Spoiler free impressions of aMoL...

fionwe1987

I know there are a lot of people impatiently waiting for the book who don't want to read the spoilers, but still want to know something about the books. So I thought I'd take a hand at writing a spoiler free review of the book. Bear in mind I'm a fan of the series on the whole, somewhat critical of Brandon Sanderson's handling of the books, but still very invested in the series. As such, expect these things to color my views.

Also, my definition of spoilers is specific plot points from the book. Me saying "the arc of character X was wonderful" is not a spoiler, as far as I see it. Same with "certain elements were not explained". If you think these are spoilers, then don't read on!

The end. To a lot of long time fans of the series, this is a hard thing to imagine. Whatever one thinks of the length and pacing of the series, its hard to deny that those who invested their time in the series even a little have had a long time to grow to love/hate the characters in the story. And the sheer amount of reading time you've spent with them makes their outcome more impactful. They're almost old friends, and these old friends are about to face carnage and destruction of an unprecedented level for this series. We've seen them grow ready for this, but seeing them actually face the end of the world is something else.

As can be expected, this is a book with a lot of action. A lot of things happen, some foreseen, some not. Even though we have some conception of how things might end, what is shocking is how that ultimate knowledge quickly stops mattering when you're in the thick of it with Elayne or Mat or Egwene or Perrin. We may think we know the destination, but this journey provides enough twists to keep things interesting.

Partly because I read the book so fast, and partly because so much of the book is so focussed on action (a forte of Brandon Sanderson), I noticed less the many annoyances involved in the transition from one author to the other. In the sweep of the Last Battle, the enormous carnage, the powerful sacrifice of so many primary, secondary and tertiary characters we know, these things still shine through, if not perfectly, at least well enough.

A Foresaken long hidden is revealed, and it is satisfying. Tactics of the Shadow from the past rear their faces again, to disastrous results. A great threat long foreshadowed rears its head, and is dealt with unexpected means and powerful sacrifice that few would have foreseen, yet which is enormously satisfying at an emotional level, and even more so for its great thematic depth. Humanity fights among the ruins of a fracturing reality.

But what of the central conflict? What of the battle between the Dragon and the Dark One? Here, I cared less about the actual mechanics, and more about the thematic significance. And at the thematic level, it fits. At the plot level too, though there is what seems to be misdirection. As someone I discussed this with said, it is both surprising and logical. Logical, because there is no last minute talisman that saves the day. Surprising because there were enough threads surrounding this that the final weave couldn't be exactly guessed at. The Wheel has no beginning or ending. But this is an ending, and it is fitting.

In keeping with that catechism so central to the series, not all threads are wrapped up, by far. While answering many of the deepest questions of the series, many others are left in the air, with clues here and there hinting at the direction they will go, but no final statement on what will happen. And there are hooks, at least two good hooks, that should provide for some active discussion. The world is not finished. Our characters cannot retire into a life free of adventure.

And to me, that was the best part of the ending. It felt like one, yet did not preclude us from imagining the Wheel spinning on, new adventures, new conflicts, rebirth, rebuilding. As a character says at a critical moment: "The Pattern would continue".

How do you rate the book relative to the others in the series?

Very hard to answer. For one thing, it isn't a complete book. Its an almost direct launch into the third act of a book. That makes it tough to pit against other individual books. Thematically, a lot of stuff needs to be considered with tGS and ToM to make sense, and that makes this book, on its own, similar to almost nothing in the series.

That said, it is incredibly action packed. Its very different from other WoT books. Its like the typical big climaxes we're used to seeing at the end of Jordan's books (the faster ones, at least), but stretched out over an entire novel. Heck, one single chapter in this book could have been a novel.

So very hard to place, compared to the others.

I rather doubt it, amazon.uk shows the publication date for the paperback as October 2013 so I guess that amazon.de (?) was jumping the gun a little.

What happened to that thread anyway, I can't seem to find it, culled as the runt of the litter?

Yeah, I guess so. I just wonder what they told people who preordered.

I've been looking for that other thread too. Maybe our beloved dread overlords decided it was a bit too derailed?

The mods here much like Amazon move in their own very mysterious ways, that said, and at risk of derailing this thread too my order has been dispatched so I'm feeling quite charitably inclined towards amazon, the moderating team and small children everywhere.

In the end, I've decided that because 'it's 5 o'clock somewhere', I'll go ahead and post my review, reactions and an interview for A Memory of Light.

I read your spoiler free review (one more day so i can wait) and thanks it was great. I can sense your love for the story. I was 13 when i read the first book so i have a feeling ill have mixed emotions when im done, like you clearly did. Its great to see so many positive reviews and it only adds to my enthusiasm to read. Its going to be intresting to see how it holds up for hard core fans on re-read, as i assume many people will rush through the book on first read. For now though, thanks for a well written and heart felt review

Helps add to the occasion as well when youve been waiting for years and it finally comes out on your birthday! :)

Great spoiler-free review.

One thing that I've often wondered about book series and the fandom, and doubly so with WOT - what happens to the fan communities now? Do Theoryland and 13th Depository and WOTFAQ stick around once all the questions and mysteries that can be answered are answered? I certainly hope so, but I haven't been part of a fandom that knows it won't get any more answers.

Thanks for the spoiler free review, Ken. We've been waiting for this book for so long, you have no idea how it is right now in the dalThor/mashiara household. Our copy has shipped but it won't get here until early next week, and that's if the post office gods hear our pleading, we've had so many late deliveries lately. Once it gets here expect the twins to be left to their own devices, their parents will be busy fighting over who gets to read the book.

Thank you for the review. Having read EotW in its first paperback edition, I too have a lot invested in this series. I can't wait to read the ending.

Once it gets here expect the twins to be left to their own devices, their parents will be busy fighting over who gets to read the book.

I foresee us littering the floor with Cheerios and sippy cups for a few days. If that runs out we can let them scrounge through the cat food bowl.

you have no idea how it is right now in the dalThor/mashiara household. Our copy has shipped but it won't get here until early next week, and that's if the post office gods hear our pleading, we've had so many late deliveries lately. Once it gets here expect the twins to be left to their own devices, their parents will be busy fighting over who gets to read the book.

I foresee us littering the floor with Cheerios and sippy cups for a few days. If that runs out we can let them scrounge through the cat food bowl.

You guys really should've bought two copies. :) A friend of mine bought two copies of the last three Harry Potter books for his daughters and just donated one to a library afterwards.

I've been reading these books since November 1991. I can't believe it'll be over in a few weeks. Yes, I'll be stretching out the experience.

Myrddin, if we were going to spend the extra cash I think we might have opted for overnight delivery rather than an extra copy. It would have been a total of over 50€. Luckily our schedules are opposite so the only times we'll be home together to fight over it will be early afternoon and after 9 or 10 at night.

Couldn't you read to eachother? Wouldn't that be romantic? ;)

Only if she does different voices for each character. ;)

Archived