Cuellar

Council Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

They posted the preview for next season (nothing significant in it):
http://www.cbs.com/s...ason-26-preview

I have high hopes after last season, which I thought was the best in the past few years. Hopefully the fans won't get crushed like normal...

They did mention something about a return pairing, so obviously Romber would be cool...

Probst EW preview:
http://insidetv.ew.c...or-philippines/

Spoiler discussion related to the EW preview:
Spoiler

#2 awesome possum

awesome possum

all naturale

• Members
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Probst always hypes the season as great but he has said this season outshines the Phillipines, and that was one of the better seasons since the first Fans vs Favorites season. So I have high hopes, but its Survivor. I've enjoyed even the worst seasons.

Edited by awesome possum, 07 January 2013 - 08:17 PM.

#3 snowleo

snowleo

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Probst doesn't like seasons where women win. So look for an alpha-male man-crush to be the winner, if he claims this is a great season. Aside from that, I've seen the leaked cast-list, and seems like the title should have been "Fans vs. People who should not be walking around on the streets and also Malcom who deserves another shot because he is pretty and athletic"

snow "OK, Malcolm is pretty awesome" leo

#4 Cuellar

Cuellar

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

Snow, I agree, I saw the list, and at least of 4-5 of the cast members probably won't get far. There are maybe 2 returnees that I'm actually a fan of...

#5 awesome possum

awesome possum

all naturale

• Members
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Yeah, a couple choices are questionable. There are at least two I can think of who were known more for being obnoxious or mean than their gameplay, one who never even got a chance to play, two who played themselves into strong positions only to basically stop playing and get voted out, two who made incredibly stupid decisions at critical points in the game, one who was a coattail rider and two strong players.

#6 ShowOverBooks

ShowOverBooks

Landed Knight

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

I don't like the 'fans vs favourites' format. Who the hell cares if 10 nobodies are 'superfans' or not. It means nothing. I prefer a smaller number of returning players, and no one who has won already.

I don't dislike Malcolm, but I don't want to see anyone in consecutive seasons.

#7 awesome possum

awesome possum

all naturale

• Members
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

I dunno, the "superfans" of the show haven't really disappointed so far. Todd (winner of China), Erik (giver away of idol at final 5), Cochran, Malcolm, and Lisa are all superfans I can think of off the top of my head and they were all entertaining in their own ways.

What Survivor needs more of is superfans - people who know the game very well and want to win Survivor rather than models/actors who are cast because they're attractive and want to get "noticed."

#8 Reposado

Reposado

I'll burn that bridge when I come to it

• Members
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

I don't like the 'fans vs favourites' format. Who the hell cares if 10 nobodies are 'superfans' or not. It means nothing. I prefer a smaller number of returning players, and no one who has won already.

I don't dislike Malcolm, but I don't want to see anyone in consecutive seasons.

I actually like it a lot better than 2-3returnees . The news get a tribe of their own and the favwrites are at least on the same level

#9 ShowOverBooks

ShowOverBooks

Landed Knight

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

I dunno, the "superfans" of the show haven't really disappointed so far. Todd (winner of China), Erik (giver away of idol at final 5), Cochran, Malcolm, and Lisa are all superfans I can think of off the top of my head and they were all entertaining in their own ways.

What Survivor needs more of is superfans - people who know the game very well and want to win Survivor rather than models/actors who are cast because they're attractive and want to get "noticed."

But Lisa and Malcolm were not in a 'fans vs favourites' season. I am only objecting to the classification, not the quality of players. There have been tons of fine players who weren't billed as 'fans'.

Honestly, I question Lisa as a superfan. She played most of the season as very wishy-washy. As if she was unprepared for the game.

#10 awesome possum

awesome possum

all naturale

• Members
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

I think she was prepared to play the social and strategic parts of the game but unprepared physically and emotionally. I remember reading that she split from her husband of 20+ years about a week or so before getting on the plane to the Phillipines, which I think puts her wishy washiness into perspective a bit.

Edited by awesome possum, 08 January 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#11 Reposado

Reposado

I'll burn that bridge when I come to it

• Members
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

I feel the superfan distinction implies knowledge of the show and is independent of skill courage or moviemaking. Lisa may know all of the contestants from season 2 and the order they went out for all we know

#12 Cuellar

Cuellar

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

The main problem with the superfans is that they end up getting carried away with being on the show and actually seem not be as focused on the million dollars.

#13 MisterOJ

MisterOJ

Over-protective

• Members
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

Cast is officially out.

#14 awesome possum

awesome possum

all naturale

• Members
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

Okay, since that's out and done with we can talk without spoiler boxes! I kind of like this cast but if anything it reinforces the idea that it's hard for a female in Survivor to really make an impact as all but one I listed as "Meh" below. They'll be entertaining I think, but only one of them really seem to be a player.

I also like that they're a bunch of players who were mostly known for their mistakes than for being power players who got a bum rap so they have a lot to make up for.

My predictions for the Favorites:

Brandon Hantz - No chance at all. Even if he learned not to view everything as Black or White I don't think he can handle his instability.

Phillip Shephard - No chance at all. Same with Brandon, too unstable. Anyone who aligns with either of these two guys will be seen as an opportunist who needs to be removed.

Malcolm - No chance at all. I think he could be the perfect Survivor player, but judging from his despondent, pissed off attitude at the finale I'm guessing he doesn't win this one either.

John Cochran - This guy is a player. He might not have done a great job of it last go round, but I feel like he knows the game very well and has already made the mistake of turning on his alliance and paying for it. He will be a power player this season.

Erik Reichenback - He's someone who should have learned, majorly, from his first go-round. But I think he'll still be too naive to do what needs to be done. He'll be used, abused, and discarded. Again.

Brenda Lowe - I think she will be the other power player among the favorites. She proved that she had game in Nicaragua but then made the fatal mistake of becoming overly arrogant and stopped playing, which resulted almost immediately in her ousting. I think she will learn from her mistake and make some big moves.

Dawn Meehan - Meh. She just seems more concerned with the experience then actually playing the game. She'll be a coattail rider and if she aligns with the right side she'll make it far but I don't think she has a chance of winning.

Andrea Boehlke - Meh. She might have some game, but she was in a season dominated by Boston Rob and was completely ineffective in doing anything. But she is a cute blonde in a bikini.

Corinne Kaplan - Meh. She'll be entertaining because she has no verbal filter but I don't think she'll manage to align with anyone and gets voted out early.

Francesca Hogi - Meh. She was the first person voted out so she's as much of an unknown as any returning player ever. I don't know if she'll be able to do much in the game, but I do recall her having very entertaining confessionals for that episode. And she did clash with Phillip, so that should be interesting.

Edited by awesome possum, 11 January 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#15 MisterOJ

MisterOJ

Over-protective

• Members
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

I like this group of favorites because (outside of Macomb) none of them are especially big physical threats. I think that's good because it probably means they won't just completely roll over the newbies in challenges.

Plus, it looks like a few of the newbies could be physical players in the challenges, which should help make a fairly even playing field.

Also, there's plenty of crazy on the favorites side. That makes for good TV. And, Brenda and Andrea are two of my favorite Survivor players ever to look at as eye candy. So that's a plus.

#16 viniS

viniS

Fatal Brain Evisceration

• Banned
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Anyone remember when Survivor was a game where they dropped 18-20 random people on an island and left them to their own devices, and we got to see if they could play the game? Now they're engineering the big-show moments by placing unstable people in the game, as opposed to letting the drama happen naturally. /sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

#17 MisterOJ

MisterOJ

Over-protective

• Members
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

I think they had to start doing that. The show was awesome when it first started. But then (for me at least) it got stale as people started learning "the game."

So, they had to do something to spice it up. And that meant letting some wackos play. Which I am fine with. Wackos deserve a chance at $1 million too.

#18 ShowOverBooks

ShowOverBooks

Landed Knight

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

I think they had to start doing that. The show was awesome when it first started. But then (for me at least) it got stale as people started learning "the game."

So, they had to do something to spice it up. And that meant letting some wackos play. Which I am fine with. Wackos deserve a chance at $1 million too.

I think this is a very accurate assessment.

#19 awesome possum

awesome possum

all naturale

• Members
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Yep. Two of the worst seasons of the entire show have been Nicaragua and One World and those were all new cast members. Those two seasons sucking is pretty much why Probst has repeatedly hinted that they plan on bringing back at least a couple returning cast members every season from here on out.

#20 shiola

shiola

Reek, Reek, it rhymes with Hodor.

• Members
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:27 AM

I am so excited to find out there's crossover between fans of ASoIaF and Survivor!! Survivor is my only love-- I've seen every season at least twice, except Redemption Island, South Pacific, and One World because they are awful.

I am so excited for Caramoan. Philippines ended on such a high note. Especially after the unspeakable seasons before it.

I am super opinionated about Survivor, just a warning, but I'll be nice.

Reply to this topic