Joe Abercrombie's 'The Blade Itself' - book club

Crown

Hey everyone,

Coming over from the depths of the forum games to share an initiative to start reading Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy, and perhaps his other books when we finish the trilogy, with a few other forum members who haven't read it yet. We'll be using this thread to discuss as we make our way through the books.

Current unspoiled participants:

• Crown
  • Alex Baratheon
  • Julifay Greyiron
  • Fragile Bird
  • DaniSnowborn
  • King Euron Greyjoy
  • Mya Stone
  • Ser Alek Scummy

Current spoiled participants:

• Mister OJ (read The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged, Best Served Cold)
  • Ferrum Aeternum (read The Blade Itself)
  • The Lord's Kiss (read The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged, Last Argument of Kings, Best Served Cold, The Heroes and Red Country)
  • Petyr Baelish the First (read The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged, Last Argument of Kings, Best Served Cold, The Heroes and Red Country)
  • Harding Grim (read The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged, Last Argument of Kings, Best Served Cold, The Heroes and Red Country)
  • DaveSumm (read The Blade Itself)

Future participants:

• Eyron I (read The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged and Last Argument of Kings, will join if we read Best Served Cold, The Heroes and Red Country)

Just tell us if you want to participate, and I'll make sure I'll add you to the list.

Reading schedule:

Explanation: the dates correspond with the chapters you read that day, the day after you'll be allowed to discuss them without spoilertags. Example: you read The End and The Survivors on Monday, and you can discuss them on Tuesday. If you want to discuss events from the next chapter(s) you need to spoilertag them and tell from which chapter it is.

Monday, January 7th

The End

The Survivors

Tuesday, January 8th

Questions

No Choice at All

Wednesday, January 9th

Playing With Knives

Teeth and Fingers

Thursday, January 10th

The Wide and Barren North

Fencing Practice

Friday, January 11th

The Morning Ritual

First of the Magi

Saturday, January 12th

The Good Man

On The List

Sunday, January 13th

An Offer and a Gift

The King of the Northmen

Monday, January 14th

A Road Between Two Dentist

Flatheads

Tuesday, January 15th

The Course of True Love

How Dogs are Trained

Wednesday, January 16th

Tea and Vengeance

What Freedom Looks Like

Thursday, January 17th

The King's Justice

Means of Escape

Friday, January 18th

Three Signs

The Theatrical Outfitter's

Saturday, January 19th

Barbarians at the Gate

Next

Sunday, January 20th

Better than Death

Sore Thumb

Monday, January 21th

Questions

Nobility

Tuesday, January 22th

Dark Work

Words and Dust

Wednesday, January 23th

The Remarkable Talents of Brother Longfoot

Her Kind Fight Everything

Thursday, January 24th

She Loves Me . . . Not

The Seed

Friday, January 25th

Never Bet Against a Magus

Ideal Audience

Saturday, January 26th

The House of the Maker

Nobody's Dog

Sunday, January 27th

Each Man Worships Himself

Old Friends

Monday, January 28th

Back to the Mud

Misery

Tuesday, January 29th

The Tools we Have

I'm against setting up a reading schedule, but I think everyone should do their best to keep up. If anyone is lagging behind too much, spoilers will become an even larger issue.

On that subject, I think we should use spoiler tags, pointing out which chapter it is above the tag.

I'm against setting up a reading schedule, but I think everyone should do their best to keep up. If anyone is lagging behind too much, spoilers will become an even larger issue.

On that subject, I think we should use spoiler tags, pointing out which chapter it is above the tag.

:agree:

I agree, that could work. Maybe we can do a reading schedule in weeks, let's say:

Week 1 - page 1 to 100, and then after the week you don't need to use spoiler tags for the events you read in that week?

Shall we start with Book 1 - why not edit your thread title to say Book 1?

Done.

EDIT: Nevermind. Name already changed.

God, I'm so slow today...

EDIT 2:

I agree, that could work. Maybe we can do a reading schedule in weeks, let's say:

Week 1 - page 1 to 100, and then after the week you don't need to use spoiler tags for the events you read in that week?

:agree:

I think that's the best method. Better than a full reading schedule.

Sounds good to me. I think everybody should be able to keep up with that. :)

OJ, but that means you can discuss Book 1, as long as you don't spoil for Book 2, eh?

Yeah, he can just tag along as we make our way to Book 3.

In the interest of full disclosure, I've also read Best Served Cold. It was the first Abercrombie book I read. But, I can say that nothing that happens in it has really anything to do with the original trilogy (at least through the first two books) except for a couple of main characters in Best Served Cold having very minor roles in the first two books of the FIrst Law trilogy.

We should take some time to discuss how we're going to handle spoilertags and whether we'll use a reading schedule or not. I suggest we don't use a reading schedule and make sure that you hide spoilers if you're ahead of the group.

Yeah, I think a good rule of thumb would be to use spoiler tags whenever in doubt. I already have a couple of comments in the back of my mind that I'd like to make and will definitely put one in a spoiler tag, even though it is a broad observation with very, very limited spoiler information.

When are y'all thinking about starting the read? I may even go back and re-read a bit on your schedule.

When are y'all thinking about starting the read? I may even go back and re-read a bit on your schedule.

Next week, probably on Tuesday or Wednesday. I think around 100-150 pages a week is okay?

Archived