January Reads -new year, new books

mashiara

I'm in the middle of Caliban's War. After that I'm going to read What Remains for a book club that I belong to. Then, I don't know. I'm going to troll this list and the "best of 2012" lists to see what I should pick up next. Maybe Gone Girl. I've put it off because of the hype, but I did the same thing for The Orphan Master's Son, and that was so good I might take a chance on it.

I've finished The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey, and it was fantastic. The ending was heavily foreshadowed, but still very

heartbreaking

Wonderful imagery and feel for the environment in which the story takes place. Definitely recommended (especially if you enjoyed Graham Joyce's Some Kind of Fairy Tale).

This has been on my to-read list for a while. I may have to bump it up now. So many books, so little time! :laugh:

I'm still reading Daniel Abraham's The King's Blood. Been so busy lately I've barely had time to read :( I bought a lovely edition of The Hobbit today, but that may have to wait a while.

I Am A Cat by Natsume Soseki

I'm not going to lie; I checked this out solely because of the title. This is what goodreads says about it, " Written over the course of 1904-6, Soseki's comic masterpiece, I Am a Cat, satirizes the follies of upper-middle-class Japanese society during the Meiji era. With acerbic wit and sardonic perspective, it follows the whimsical adventures of a world-weary stray kitten who comments on the follies and foibles of the people around him.The New Yorker called it "a nonchalant string of anecdotes and wisecracks, told by a fellow who doesn't have a name, and has never caught a mouse, and isn't much good for anything except watching human beings in action..."

This book and I are kindred spirits. I can already tell.

i finished the 2nd book in the Coldfire trilogy, When True Night Falls, this past weekend, then burned through A Red Country over New Year's. Next up is the final installment of the trilogy, Crown of Shadows. After that is either The Rise of Ransom City or Sharon Kay Penman's Time and Chance.

I can't believe it took me this long to discover The Curse of Chalion. I adored it. Loved the characters, worldbuilding and plot. Wonderful book. My only nitpick is that there alot of journeys and not having a map vexed me. I make maps for a living and not knowing where places are make me irritated. :tantrum:

I'm about to dive into the next semistandalone book of the series, Paladin of Souls.

I can't believe it took me this long to discover The Curse of Chalion. I adored it. Loved the characters, worldbuilding and plot. Wonderful book. My only nitpick is that there alot of journeys and not having a map vexed me. I make maps for a living and not knowing where places are make me irritated. :tantrum:

I'm about to dive into the next semistandalone book of the series, Paladin of Souls.

:lol: I remember having that same problem when I read that book several years ago. I think Paladin of Souls was my favorite of the three, but they were all very good.

Finally actually started in on The Hippopotamus by Stephen Fry. Probably the first late 20th century fiction I've read in French of my own free will since high school. It's extremely colloquial (they don't teach you that kind of language at school!), so there's quite a number of words that I have to guess from the context. I found this at a used book fair and as I love Stephen Fry, I just couldn't leave it there, even if it's French. ;)

I quite like it, the grumpy, venal old bugger 1st person narrator is very entertaining.

My first book of 2013 was Leigh Bardugo's Shadow and Bone. So many recs for this from people I know that I had to try it. It was very easy to read (it follows a pretty straight path in terms of story structure) and I'm reasonably interested to see what happens next - although I think it works well enough as a standalone. I don't need all that much resolution I guess. And I spotted a namecheck for our own Ser Mel T in the acknowledgements as well. Cute. :wub:

I'm 40% through Palimpsest on my new kindle. <3 It reminds me of all those other stories I have loved where the city itself is a character (Viriconium, Paradys and the others my virus-addled brain is blanking on right now). Speaking of Paradys, I find Palimpsest reminds me of Tanith Lee quite a lot. That's a good thing.

And check it out! I'm almost 20% through Kavalier & Clay. Determined to finish that this month and STOP juggling so many books at once. It's so inefficient.

Im finally going to catch up on WoT, but I have only made it through The Great Hunt. So i am pretty much locked in for the next month or so.

I'm doing the same thing, but it will probably keep me busy for the next 6 months.

And check it out! I'm almost 20% through Kavalier & Clay. Determined to finish that this month and STOP juggling so many books at once. It's so inefficient.

The last time I saw it on sale for Kindle the reviews panned it for poor formatting. Has it been fixed?

I had never heard of this book until this post, but after a little Internet research on in, I found it on sale at both barnesandnoble.com and amazon.com for only $0.99 today. Score!

Neal Stephenson - Snow Crash

I've also read Cryptonomicon. He's such a masculinist author, it's not really my style. But I like his settings.

I've been reading some of the Slave Narratives collected by the WPA in the late 30s. I'm finding it fascinating and heartbreaking. They are in the form of short interviews and it's easy to put down and get right back into since it's not a narrative. I found them on Gutenberg.org. I also love looking at the old cookbooks there from the early 20th century, guess I'm a geek that way.

I'm doing the same thing, but it will probably keep me busy for the next 6 months.

Yeah, I get a ton of reading time at work so I should finish them relatively quickly. Unless I get burned out/side tracked. Hopefully not. I should be starting The Shadow Rising tonight.

I actually really liked The Dragon Reborn. Still have some of the same nit picks as before, but the book was really enjoyable. Think I just might be hooked on the whole WoT thing finally.

Archived