Why do people call Edmure Tully stupid?

Jamie Lannistah

Because they're haters. A lot of them blame him for Robb's death, but the art of war makes it clear it falls on the commander to make sure his orders are precise and clear. Edmure seems like a good guy to me, he truly cares about his smallfolk and his lords, and has absolutely no ambitions as far as I can tell, at the very least no dangerous ambitious that would drag his people into a prolonged war. He was just sorta dragged into the WOTFKs

Because they're haters. A lot of them blame him for Robb's death, but the art of war makes it clear it falls on the commander to make sure his orders are precise and clear. Edmure seems like a good guy to me, he truly cares about his smallfolk and his lords, and has absolutely no ambitions as far as I can tell, at the very least no dangerous ambitious that would drag his people into a prolonged war. He was just sorta dragged into the WOTFKs

Wait. How is he blamed for Robb's death? I never heard that before.

I imagine they'd blame Edmure because the RW was after all....Edmure's wedding. But people think he's stupid or weak or whatever because he didn't act like the lord of a Great House (i.e. helping his small folk).

Also I've heard people say that because he had stopped Tywin from crossing into the Westerlands and being sandwiched between the two forces, giving Stannis time to take King's Landing, he's responsible for the dire situation Robb Stark was forced into. Personally I find this complete bullshit, Edmure did as he was asked, hold Riverrun. The best defense is a strong offense, Robb and the Blackfish should have just been clearer.

Edmure failed in a lot of situations as a military commander. Where should I begin ? There was only one way the Lannisters could attack and he lost the region, he had the overall commando of the Riverlands and the Riverlands got steamrolled, he let himself trap in Riverrun, he proclaimed Robb as King, he disregarded the orders of Robb and therefore allowed the Lannisters to escape a trap, thus he also safed King's landing from Stannis. He ordered the guard of 300 man at the Twins to retreat allowing the RW. He let himself taken prisoner 2 times.

That's pretty much Edmure.

He failed to follow orders properly, thinking he knew better than people higher up in the chain of command, despite the fact that it had been proven many times that he had no business waging war.

Edmure is one of the primary reasons the Lannisters were allowed to survive.

Of course, many readers don't understand what the term 'hold' meant when Robb gave it to Edmure, so they try and defend his decision to fight Tywin, even though Edmure acknowledges that he made a grave mistake.

Even if he was right in defending those locations, he pulled troops from all the wrong places anyway.

Um, he was ordered to hold Riverrun but didn't he disregard that order and go out after the Lannisters in search of glory? I understood that he was told to stay and he didn't, to put it bluntly. But I do agree that Robb and the Blackfish could have given him a bone or two. I guess they assumed Edmure was thinking like them strategic-wise... that's why to assume makes an "ass" of "u" and "me" as Stephen King put it...

Why? Because he fought off Tywin Lannister's army? He won a battle against the Lannisters and had no idea of Robb's plans. So he should have just let Tywin pass?

Lol I was joking. Robb and Brynden shouldn't of left him completely in the dark on their plan.

I don't think he's stupid. I feel he's extremely incompetent.

The scene where he kept missing Lord Hoster's boat with the fire arrow was a microcosm of his character.

He enjoys wenching more than being a Lord, including the time where Jaime escaped.

Edmure failed in a lot of situations as a military commander. Where should I begin ? There was only one way the Lannisters could attack and he lost the region, he had the overall commando of the Riverlands and the Riverlands got steamrolled, he let himself trap in Riverrun, he proclaimed Robb as King, he disregarded the orders of Robb and therefore allowed the Lannisters to escape a trap, thus he also safed King's landing from Stannis. He ordered the guard of 300 man at the Twins to retreat allowing the RW. He let himself taken prisoner 2 times.

That's pretty much Edmure.

Did he have reason to expect the attack? It started with quick raids, before he could call banners.

Archived