138 replies to this topic

#1 BigFatCoward

BigFatCoward

Party for your right to Fight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:21 AM

i always used to be pretty hardcore about sickness and injury (played football with a broken ankle, went to work with malaria). however the last few days i find myself sat at home, wrapped in duvet watching crap tv.
there is no doubt that i am very sick, but i'm not sure i'm sick enough that i couldn't go to work. and the only thing i can think of is i'm pissed off with work, due to the piss take in pay and conditions (i can see someone from the tipping topic weighing in with a sly comment here) that has left me a lot less motivated. though to be honest i'm so bored i'm considering getting up and going in.
so
how sick do you have to be to stay home?
does this depend on how valued you feel in your current role?
would you rather sick colleagues stayed home with their hacking cough and runny nose?
supervisors, how do you feel when staff take sick days (i used to be an arse, in my opinion nobody was ever sick enough to not go to work)?

#2 Chaldanya

Chaldanya

It's So Fluffy!!

• Members
  • 6,878 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:24 AM

I have to be physically unable to mange the commute into work to not go. I've gone in with various maladies and been sent home more times than I care to remember. But I don't mind other people having a sick day.

Actually, thinking on it I have gone into work when I could barely walk after taking a fall when I was 28 weeks pregnant

N

#3 Seli

Seli

Council Member

• Members
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:42 AM

When you are incapable to do what you ought to do and pose an infection risk to you coworkers (of course that might have been before you got symptoms).

#4 Greywolf2375

Greywolf2375

HIGHLY INTELLIGENT LIBRARIAN

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:47 AM

When you can pass on what you have to the others you work with, then you are too sick. What each person can deal with will differ but if you are contagious I don't care if it is a once every 3 hours cough, stay the hell home so everyone else doesn't get sick.

Oh, and if you are coughing or sneezing every 30 seconds, stay home as well just because it's annoying to hear.

#5 Melonica Stormborn

Melonica Stormborn

Mother of Cereals, Breaker of Biscuits

• Members
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:53 AM

When the sickness is a major work distraction e.g. stomachache or headache, coughs and cold. But I agree, I go on medical leaves for the most trivial sickness when it's that time of the year when I don't want to work. I'm usually a workhorse.

#6 Eloisa

Eloisa

One Winged Weaver

• Members
  • 5,484 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:53 AM

When I can't concentrate on what I'm doing or can't see my computer screen straight, generally. Or when I have a fever. I do stupid stuff when I'm extremely feverish, including going to work, but the stupid stuff I would thereafter do at work is not recommended.

IIRC contagion for most colds and the flu hits before you show any symptoms, so I don't feel too worried about passing things on, as I probably already have by the time I notice what's wrong.

#7 Isis

Isis

too pretty for that

• Members
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:54 AM

If you're too sick to go to the pub then you are probably too sick to go to work. That is my professional opinion.

#8 Grey Stark

Grey Stark

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:59 AM

I'm working from home this week so I can look after my wife and kids who caught a bug that I caught off a woman at work.
We all told her to go home, but she had to be a martyr and come in. Now we've lost 15 man days (and we're only an 8 man team) so far, plus 2 of us have passed it on to our families (and while I was able to shrug it off in about 24 hours, my eldest son is very bad with it).

So, yeah. If you're infectious, stay the hell away.

#9 Shryke

Shryke

The Wood of the Morning

• Members
  • 38,403 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:00 AM

If you are gonna infect anyone else, stay the fuck home.

Work ethic == Typhoid Mary

In general, if you are feeling bad, why the hell would you go to work? You have sick days for a reason.

Edited by Shryke, 12 December 2012 - 06:01 AM.

#10 Elder Sister

Elder Sister

I don't like your face. Makes me want to do things to it.

• Members
  • 4,939 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:10 AM

If I'm running a fever I stay home. Otherwise, I'm at work.

I went back to work three weeks after two major surgeries. Both times, it was too soon.

There's a happy medium between me and the slacker. I have a hard time finding it, honestly. I will tell my folks not to come in but then will drag myself to work.

#11 MinDonner

MinDonner

Not in the mood

• Members
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:34 AM

I can do my job just as well from home, so there's a nice buffer zone between "too sick to get up at 6am and haul my arse into London" and "too sick to roll down the stairs and sit at my laptop for a few hours", which means I rarely need to take an actual sick day. I fucking hate it when I'm in the office and other co-workers are coughing and sneezing though (not to mention all the disease-carrying fuckwits on the train). The year I was working from home full-time, I don't think I got sick even once.

#12 Gillio

Gillio

drawn that way

• Members
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:39 AM

When I worked for Centrelink (Aussie Social Security) I would drag myself in however bad I felt because we wee always so short staffed. It was always a bad idea; later on when the mistakes come to light that occurred when you were feverish, no-one remembers you were feverish!!

I've called in sick with laryngitis and been asked to come in and just do no-customer contact work, then been taken off that and put into customer contact work, despite having little or no voice.

If you are not capable of performing your job, stay home, it might be doing the boss a favour to be a martyr, but you don't do yourself any favours!!

#13 BigFatCoward

BigFatCoward

Party for your right to Fight

• Members
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:56 AM

If you're too sick to go to the pub then you are probably too sick to go to work. That is my professional opinion.

i think i am too sick for tonight, and its really hard to drink when you can't stop coughing.

#14 Usotsuki

Usotsuki

Counter-Revolutionary Factional Element

• Members
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:01 AM

I admire, applaud and am humbled by the work ethic of those stalwart souls whose stoic refusal to surrender to suffering means that even when riddled with vile diseases they will sweat and cough and drip through their allotted tasks .

Of course I do kill them and burn the corpses as a prophylactic measure, but I do it in a very respectful manner.

#15 Balefont

Balefont

the Wicked

• Members
  • 8,446 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

I've found my best remedy for speedy recovery is rest early, rest often. Like Min, I have a work from home option so if I'm not too bad or there is something really pressing, I can do it from home between naps.

Regarding the lack of motivation: We all experience it at some time or another for various reasons.

Take your mental health days, as needed, to recharge your batteries so you can get back to work with a clear head and renewed vigor. If you find the recharge doesn't really work or doesn't last long enough, maybe it's time to look into making a change.

#16 Lyanna Stark

Lyanna Stark

Conquer or Suffer

• Members
  • 23,178 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

When I am infectous with something, like a really bad cold. I think it's only corteous to try and not infect everyone else and their kids, aunt and dog with my germs. It's also why I am furious with people coming into work with all sorts of shite diseases. Not only will I get it, but often my kid will get it too, which means I have to take more time off work to look after my child, or someone else will have to. Meaning cos someone trying to be "brave" just dragged themselves in with some variety of ebola to show off, it means I lose money, time, have to reschedule meetings and all sorts of unpleasantness. Ugh.

I have gone into work myself while feeling horribly crappy, but as I get older I really try not to. It won't help me, it won't help my co-workers. I do as much as I can from home when possible. That will have to be enough.

#17 Inigima

Inigima

I want your skulls

• Members
  • 21,155 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:45 AM

Pretty much with everyone else. If I have a mild cold, I'm at work. More than that and I'm home. I really do not appreciate it when some shithead comes in with the flu and risks infecting the rest of us. I told someone off for it just a day or two ago.

Employers can be pricks about it; my current one isn't, fortunately, As others have said above, you often lose far more work-hours from your staff by being a hardass about it, as the rest of them fall ill.

#18 Raja

Raja

Dull

• Members
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

Every year, at around this time I get a cold which runs for about 2 weeks. It happened again about 3 weeks ago, and given that it really doesn't affect me too much I decided to go to Uni. This, as it turned out was not a good idea at all. Most of my close friends got sick and now about 5 other people have the flu. The thing is, it's only just a cough for me, which is why I din't think I would be passing it on. I should have probably just stayed at home.

#19 pig

pig

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:03 AM

I usually go in no matter what. Save my sick leave for days when I'm fine but don't care to work.

#20 Inigima

Inigima

I want your skulls

• Members
  • 21,155 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:09 AM

Everyone else hates you, including me.

Reply to this topic