Prologue.. from the past?

Lightstar

I suspect that Osha could be a prologue, once Davos gets Rickon and Shaggy, she is not needed anymore since Davos is a pov and Rickon himself maybe. Osha could die in the attempt to get Rickon back to the mainland.

Didn't GRRM say he wanted to give her a bigger role after seeing how well she was played in the series?

Have to disagree here. Rhaegar has always struck me as one of the series' most one-dimensional characters. He's awesome at everything he does. He's intelligent, he's handsome, he's a great fighter, he's sensitive, his playing of the harp gets everyone in the room pregnant, including the guys. He's like the wet dream of a teenage fanfiction writer. I just don't find a character so seemingly perfect to be interesting, which is why I don't particularly care to learn more about him. All I want to know regarding Rhaegar is the events at the Tower of Joy and whether he's Jon's father or not.

All of the mystery surrounding Rhaegar is the reason he is well-rounded. There is so much to him that we don't know. His fighting prowess is just the shell that everyone sees. The only time that we really get a look at his inner thoughts is from Maester Aemon.

I really like the idea of Lyanna. She seems to have nailed Robert's personality and had a unique understanding of the people around her, for instance that Ned would keep her promise if she asked him to. Her intimacy with Rhaegar however shortlived would have given her an insight to his thoughts and motives. I want to know more about her and why she would agree to run away with Rhaegar and thereby start a war. She had to have known that her actions would cause dire consequences. She was not a stupid girl.

I agree with Lion Of Judah on this one, i would really have like to see a Ned Prologue.Ned was one of those POV's that died having so many internal secrets.He has insights that would really help us string some stuff together.

Agreed.

I'd definitely argue that Rhaegar is series' most well-rounded character. He continues to affect almost every single thing that occurs in their world. To me, hearing people talk and reflect on him is the most interesting thing in the books. I NEED to know what he read or did that made him so melancholy all the time. That being said, there's almost no chance that GRRM would divulge this info as it contains some of the biggest mysteries.

He is such a mystery. He was so honourable yet he cheated on his wife with Lyanna. He was so creative and artistic yet he spent hours and hours in training for war. He believed in prophesy but thought with his actions that he could influence prophesy. There are so many unanswered questions about him.

I disagree, respectfully, with Pinkie Baelish, that Rhaegar is one dimensional. The first thing you hear about him, from Robert, is that he's a rapist. Then you start to hear accounts from other characters that differ. We hear that he was an artist, a warrior, a poet, a romantic, a scholar. Ned had only good thoughts of him even though he supposedly raped Lyanna. Rhaegar was even possibly a politician who planned to rebel against his mad king father. Who was he really? We don't know. All we know is that he may or may not be Jon's father.

I'd love a prologue from his or Lyanna's POV. I just don't think it'll happen.

i could really go for some Ned Stark prologue, maybe what happened as he burst through the doors to the tower of joy

I started a thread on this some time ago. I would love to see the young Ned Stark the warrior kicking some ass during Robert's Rebellion. We are given these little flashbacks of that time throughout the book and I always love them.

I thought that a Ned Stark POV would actually be possible because of Bran's greenseeing into the past through the weirwoods. It was one of my favorite scenes in aDwD when Bran goes into the past and sees his dad by the weirwood tree at winterfell. Bloodraven warns him not to visit the people he has lost, and that he cannot talk to the people in the past or affect things.

But Bran is a little kid who lost his dad. He is not going to heed these warnings. I think he is going to keep greenseeing into his dad's life over and over. My theory is that this is where GRRM is going to give us the big reveals about Rhaegar and Lyanna and other Stark mysteries.

I guess they would be third person Bran chapters, but they might be first person type things where Bran gets "lost" inside his dad's head, the way him and Arya get lost in their wolf identities when they warg.

We might even get to see Brandon the Builder's life, and see The Wall being built and/or other awesomeness with old Kings of the North.

Not sure about it happening in a prologue, but it's time for Martin to start divulging the answers to some of these mysteries. There are only two books left and many many unanswered questions. My favorite chapters in ADWD were Bran and Mel because in those we finally met the Three Eyed Crow, Children of the Forest as well as some other interesting info. I'm hoping he can wrap it up in two books but I'm afraid it's likey to need 3.

As much as I like a R+L=J prologue (like many of you) I think this information would come from the Reeds. Only one alive that knows that happen at The Tower of Joy is Howland. Maybe Howland told his kids about what happen TTJ. Jojen would probably tell Bran this, just like how he told the story of Howland at the tourney in Harrenhall.

I wouldn't mind seeing some dead Freys prologue.

As much as I like a R+L=J prologue (like many of you) I think this information would come from the Reeds. Only one alive that knows that happen at The Tower of Joy is Howland. Maybe Howland told his kids about what happen TTJ. Jojen would probably tell Bran this, just like how he told the story of Howland at the tourney in Harrenhall.

I wouldn't mind seeing some dead Freys prologue.

I thought this was the only possibility for a while, and because of that still hope for a Howland Reed reveal, but now I think Ashara Dayne may hold all the secrets as well.

I really like the idea of Lyanna. She seems to have nailed Robert's personality and had a unique understanding of the people around her, for instance that Ned would keep her promise if she asked him to. Her intimacy with Rhaegar however shortlived would have given her an insight to his thoughts and motives. I want to know more about her and why she would agree to run away with Rhaegar and thereby start a war. She had to have known that her actions would cause dire consequences. She was not a stupid girl.

A Lyanna POV would be awesome...maybe a deathbed scene with Ned. She probably thought about the consequences only after she ran away and the war started because of her wolf-blood, I imagine her to be impetuous.

Not sure about it happening in a prologue, but it's time for Martin to start divulging the answers to some of these mysteries. There are only two books left and many many unanswered questions

Supposedly two ;) wasn't it supposed to be a trilogy?

A Lyanna POV would be awesome...maybe a deathbed scene with Ned. She probably thought about the consequences only after she ran away and the war started because of her wolf-blood, I imagine her to be impetuous.

Supposedly two ;) wasn't it supposed to be a trilogy?

I'd love it. I love smart girls but I know they can still be swept away by romance

If anything, I guess a prologue PoV that could teach us a few things from the past would be Howland Reed, and it doesn't really have to be in the past, he could just be telling it in present day. We know for sure he was at ToJ and has probably seen what happened there (no way Ned could leave with one baby (or two) without Howland noticing). I guess he also knows a lot about greensight, children of the forest and maybe more, since Jojen had to learn that stuff somewhere. So if the guy was about to die from some reason (yeah because everyone dies when in prologue :P), I guess he would have a lot to tell from his deathbed.

i know that were at the tail end of ASOIAF, but i would really like it if grrm continued the practice of having pro-epi characters continue to be obscure characters that we just heard minimally about. It gives us a broader sense of his world and always gives us what we didnt even know we wanted...

well kevan wasnt that obscure but i guess that would be an exeption...

Archived