Notable Releases
From the Store
Game of Thrones House Stark Shot Glass
House Stark Shot Glass
HBO US
Featured Sites
License Holders

Photo

Which major characters will GRRM kill off in TWoW?

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#221 malek

malek

Council Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

There are just two characters that I hope will survive. Bronn and Hyle Hunt.

One is probably already hanged, while another is due to drop his principles just once, and do something "stupid" that will get him killed.

#222 Luckycooky

Luckycooky

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

I think allot characters will die and some big one's i think unless we get a 8 book. this book where the end game starts and a book whit allot of action, so people that i think that are going to die

At starts of the book are
Roose and Ramsay Bolton
Some people that are important to dany and some of the advisors
i do think Sir Barristanwill make back to westeros butt wil die there
Victarion
Theon

At the middle of the book
I think some new big event will happen that have will make alot of people bit the dust.
King tomme
Cersei
and some Tyrell members
Jon con

At the end of the book some other big characters will die

Stannis
Lady stone heart
and Brianne if have feeling Jamie will survive the series
and i hope littele finger but i think that will happen in the beginning of dreams of spring

the people that make to dream of spring
are Jon Snow in a human forum
Danny
fake Agon
Arya
and Sansa
and Bram
ps English is me third language so i hope that you can forgive me mistakes

#223 Kushluk of Skagos

Kushluk of Skagos

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

Why does everyone think Stannis is going to die? What, he has a battle to fight? Hasn't he fought about a thousand of those in his life? He's a brave man, and a good commander: Go Stannis!

I'd like nothing more than for Stannis to wipe the Bastard of Bolton out in single combat.

Frankly, reading from a dispassionate textual POV, Tyrion was in way hotter waters than Stannis was in, for quite some time.

On Topic, likely deaths:
Hizdar zo Loraq
Manderly
"Aegon"
Jon Con
Theon Greyjoy
Asha Greyjoy
Most anything with a Tully surname
Sweetrobin
Ramsay Bolton
Edit: Victarion, that cursed horn of his will most likely trigger a lot of unforseen consequences, and Moqorro is way to smart for him.

If a massive Other invasion occurs, well half of everyone is likely to die. But then, the Others are so slow in the series, well, I'll be surprised whenever it happens..

Edited by Kushluk of Skagos, 12 January 2013 - 09:40 PM.

#224 hrafna

hrafna

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

i see victarion helping dany get back to westeros and as such, surviving this book but not much longer there after. victarion and moqorro need to get the horn to dany so she can blow it and gain total control over the dragons, remember a dragon can't be killed by fire.

#225 Jalapenohitchhiker

Jalapenohitchhiker

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Why does everyone think Stannis is going to die? What, he has a battle to fight? Hasn't he fought about a thousand of those in his life? He's a brave man, and a good commander: Go Stannis!

I'd like nothing more than for Stannis to wipe the Bastard of Bolton out in single combat.

No one doubts Stannis' ability as a commander and fighter. But we have had multiple hints in the books of Stannis looking "worn" or "fatigued". Not only that, but GRRM seems to have a fetish for killing off kings.

#226 hrafna

hrafna

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

No one doubts Stannis' ability as a commander and fighter. But we have had multiple hints in the books of Stannis looking "worn" or "fatigued". Not only that, but GRRM seems to have a fetish for killing off kings.

also doesn't mel see stannis in her flames at one point? a crowned stannis surrounded by flames and the flesh of his face melting off?

#227 Kushluk of Skagos

Kushluk of Skagos

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

.... multiple hints in the books of Stannis looking "worn" or "fatigued". Not only that, but GRRM seems to have a fetish for killing off kings...

GRRM does love to kill kings, I agree. From a writing perspective though, what does killing Stannis accomplish? He sent a small sothoron host to the north, and meddled with NW politics before dying to the Boltons? Not much of a bank for my kingly dollar, if you ask me. Maybe he defeats the Boltons, serves as a platform to recognize Snow's legitimization, the finding of Sansa, or some other big act, THEN dies - otherwise he has been sort of pointless.

Also I would find him losing the battle with the Boltons/Bolton Toadies rather inconsistent with his characterization. His history is one of relative badassery, defeating the Ironborn, holding Dragonstone, etc. He knows how to suffer, and how to win. I'd like to see him actually pull off some victories in front of an audience rather than just hear about his old victories. It would be consistent with his character as a very good if not excellent commander. (I cannot imagine invading the Iron Islands is easy). Also, it seems unlikely that the untrained Bastard of Bolton would be an excellent commander. Hunting down defenseless women and raping them is one thing, facing a competent general whose back is up against the wall - who knows full well that defeat equals total annihilation - is quite another. No doubt word of Bolton's cruelty is well-known, and the common men will fight hard to not end up on a flaying table somewhere.

Anyway, that is my feeling. Stannis still has some ends to serve.
As far as Mel dying, I think she is in some danger from the "idiot senators of Rome" on the wall; other than that, no immediate danger. She says several times that watching out for her own safety is rule #1 for her. Also, the fact that she misfires all the time, from a writing perspective, is a super interesting character trait and bound to make the narrative MORE rather than LESS interesting. If her future sight were perfect all the time (Moqorro) she'd be dead by now.

#228 Jalapenohitchhiker

Jalapenohitchhiker

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

GRRM does love to kill kings, I agree. From a writing perspective though, what does killing Stannis accomplish? He sent a small sothoron host to the north, and meddled with NW politics before dying to the Boltons? Not much of a bank for my kingly dollar, if you ask me. Maybe he defeats the Boltons, serves as a platform to recognize Snow's legitimization, the finding of Sansa, or some other big act, THEN dies - otherwise he has been sort of pointless.

Also I would find him losing the battle with the Boltons/Bolton Toadies rather inconsistent with his characterization. His history is one of relative badassery, defeating the Ironborn, holding Dragonstone, etc. He knows how to suffer, and how to win. I'd like to see him actually pull off some victories in front of an audience rather than just hear about his old victories. It would be consistent with his character as a very good if not excellent commander. (I cannot imagine invading the Iron Islands is easy). Also, it seems unlikely that the untrained Bastard of Bolton would be an excellent commander. Hunting down defenseless women and raping them is one thing, facing a competent general whose back is up against the wall - who knows full well that defeat equals total annihilation - is quite another. No doubt word of Bolton's cruelty is well-known, and the common men will fight hard to not end up on a flaying table somewhere.

Anyway, that is my feeling. Stannis still has some ends to serve.
As far as Mel dying, I think she is in some danger from the "idiot senators of Rome" on the wall; other than that, no immediate danger. She says several times that watching out for her own safety is rule #1 for her. Also, the fact that she misfires all the time, from a writing perspective, is a super interesting character trait and bound to make the narrative MORE rather than LESS interesting. If her future sight were perfect all the time (Moqorro) she'd be dead by now.

Oh I agree that he will defeat the Boltons. Always have been a fan of that theory. But I still think he dies for another reason, whatever it may be. He could possibly even die during the battle of Winterfell after both Boltons are killed. Who knows? In any case, I think the main purpose of Stannis' story was to give us a firm grasp of Melisandre and R'hllor. Also, it gives us good background knowledge of Azor Ahai. We were meant to think that Stannis was Azor Ahai, but if the theory about Jon is true, which I completely agree with, then Stannis is pretty much expendable now, especially for Melisandre.

#229 jeg521

jeg521

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:04 AM

• ramsay and roose bolton
  • theon greyjoy
  • littlefinger and sansa.. sansa will kill petyr and dies in the process (well, i really hope sansa dies, coz i find her really useless)
  • Ilyrrio, probably the cheesemonger will die from some disease, diabetes most likely.. haha
  • the freys. A lot of freys. they have to fall somewhere so this book will most likely be it.
  • lady stoneheart
  • victarion
  • Melisandre
  • Queen Selyse
  • stannis will die somwhere near the end. hopefully in the hands of a wight. a spectacle ending to the fake azor ahai.
A lot will probably die before winds of winter is over, because i think the wall if eventually fall, and with the Others crossing over, Grrm needs to put a stop to the civil war. that can only be done by killing a lot of major characters. By the end of book 6, probably most of the north is overrun by Others.

Edited by jeg521, 13 January 2013 - 05:12 AM.

#230 Ingelheim

Ingelheim

I've never paid my debts.

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

Ramsay Bolton and his father, Roose
Stannis Baratheon
Lady Stoneheart
Queen Selyse
A lot of Freys
Some Greyjoy. I don't know which of them. Probably Theon and Victarion. I have the feelings that Asha will survive
Littlefinger or Varys.
Jon Con
Shireen (I think Val is right about greyscale)
Brienne or Jaime

Edited by Ingelheim, 13 January 2013 - 08:49 AM.

#231 sabrecmc

sabrecmc

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Hi, long-time lurker, first time poster! I found this forum after finally reading the books and wondering if perhaps anyone on the internet was aware that Jon was Rhaeger and Lyanna's son...ahem. So, yeah, my insights are probably far behind, lol.

Anyway, while I am looking forward to some deaths (buh-bye Freys! Won't miss you Ramsay!), I'm really afraid that before all this is over, Arya is going to be toast. There was something in AGoT (I think Jon was telling Sam about a dream or something) where Jon talks about looking for Ned, Robb, Benjen and Arya in the Winterfell Crypts...well, what do 3 of those people have in common that would make looking for them in the crypts make sense? I kept trying to convince myself that it was because Jon cared for these people that his dream featured them, but why BenJen and not Bran? So, for a long time, I've been anticipating Arya's death, which I would really hate to see but, for story reasons, can totally imagine happening. If anyone is Jon's version of "Nissa-Nissa," I suppose it would be Arya. I can see a situation where Arya becomes more embroiled in the FM and eventually does something that drives her back to being fully Arya Stark of Winterfell, but also puts her on a path of choosing to sacrifice herself for Jon and/or the Realm. I think this could be the catalyst that drives Jon to accept his destiny as, well, whatever. It just seems there is going to be a turning point for Jon and Ned wasn't it, Robb wasn't it, but Arya? Well, he's already shown he's willing to say "f this sh*t" when it comes to Arya, so I can well imagine that GRRM, taking a cue for the Joss Whedon Writer's Camp, gives us what we need and not what we want. There was also another line in AGOT that Jon says something to Arya about her frozen body having a needle stuck in it. They were talking about sewing and kind of joking, but...yeah. So, I don't think things bode well for Arya, much to my dismay.

Because I am apparently full of woe, I also think that Selyse lets Mel burn Shireen for her "king's blood" when they get really desperate, maybe because of the Others, I don't know, and Patchface then kills Mel. But only after smashing her ruby so everyone sees what she looks like. I think Stannis is going to die as well, just becuase Mel has been draining him making shadow-babies and ew, Stannis, really??? You don't get to sit on the Iron Throne by screwing around with a succubus. It is known.

#232 Nina

Nina

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

also doesn't mel see stannis in her flames at one point? a crowned stannis surrounded by flames and the flesh of his face melting off?

I do not remember this part. Can you tell me which chapter?
My first language is not English, because this I'm asking about chapter, and not the page, certainly Portuguese version does not match with the pages of English version. Thank you.

#233 jeg521

jeg521

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:04 AM

Hi, long-time lurker, first time poster! I found this forum after finally reading the books and wondering if perhaps anyone on the internet was aware that Jon was Rhaeger and Lyanna's son...ahem. So, yeah, my insights are probably far behind, lol.

Anyway, while I am looking forward to some deaths (buh-bye Freys! Won't miss you Ramsay!), I'm really afraid that before all this is over, Arya is going to be toast. There was something in AGoT (I think Jon was telling Sam about a dream or something) where Jon talks about looking for Ned, Robb, Benjen and Arya in the Winterfell Crypts...well, what do 3 of those people have in common that would make looking for them in the crypts make sense? I kept trying to convince myself that it was because Jon cared for these people that his dream featured them, but why BenJen and not Bran? So, for a long time, I've been anticipating Arya's death, which I would really hate to see but, for story reasons, can totally imagine happening. If anyone is Jon's version of "Nissa-Nissa," I suppose it would be Arya. I can see a situation where Arya becomes more embroiled in the FM and eventually does something that drives her back to being fully Arya Stark of Winterfell, but also puts her on a path of choosing to sacrifice herself for Jon and/or the Realm. I think this could be the catalyst that drives Jon to accept his destiny as, well, whatever. It just seems there is going to be a turning point for Jon and Ned wasn't it, Robb wasn't it, but Arya? Well, he's already shown he's willing to say "f this sh*t" when it comes to Arya, so I can well imagine that GRRM, taking a cue for the Joss Whedon Writer's Camp, gives us what we need and not what we want. There was also another line in AGOT that Jon says something to Arya about her frozen body having a needle stuck in it. They were talking about sewing and kind of joking, but...yeah. So, I don't think things bode well for Arya, much to my dismay.

Because I am apparently full of woe, I also think that Selyse lets Mel burn Shireen for her "king's blood" when they get really desperate, maybe because of the Others, I don't know, and Patchface then kills Mel. But only after smashing her ruby so everyone sees what she looks like. I think Stannis is going to die as well, just becuase Mel has been draining him making shadow-babies and ew, Stannis, really??? You don't get to sit on the Iron Throne by screwing around with a succubus. It is known.

I like your point... But it wouldnt make any sense for Arya to survive all this time, than train as a faceless only to die by jon's hands. If there is death in connection to arya, that would be her taking vengeance when she comes back. In relation to that dream you said, maybe its because Arya somehow abandoned the northern gods for awhile.

#234 Silverwind

Silverwind

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

I love stannis but I think he's going to die by the end of the next book.
Tommen and Myrcella are defo dying if not in the next book then the last and that makes me a bit sad /sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' /> really liked em.
Jon is probably going to warg into ghost for a while, dont think he'll be killed off anytime soon.
Oh and Jojen is probably going to die.

#235 LadyOlennaTyrell

LadyOlennaTyrell

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Instead of the deaths of major characters, I think we'll loose a lot of minor characters we like in tWoW :

If the wall eventually breaks down, and I think it will in the next book, it'll be a bloodbath inside the ranks of the NW : so the likely candidates are sadly Grenn, Pypar, Satin, Dolorous Edd... Dywen may already be dead beyond the Wall, Cotter Pyke is likely en route to his own. I see Bowen Marsh fleeing in spite of all we know of him. Maybe an epic death for ser Denys Mallister... A bunch of wildlings can be added : I'm quite sure we'll loose Tormund (sadly... Ar!), maybe Val. Obviously everyone at the Wall has good chances to die. The good side of this : we'll get rid of Selyse and Axell. Melisandre may not survive as well, that'll be a twist ! Regarding Shireen, I hope greyscale could be some protection against the Others and she might survive.

I think we'll see the last of Thoros of Myr in the next book, the man seemed ready to die last time we read about him, ready to sacrifice himself.

One of the two Umber brothers, maybe both. Manderly can be killed by Stannis' men in an utter quiproquo.

SweetRobin... I don't think Sansa is mature enough to save him, yet.

ser Edmure Tully (it's planned)

I fear a lot of deaths in KL too, Varys planted the seeds for it at the end of aDwD. I guess we'll have a fight between Tyrells and Lannisters a la St. Bartholomew Massacre (at the end of the XVIth century in Paris) resulting in Tommen's death. Margaery may not survive as well.

Lord Garlan Tyrell fighting against the Ironborns.

As for the battle of Meereen, I really don't know. Victarion maybe, but it's more a wish than an educated guess. Tyrion would be a twist in a very GRRM way, so I bet on Tyrion (what's left for him anyway ?).

I fear for Podrick Payne as well...

Prince Doran Martell, story dictated -> Arianne has to be the ruling princess to take some important decisions.

Lord Walder Frey -> not a wish, but narratively speaking, the story of his possible succession has been built up for so long that it have to be developed in length (two books, or a book and a half), assuming we'd have a POV in the Twins. And my guess is that he end of the Freys will be the Freys themselves. I'd give anything for a Walder Frey as prologue.

Regarding the people considered as condemned : Cersei, Jojen, JonCon, maybe GRRM will make them linger until the next book.

I'm not quite sure about the Boltons : Ramsay can linger a little longer, hiding somewhere after the Fall of House Bolton or of the Wall, and enact his vengeance in the last book. Re Roose, he still has aces in his sleeves, I bet (what if leeching works like some kind of protection against the Others ?).

If we loose a major character, it'd be Stannis, I agree (and/or Melisandre).

#236 malek

malek

Council Member

• Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

I actually think how one man Arya is bound to kill is Jaquen H'Ghar, either as final test in her training, or (more likely) to save someone who is dear to hear.

#237 Tam Lin

Tam Lin

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

I'm not going to speculate about which characters will die in TWOW, but I think I might be killed off if it takes another ~12 chapters for anything interesting to happen in Daenerys' storyline.

#238 albertotheconqueror

albertotheconqueror

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

walder frey ,i really want him to die

#239 Nina

Nina

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

My biggest wish is to see the end of the Freys will be Freys themselves and Lord Walder Frey watching everything and he be the last Frey to die.

#240 Nick Baratheon

Nick Baratheon

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

From the POV fellas, I´d say Jon Conni, Barristelmy, Dany ( pleasepleaseplease ), Areo Hotah maybe , possibly Jaime or Brienne, perhaps Tyrion
probably Aeron.

I would be cross if one of the following (only POV ) bites the dust: Davos, Arya ( would mean all that boring Bravos stuff was for nothing), Victarion ( If he dies I´ll go batshit ) , Sam ( too badass to die), Cersei