Beyond the LoIaF maps

I know people have thought about what lies beyond the Cities of the Bloodless Men or the Grey Waste and of course the Shadow Lands. But has anyone actually made a map of what they think is beyond these regions? This topic is to discuss what you think is in these unexplored parts of Matin's world and if you have made a map of these lands, please feel free to share it!

Actually I'm done with Essos, this is it. I'm almost sure that we'll never hear anything about the most east. :laugh:

But I think east of Shadowlands are consumed by the ghost grass :crying:

I hope that we'll learn more about something about these new places in the east.

I wonder more about Sothoryos and Ulthos. I think there's some tribes in northern part of Sothoryos. I'll glad that if GRRM introduce some tribes.

:rolleyes:

and sorry I haven't made up any maps.

I've been obsessed with this aspect of the story ever since the map book came out. I really hope we'll get to see what's even further east but I really doubt it.

I'd be thrilled to learn more about Sothoryos and Ulthos though. Despite what many readers say, I'd love it if the narrative took us there somehow.

I've been obsessed with this aspect of the story ever since the map book came out. I really hope we'll get to see what's even further east but I really doubt it.

I'd be thrilled to learn more about Sothoryos and Ulthos though. Despite what many readers say, I'd love it if the narrative took us there somehow.

YES. I desperately want to see the East, and I really hope that Dany will go there before her journey ends.

I've been more interested the West at the moment, since the Kingsmoot, when that Farwynd guy promised to take the ironmen to the lands beyond the Sunset Sea. Still, nothing is more fascinating to me than Asshai and the Shadowlands. What the fuck is the "Shadow"? And what is Ulthos like?

I've made a map of what I think the rest of Sothoryos looks like. The jungles go a little bit further south and then there are lots of deserts and savannah type regions. I haven't drawn the coast yet though.

Would definitely be interested to see that uploaded here when its done. There's also this one. All credit goes to the original artist of course.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-oaykec4oX6Y/TymTXVws2LI/AAAAAAAAB9Y/27STcgPIZ-E/s1600/World+Map+GoT+Westeros+Essos+Sothoryos+Poniente.jpg

Obviously created long before the map book came out and slightly more artsy than accurate. But so far it seems like the only one anywhere online that attempts the rest of Sothoryos. Definitely one of my favorite asoiaf images online.

This is my redition of what the rest of Sothoryos is like (except for the bottom coast). It got slightly cut off at the bottom, so at the very bottom is said "Lands of the Sand Men."

EDIT: for some reason the picture didnt come up. Does anyone know how to do this? I tried scanning it, opening it up in word, then pasting it to this site, but it wouldn't show up for some reason. I don't know what went wrong.

This is my redition of what the rest of Sothoryos is like (except for the bottom coast). It got slightly cut off at the bottom, so at the very bottom is said "Lands of the Sand Men."

EDIT: for some reason the picture didnt come up. Does anyone know how to do this? I tried scanning it, opening it up in word, then pasting it to this site, but it wouldn't show up for some reason. I don't know what went wrong.

Think you'd have to upload it to an image site then link that.

It bugs me that we didn't get all of Essos in the Lands book. I find it hard to believe that with Asshai being a well known city, that nobody would've charted just a little further up the coast. If it extends much further east then it would be the most suspiciously long and rectangular naturally occurring thing EVER, so the end can't be far. I can completely understand Sothoryos and Ulthos, given the rumours of disease and what not (though you'd think the Jade Sea would be completely charted, coasts of aforementioned continents an all). But just zoom out ever so slightly and give us an east coast to Essos? Is that too much to ask?

It bugs me that we didn't get all of Essos in the Lands book. I find it hard to believe that with Asshai being a well known city, that nobody would've charted just a little further up the coast. If it extends much further east then it would be the most suspiciously long and rectangular naturally occurring thing EVER, so the end can't be far. I can completely understand Sothoryos and Ulthos, given the rumours of disease and what not (though you'd think the Jade Sea would be completely charted, coasts of aforementioned continents an all). But just zoom out ever so slightly and give us an east coast to Essos? Is that too much to ask?

It's from the point of view of a well cultured Westerosi. Maybe someone from..Yunkai,let's say,knows about other cities and lands,further down on Sothoryosian coasts,and the Jade Sea,or maybe beyond Asshai.

• 2 months later...

I'm really interested in this. Especially in light of what Martin just revealed about the lands north of the wall being the size of Canada!!!!! That's rediculously huge compared to south of the wall.

Any thoughts or opinonis on what the impact of such a massive north could be? In the next two books he has stated we will be taken the furthest north yet. (not sure if this is the place for that discussion or not lol first post)

I really don't see how seeing a randomly drawn coastline with some weird names written on it could have any kind of interest. It's clear that GRRM has imagined Asshai and the Shadow as the "Far East" and has not bothered to think what's further. Even those lands are just only sketched as a "hic sunt dracones" equivalent.

I for one would prefer to have the lands that we already know about more fleshed out. We still don't know much about Westeros. The seats of major noble houses are still to be placed. Many borders are still to be defined. Rivers to be named. And so on.

Think you'd have to upload it to an image site then link that.

This forum doesn't allow "..." pictures like other php boards. It took a while for me to get used to, but now I see it runs a lot faster because of that.

I'm really interested in this. Especially in light of what Martin just revealed about the lands north of the wall being the size of Canada!!!!! That's rediculously huge compared to south of the wall.

Any thoughts or opinonis on what the impact of such a massive north could be? In the next two books he has stated we will be taken the furthest north yet. (not sure if this is the place for that discussion or not lol first post)

I think he's said that the lands north of the Wall are like Canada, not the same size.

I think he's said that the lands north of the Wall are like Canada, not the same size.

skip to 1:07 to hear Martin himmself say it. "It's a large expanse of land probably as large as Canada"

It's a brand new video/interview just released on the day I made that post actually. That was why I came here looking to see if it had ever been mentioned before. I was pretty shocked to hear how big it is up there.

skip to 1:07 to hear Martin himmself say it. "It's a large expanse of land probably as large as Canada"

It's a brand new video/interview just released on the day I made that post actually. That was why I came here looking to see if it had ever been mentioned before. I was pretty shocked to hear how big it is up there.

Interesting. That's a lot larger than previously thought. The maps go up to about 700 miles north of the Wall, so by that count either there's an additional 2,000-odd miles of territory up there, or it suddenly widens out a lot just beyond the northern edge of the map.

What is odd is that the bit north of the Wall inhabited by the wildlings is clearly shown on the maps, with the Lands of Always Winter being uninhabitable arctic wasteland. So whilst there may be an area comparable to Canada up there (and let's remember GRRM talks loosely, saying that Westeros is the same size as South America when it's actually the same length, with nowhere near as much territory in comparison), certainly the areas lived in by the wildlings are nowhere near as large.

Interesting. That's a lot larger than previously thought. The maps go up to about 700 miles north of the Wall, so by that count either there's an additional 2,000-odd miles of territory up there, or it suddenly widens out a lot just beyond the northern edge of the map.

What is odd is that the bit north of the Wall inhabited by the wildlings is clearly shown on the maps, with the Lands of Always Winter being uninhabitable arctic wasteland. So whilst there may be an area comparable to Canada up there (and let's remember GRRM talks loosely, saying that Westeros is the same size as South America when it's actually the same length, with nowhere near as much territory in comparison), certainly the areas lived in by the wildlings are nowhere near as large.

And again, how can we actually know Westero's area, since the maps lack any kind of scale? Free Northman once stated the North is the size of the European portion of Russia, based on the Wall's length, but still, there's no "official scale".

Yea I was thinking about that. He probably just cut it off when the maps were made though for the sake of space or a later reveal. If it is that huge it would be reasonable to believe that the very top is where the others (particularly the great other if he really exists) like to hang out. Because we already know it gets colder the further up they go so it's not beyond the realm of possiblity for it to be sub artic temperatures at the top.

And again, how can we actually know Westero's area, since the maps lack any kind of scale? Free Northman once stated the North is the size of the European portion of Russia, based on the Wall's length, but still, there's no "official scale".

eh even if he is speaking loosely with no official scale GRRM still picked something in Canada for comparison that's large enough that even if there's a +/- difference of 1000miles it's still going to add a massive tract of land that we haven't seen yet

Maybe the Lands of Always Winter are like GRRM's polar ice cap. Maybe instead of widening, it continues to go North until it actually goes South once it reaches the opposite side of the northern pole.

Archived