Spoiler free impressions of aMoL...

fionwe1987

Got my copy from waterstones this morning, 200 pages in so far and listening to Redemption's Son (a track from the video game X-Beyond the Frontier and Sirius by Clannad, a couple of songs i remember listening to in 1999 when i first read the books. Glad i managed to resist the spoiler thread :)

I guess I'll wait for the ebook, or until one of my geekier friends gets it. The only hardcover I'd spend over 20€ on would be Winds of Winter ;)

Too bad that paperback as advertised by amazon doesn't exist.

Myrddin, if we were going to spend the extra cash I think we might have opted for overnight delivery rather than an extra copy. It would have been a total of over 50€. Luckily our schedules are opposite so the only times we'll be home together to fight over it will be early afternoon and after 9 or 10 at night.

50€ is a paltry sum for marital peace! :) I know. Just kidding. Hopefully your twins will let you two read...

So, I am kinda angry at our booksellers incompetence - not a single bookshop actually has it today in our fair city of Vienna. It seems that a couple of enthusiast employees at a couple of stores ordered a US edition, which they received and sold out(!) before Christmas, while everybody else has ordered a UK edition and has not a clue when it might actually arrive.

They deserve to die out, IMHO. I should have used Amazon, but they lulled me into complacency by having the last couple of Jordan/Martin books in store day and date. And yea, lack of an e-book really stings now.

First, I hate all of you who have the book already. I will continue hating you until I get my copy.

Couldn't you read to eachother? Wouldn't that be romantic? ;)

No, maybe not so romantic and certainly not practical. Heck, half the time we can't even agree on how to pronounce the names. :P Besides, that would take forever.

I guess I'll wait for the ebook, or until one of my geekier friends gets it. The only hardcover I'd spend over 20€ on would be Winds of Winter ;)

Too bad that paperback as advertised by amazon doesn't exist.

I feel the same way about hardcovers but Martin and Jordan (Sanderson, now, I guess) are my exception. I so wish the ebook was coming out today as well. We would have bought both, Tor is really screwing themselves up on this one.

50€ is a paltry sum for marital peace! :) I know. Just kidding. Hopefully your twins will let you two read...

We just couldn't justify the expense, especially the way things are in Greece right now. *shrug* Like dalThor said, we work on opposite schedules anyway, we'll have our chances to read without fighting too much.

So I'm listening to Brandon's writing podcast (Writing Excuses) and every week they have a free audio book available through Audible (free one month trial membership). Well, this week, it's Memory of Light.

Not sure if this works overseas. But for those waiting for ebook or paperback for economic reasons, go knock yourself out. Use code "writingexcuses" for free trial.

So I'm listening to Brandon's writing podcast (Writing Excuses) and every week they have a free audio book available through Audible (free on month membership). Well, this week, it's Memory of Light.

Not sure if this works overseas. But for those waiting for ebook or paperback for economic reasons, go knock yourself out. Use code "writingexcuses" for free trial.

There's also Audible.com 30 day Free Trial (not sure if it's the same thing) which gets you 2 credits you can use to download 2 books of your choice and you can cancel before the end of the month and don't pay anything, that's what I used today to download it, I am in Eastern Europe so it works outside of US. The promotion link doesn't work once I took advantage of it, so just google it if you are interested.

Though I've read some reports on the net that it may be tricky to cancel your audible.com subscription and after those 30 days it's 15 bucks a month, so keep that in mind.

Thanks for mentioning the Audible offer. I took advantage of it, downloaded the audiobook, and have already canceled my membership. It's not a difficult process; you have to click past several "please don't leave" offers, but nothing more strenuous than that.

This is a very shitty read so far (read first quarter, last 50 pages). The prose is worse than usual for this poorly-written series and the characterizations are as bad as ever. Worse than I feared/anticipated after the spoilers.

Larry, you wrote in your The Gathering Storm review:

While I would not consider it to be among the best works released in 2009, it certainly is one of the best epic fantasies that I have read. The Wheel continues to turn and thankfully it appears to be cranking a bit faster and toward a more intriguing conclusion than I had suspected when I had suspended my reading of the series back in 2000. Highly recommended for WoT fans and recommended for those who might have become disillusioned by the previous four volumes.

It looks like Sanderson's next WoT books didn't work for you.

Archived