 PM

I agree. I think they might have to if the Mycroft plot goes any where. If I remember, he was trying to get Sherlock back to London using their dad and money as a threat.

I really hope there isn't a Mycroft, /Moriarty connection. I can't see why Mycroft would be in league with Moriarty. But ever since it has been suggested to me. I've been a little nervous.

Like would it be one of those things that could turn me off watching the show.

#67 Jaxom 1974

Jaxom 1974

Boy Meets World

• Members
  • 22,974 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

Most recent episode was good. You gotta figure Moriarty isn't going anywhere soon, but does she have anything to do with Mycroft? The key thing was she mentioned a "mentor"...is this the same person Mycroft is working with/for?

#68 Warg Arry

Warg Arry

rainbow connection

• Members
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

Hmm interesting connection. I have to say. The mention of a mentor to Moriarty is something of a terrifying notion.

#69 Seventh Pup

Seventh Pup

Mother in training

• Members
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

I have to say while I've been enjoying this season. I have not enjoyed Mycoft. He's just wrong, literally nothing like his cannon character.  I kind of just assume he wants to get Sherlock back to London because of something in the government. In the books he's an important government official, albeit a lazy one with no ambition. 

I have enjoyed in the little easter eggs for those familiar with the books though. In the episode where the woman kills herself in order to frame her sister's murderer, she does so in the exact way that a jealous wife in the books does in order to frame the governess that her husband is in love with. Things like that are always kind of thrilling when you catch them .

I'm interested to see where they take Moriarty. I enjoyed the creepiness of her Watson painting. 

#70 Jaxom 1974

Jaxom 1974

Boy Meets World

• Members
  • 22,974 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

The Watson painting alone tells me she's not done for this season...

Reply to this topic