#1 Triskan

Triskan

Frisky Trisky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,262 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Continue.

Horza - Ron Paul might be the best one of all...still probably would need the Fed on the other side.

#2 Fragile Bird

Fragile Bird

The past is a foreign country

• Members
  • 9,775 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

Will minting them stop gun violence? /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

#3 ThinkerX

ThinkerX

Council Member

• Members
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

For some reason, this whole 'trillion dollar coin' thjing reminds me of an episode of the SImpsons which featured something similiar.

That said...where would said coin physically reside?

Also, what is the effect when said coin in inevitably 'misplaced' or 'stolen'?

(A great many million dollar coins might work a lot better here.)

#4 Roose Boltons Pet Leech

Roose Boltons Pet Leech

Blood-sucking Aristocrat

• Members
  • 9,717 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

For some reason, this whole 'trillion dollar coin' thjing reminds me of an episode of the SImpsons which featured something similiar.

Fidel Castro will be rubbing his hands with glee.

Fort Knox?

If it gets stolen, mint another one. It's not like the thieves will ever get to spend the thing, and melting it down will only give a few thousand dollars.

#5 Shryke

Shryke

The Wood of the Morning

• Members
  • 40,919 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

I'm liking the idea of Joe Biden with his shit-eating grin and sunglasses.

It just fits the spirit of the coin so well.

#6 Fragile Bird

Fragile Bird

• Members
  • 9,775 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Did you see the Economist article I posted in the last thread? They suggested rather than the government produce such a coin to back up debt, they produce coins with a face value of $50 Million and sell them to the public. ie Corporations and mutual funds that need money stashed safely. The coins would be safeguarded at the Federal Reserve.

#7 Jaxtile

Jaxtile

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

I'm liking the idea of Joe Biden with his shit-eating grin and sunglasses.

It just fits the spirit of the coin so well.

Go full Tenso and just have his grin floating in the middle of the coin.

#8 awesome possum

awesome possum

naturally

• Members
  • 10,374 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

If the coin does happen, this picture needs to be on it.

#9 Mlle. Zabzie

Mlle. Zabzie

Inquiring

• Members
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

So, Jack Lew as Treasury Sec. Wonks, what's the wonkery on this one?

#10 Fragile Bird

Fragile Bird

• Members
  • 9,775 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Ha ha - CNBC did a story on Jack Lew's signature yesterday, here's something similar from RT news.

Think of that signature on US currency. /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

#11 Shryke

Shryke

The Wood of the Morning

• Members
  • 40,919 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Seems like a cool guy. Apparently the GOP doesn't like him to some extent because he's been "disrespectful" of their lack of math skills during various negotiations.

Also, his name is ripe for punning, so I'm cool with him.

Edited by Shryke, 10 January 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#12 DanteGabriel

DanteGabriel

There's No Social Justice, There's Just Us

• Members
  • 18,173 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

I know nothing about Lew except he is a former Citigroup exec. The people who suckered my widowed mother into a loan where she didn't pay back any principle when she refinanced her mortgage ten years ago. Fuck the Citi and all its minions.

Edited by DanteGabriel, 10 January 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#13 Fez

Fez

We the dancer

• Members
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

He'll be the highest ranking orthodox Jew in US government history (category: executive branch). So that's nice.

Also, I am absolutely certain that the NY Post will call refer to the next fiscal agreement as a "Lew-d deal", so that'll be fun.

#14 Fragile Bird

Fragile Bird

• Members
  • 9,775 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Jack Lew is essentially a life long Washington civil servant, with brief tenures in private business. The most questionable would be his Citigroup stint, but he was appointed to a management position and not apparently involved in creative business practices: http://www.washingto...was-profitable/

Just watched Obama's press conference announcing his nomination. There was thunderous applause for Geithner which CNBC called "obviously genuine", and Obama said he had never paid attention to Lew's signature before yesterday and almost rescinded his decision, but Lew has agreed to make at least one letter of his signature recognizable so as not to debase US currency. /tongue.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

#15 TrackerNeil

TrackerNeil

Queen of Thorns

• Members
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

I think it's a riot the way conservatives are going bananas over the Hagel nomination. I just heard some AEI schmuck on the radio complaining that since Hagel gets high marks from the NRA and low marks from NARAL, he's just not the right fit for Obama. You'd have thought she'd be delighted that Obama showed the bipartisan spirit to nominate as Def Sec a man with so many views she agrees with, but whatever.

Personally, I'm a bit miffed that we're getting two Republicans in a row for this position, something a GOP president would never do for us. Maybe this is part of some scheme to cut military spending, and if so we'd better damn well get results.

Edited by TrackerNeil, 10 January 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#16 Ken Stone

Ken Stone

Child of the Corn

• Members
  • 5,061 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

Ha ha - CNBC did a story on Jack Lew's signature yesterday, here's something similar from RT news.

Think of that signature on US currency. /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

This is a guy after my own heart. Once I figured out that it doesn't matter what you signature looks like on credit card receipts, all bets were off. I'm to the point where I just scribble back and forth really fast with the pen.

#17 Roose Boltons Pet Leech

Roose Boltons Pet Leech

Blood-sucking Aristocrat

• Members
  • 9,717 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Personally, I'm a bit miffed that we're getting two Republicans in a row for this position, something a GOP president would never do for us.

Nitpick: the current Secretary of Defence is a Democrat. But, yes, there is a strange tradition of Democrats appointing Republicans to the position, but never vice versa:

http://en.wikipedia....tary_of_Defense

#18 Social Justice Darkstar

Social Justice Darkstar

I am of the social justice night

• Members
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

To be fair that's mostly because there are almost no democrats in the higher ranks of the military in general. Picking a dem would be cherry picking indeed.

#19 awesome possum

awesome possum

naturally

• Members
  • 10,374 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Maybe this is part of some scheme to cut military spending, and if so we'd better damn well get results.

Yesterday, during my weekly 15 minutes of torturning myself, I heard Limbaugh foaming at the mouth about Hagel. Apparently, Hagel is the first stroke in Obama's nefarious plan to dismantle the military. Not cut spending, but dismantle it entirely over the next generation. And Obama will have the time to do this because he's going to get himself elected president for life.

The sad thing is, I could hear in his voice that he didn't believe a single word he was saying. It was almost like he was reading from a script. But the idiots that worship him will continue to eat it up and treat it as gospel.

We can never hope for sanity from the right as long as he lives.

#20 The Undead Martyr

The Undead Martyr

Council Member

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

I First heard of the signature crap this morning... disgusting, that the "news" only talks about poor handwriting. Really, tell us about his positions, his experience, etc. etc...