[Sample] Arianne I

Ran

This chapter plus the announcement of new pokemon games make me a very happy boy.

A few things.

1. Doran is now POV less. I don't know the significance of this, but with Hotah going off to find Darkstar, we now have no eyes on Doran. Methinks he may be working on several contingency plans. Hotah going off to face Darkstar also suggests a bigger role for him in Winds. Really hope he's not working with Doran in order to contact and relay messages to Mr. Dayne.

2. "here war meant wait"- Great quote.

3. A green dragon biting its tail on a golden field. Connecting Rhaegal and the Golden Company? Rhaegal and a Meereenese temple (which may suggest that he is going to die in Meereen)?

Is three Dragons enough for a repeat of the Dance? I've never really taken the idea of more Dragons showing up too seriously. The possible Dragon below Winterfell, the potential Ice Dragon at the Wall? With this potential green dreamer seeing another Dance and lots of death and destruction with it I'm starting to wonder.

I think Darkstar might be the bastard son of Brandon Stark and Ashara Dayne. The way Arianne speaks of his beauty and behavior reminds me of how Lady Dustin describe Brandon.

I had thought that as well, because we never had a confirmation on his age, but it's since been confirmed by Martin that DS is in his mid to late twenties.

Arianne is twenty-three/twenty-four, so he is pretty much her peer.

I like WHAT the little girl dreamed, but I didn't like how such a meaningless character is having these dreams. Patchface as least is a mystery that is still an active character. This fat little girl is mentioned for a paragraph and has a very important and relevant dream. I thought it was weak.

Still, we've seen through Theon and Patchface that people not connected to Targaryens or First Men or CotF can still have dreams that come true. So reading about the girl's dream was very cool.

I quite agree. Both the greendreams and Targaryen prophetic dreams lost a lot of its appeal for me. Everybody can have them, apparently. I remember that in a Sansa chapter in AGoT it was mentioned that it is said that dreams are prophetic, but I took it for superstition. How wrong I was.

With Patchface it is better because he is half mad and generally creepy. Even with Theon it felt different, because it tied nicely with what I personally call "mythos of Winterfell",i.e., the mysterious Winterfell Crypts, the castle allegedly being full of awakened ghosts of the past, the weirwood which makes Southrons feel unwelcome, and so forth.

Otherwise it is an excellent chapter.

To be honest, I was always a little indifferent to the Martells and thought them a little over-the-top, so I didn't bond with them as characters, but I did like the pace, and the in-depth insight into their motivations, giving them more of a "core."

(Not sure that this new insight makes Arianne anymore a force for good than Aegon, or Dany, but it will be interesting).

And now I'm truly scared of Darkstar, and do agree with another poster who suggested it's possible that Oberyn may have created a Monster by training him himself, which leads me uncomfortably to Arya.

If the Red Viper traveled far and wide indulging in dark arts and other things, it may be he had ties to the Faceless Men as well. Arya also has an aura of darkness around her, though I think that won't last if she doesn't forget who she is which I don't think she will given her connection to Nymeria and warging, but she could be running from bad to worse.

If DS got hold of the real Arya, (if he's not killed beforehand), he could have a very powerful hostage.

It will be interesting to find out what is motivating Darkstar.

Is it that he is not considered worthy to carry Dawn?

That he doesn't live up to Arthur Dayne?

The dynamics in that family I think will be as interesting to watch as the Starks, if their backstory is explored more.

All in all, a good read and can't wait for more.

I had thought that as well, because we never had a confirmation on his age, but it's since been confirmed by Martin that DS is in his mid to late twenties.

Arianne is twenty-three/twenty-four, so he is pretty much her peer.

Thank you, I did not know that. This clears up many theories concerning DS.

Can anyone really elaborate on Darkstar's intentions here? I mean, its obvious he wants to create chaos and start a war, but to what benefit to him?

All we know is that he wants war by any means necessary. He still may be working with someone else, but the feelings that Oberyn had about him makes me think he is the "Joker" of ASOIAF. He is simply an agent of chaos, an evil person looking to do evil deeds. He needs no real rhyme or reason.

Arianne is 22 so she's not exactly a child, the fact that the letter was written from Connington and not Aegon might mean he contacted the Martell's secretly, which will probably not bode well with Aegon, I can't see this meeting ending well tbh

To be honest, I was always a little indifferent to the Martells and thought them a little over-the-top, so I didn't bond with them as characters, but I did like the pace, and the in-depth insight into their motivations, giving them more of a "core."

(Not sure that this new insight makes Arianne anymore a force for good than Aegon, or Dany, but it will be interesting).

And now I'm truly scared of Darkstar, and do agree with another poster who suggested it's possible that Oberyn may have created a Monster by training him himself, which leads me uncomfortably to Arya.

If the Red Viper traveled far and wide indulging in dark arts and other things, it may be he had ties to the Face Men as well. Arya also has an aura of darkness around her, though I think that won't last if she doesn't forget who she is which I don't think she will given her connection to Nymeria and warging, but she could be running from bad to worse.

If DS got hold of the real Arya, (if he's not killed beforehand), he could have a very powerful hostage.

It will be interesting to find out what is motivating Darkstar.

Is it that he is not considered worthy to carry Dawn?

That he doesn't live up to Arthur Dayne?

The dynamics in that family I think will be as interesting to watch as the Starks, if their backstory is explored more.

All in all, a good read and can't wait for more.

I've always been partial to the Martells. They and their country seem so rich and full of life. I love the Sand Snakes, especially Nym and Tyene. The Viper was also one of my favorite characters. But most of all, it was their quest for vengeance that drew me to them the most. Other than house Stark, there is no one more deserving of justice than the Martells.

GRRM has increased the value of DS exponentially. This does not bode well for Areo, Obara and Ser Balon. At least one, maybe two of them will die in the attempt to bring DS to justice. If it takes all three of them to beat him, that would be epic indeed.

Maybe he wants created an alter ego to Ser Arthur (a darker version and legacy). Maybe he was denied "Sword of the Morning" not b/c of martial skill, but more b/c of honor or the lack thereof. That would explain quite a bit.

Darkstar is probably Doran's agent. Doran is likely a bit darker than we think. He is cautious, but his dreams of vengeance ultimately involve more blood spilling than any we've seen from other people.

As long as he had plausible deniability he may not have been averse to seeing Myrcella dead.

This was a really great chapter - I definitely prefer it to the Theon gift chapter. I'm even more excited for TWoW now. I just hope we won't have to wait too long for it.

I'm glad that GRRM has built Darkstar up as more of a threat now. I'll be very surprised if he's killed yet - I think he's going to kill Areo and possibly Obara. After that I think GRRM must have some sort of task in mind for him. I like the idea of him remaining in Sunspear to kill Doran.

Hmm, so people are already assuming that Arianne will want to be a queen herself, jump over Quentyn, so to speak. Not sure what's the significance since Quentyn is very dead. I wonder if her musings about Viserys' death point to the same, not only distrust of Dany.

I very much agree with this assessment. When Arianne learns that Aegon intends to 1) marry Daenerys and 2) crown himself as king, she may realise that it will come to war between Daenerys/Quentyn and Aegon regardless of what she does. I'm actually starting to believe that this is when she'll throw in with Aegon - before she discovers the truth of Quentyn's death ... or maybe she'll marry him after she learns this, when she realises that Dany is free to marry Aegon?

Either way, Arianne is set up to be a big player in this war. It's just a shame that she hasn't truly learned her lesson from the Myrcella incident, as can be seen by her reluctance to read about how Dorne fought back the dragons.

I wonder if it was a wise decision to send Elia to accompany Arianne. She's only 14 and very headstrong; I hope she doesn't do something rash and cause trouble for Arianne and the rest of them.

I think Doran purposely sent Elia Sand with Arianne to teach her about the dangers of being reckless.

I'm starting to fear for JC, GRRM said that he will kill POVs next book and I don't think he needs two POVs to tell fAegon's side once Arianne gets to him

This chapter heavily foreshadowed a second 'dance of the dragons' between Dany and Aegon, so I think two POVs on Aegon's side is the right amount considering that we'll probably have two on Dany's side too (herself and Tyrion), and I'm expecting Sansa to play a part as well ... maybe she'll observe and stay neutral? It was foreshadowed in AGoT:

"... Sansa was off listening to a troupe of singers perform the complex round of interwoven ballads called the "Dance of the Dragons".

Not only does this quote foreshadow Sansa's role in the dance, but it also suggests that the war will be 'complex'. It's not just going to be a small sub-plot - it's going to take up a lot of time (this is supported by the fact that it was supposed to be the subject of a whole book).

It's good to get more confirmation on Dornish skepticism of Aegon but I still wonder if an Arianne/Aegon match is in the works especially because of what was said in the app.

Ooh - could you please post what was said in the app?

What do we as readers really know? That she let her own brother be murdered with a stone-face and not a peep muttered. If Stannis is guilty of kinslaying, I'd say she's just as guilty. Both didn't do it themselves, but allowed "something" to do it without trying to interfere, maybe even giving it's blessing. (Stannis allowing Melisandre to do what she has to do to ensure Renly's defeat, and Dany not saying a peep or even trying to calm her husband down. Didn't he look at her, and she had said nothing and stood stone-faced, which is pretty much saying "Go for it.")

Clearly you know nothing about Dothraki culture if you think that Dany could have in any way stopped Viserys being murdered.

In contrast, Stannis was in complete control of the situation.

They're not comparable.

Loved the chapter. I still have the feeling that the Martells, and Arianne in particuler, are tools to be used by the other characters. The name Martell apparently means 'hammer' {tool} & the name Arianne is derived of Ariadne, princess of Crete who helped Theseus return from the minotaur's labyrinth, only to be left by him on an island on the way home to Athens. This chapter feels to me as a way for Martin to breed some sympathy for the characters, only for all of it to end in fire and blood. And not the kind of fire and blood they wish for.

And why did Doran pick Daemon to be her shield, "knowing [their] history"? Someone to keep her on her toes, someone who can be trusted not to just have their heads turned around? Or because of his connection to Oberyn, and his being something of his protege? He'd probably be a sharp fellow, if Oberyn had any say in the sort of youth he had as a squire.

Doran picked Daemon, it seems to me, because of rumors about Jon Connington being in a relationship with Rhaegar. The rumors about Daemon and the "Red Viper" being mentioned, the question about Connington being into whores or not, and Daemon's refusal of Arianne suggest that he is there to seduce Connington for information if such an opportunity arrises.

Oh them Dornishmen, they play a very sexual Game of Thrones

I think Darkstar is working with Doran....and he will be Dorne's answer to Ser Robert Strong. I think he will finally kill the Mountain and avenge Elia's death. Probably not for a while, but eventually.

It's easy to get caught up seeing just the Arianne/Aegon angle but I think Darkstar's role will go far beyond that. Arianne cannot compete with Dany, Cersei, or Margaery Tyrell to be Queen of Westeros.

Not sure how Hotah plays into this, but I don't think Darkstar will kill him. Maybe Hotah is the go-between. Doran is much too shrewd not to have his own weapon available to use for dirty work. And he has to know the skull that was delivered was not the Mountain's.

I usually find the Dorne chapters boring but I liked this one. Maybe because I am so thirsty for the next book, this was a good refreshment.

For the first time ever I am excited to read the next Areo Hotah chapter. Him, Obara and Balon Swann going off to hunt down the Darkstar is going to be awesome.

Really not sure how it will play out, I feel there is something vitally important here, it wont just be 3 people off to kill a guy then come back or get killed. One of those endings might happen but I feel something BIG has to be revealed too, really cant pinpoint it. Maybe Darkstar is working with Doran, or with someone else.... all I can say is that something quite dark will surely happen and I am not sure which of the characters will come back from this.

Darkstar Vs Balon, Hotah and Obara could be the most awesome fight in the entire series yet though!!

Arianne is 22 so she's not exactly a child, the fact that the letter was written from Connington and not Aegon might mean he contacted the Martell's secretly, which will probably not bode well with Aegon, I can't see this meeting ending well tbh

Good analysis, and IMHO, I'm a little ambivalent about Aegon, (in which case Arianne should like him just fine), :drool:

But I suppose Tyrions remark about him being like Joffrey sticks in my mind, though I realize Tyrion is not always the best judge of character, but I'm a little nervous of Aegon, because even if he's not Rhaegar and Elias dragon, he could still be a dragon, even if he's a Blackfyre, because it's the blood that counts, not the name and with the blood comes the potential issues.

Loved the chapter. I still have the feeling that the Martells, and Arianne in particuler, are tools to be used by the other characters. The name Martell apparently means 'hammer' {tool} & the name Arianne is derived of Ariadne, princess of Crete who helped Theseus return from the minotaur's labyrinth, only to be left by him on an island on the way home to Athens. This chapter feels to me as a way for Martin to breed some sympathy for the characters, only for all of it to end in fire and blood. And not the kind of fire and blood they wish for.

BAM!

Awesome comparison and reference, you nailed it

Doran picked Daemon, it seems to me, because of rumors about Jon Connington being in a relationship with Rhaegar. The rumors about Daemon and the "Red Viper" being mentioned, the question about Connington being into whores or not, and Daemon's refusal of Arianne suggest that he is there to seduce Connington for information if such an opportunity arrises.

Martin confirmed some time ago there was no relationship between JonCon and Rhaegar, that he didn't return his feelings.

But, it probably didn't stop Rhaegar holding JonCon in high esteem, though I think that Rhaegar did leave him out of the loop on many details, (i.e., Lyanna and Jon), because he did know his feelings and probably didn't trust him to be objective.

However, I do agree that perhaps Doran could be using Sand to that end.

Wow, that's interesting :)

@Patrick Stormborn: as a Dany fan, I have to say this chapter gave me life in a strange way.

Elia Sand sounds like a future Dothraki bride...

She sounds like Lyanna Stark 2.0 to me, I recall someone (sorry, can't remember who, Lady Dustin maybe?) in ADWD saying that "Lyanna was half a horse herself". Plus, the "Lady Lance" stuff only makes it clearer for me that Lyanna was KOTLT at Harrenhal.

Archived