Bran will be Melisandre's undoing.

Lion of Judah

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it made abundantly clear that Bran will not be able to communicate through the weirwoods? Him talking translates to leaves rustling and wind blowing or something. With that being said, I am still confused why Theon hears someone say his name in the godswood. Bran also gets Ned's attention in the flashback-esque scene, but it wasn't in the way of comprehensible words.

Assuming this is true, how will Bran have any effect on the battle for Winterfell? Maybe he'll be able drop a branch on Ramsay.

But Bran obviously talked with Ned, there's some kind of time traveling loop going on here but it could be that Bran has ability to whisper into the past and be heard. Obviously not desirable and probably impossible for Bloodraven since he tried it unsuccessfully. But I could be wrong.

I think he will not be able to actually talk through the trees. First off it was clearly stated, second he tried and it didn't work. He cought Ned's attention because Ned probably knew what Asha told Bran : the old gods answer through the wind, period. I don't think Bran will become a Mary Sue, he will probably able to fight the Others somehow, but he will not be able to influence the characters on the other side of the wall. Or maybe he teams up with Mel and he gets some new power thanks to her.

If Bran and BR are going to be able to help in the war against the great other, it is going to be with their warging powers. I am a firm believer that the Others are able to Warg dead beings (humans, bears, horses, etc). If that is the case, perhaps BR and Bran will be able to take over the Wights and turn them against each other or....who knows. They are definitely going to have something to do with the Other aspect of the story.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it made abundantly clear that Bran will not be able to communicate through the weirwoods? Him talking translates to leaves rustling and wind blowing or something. With that being said, I am still confused why Theon hears someone say his name in the godswood. Bran also gets Ned's attention in the flashback-esque scene, but it wasn't in the way of comprehensible words.

Assuming this is true, how will Bran have any effect on the battle for Winterfell? Maybe he'll be able drop a branch on Ramsay.

He could effect the battle in numerous ways if he is able to reveal some weakness in Winterfell's defenses. In particular parts of the ruins in Winterfell where the castle was never rebuilt and Bran liked to explore/climb.

I think he will not be able to actually talk through the trees. First off it was clearly stated, second he tried and it didn't work. He cought Ned's attention because Ned probably knew what Asha told Bran : the old gods answer through the wind, period. I don't think Bran will become a Mary Sue, he will probably able to fight the Others somehow, but he will not be able to influence the characters on the other side of the wall. Or maybe he teams up with Mel and he gets some new power thanks to her.

No one said anything about him talking to Stannis, he reminded Theon of his name in Winterfell's godswoods without talking. He is insisting on them bringing Theon to the Isle, I assume it to reveal something to them. He certainly isn't doing it for the company.

No one said anything about him talking to Stannis, he reminded Theon of his name in Winterfell's godswoods without talking. He is insisting on them bringing Theon to the Isle, I assume it to reveal something to them. He certainly isn't doing it for the company.

This is what I was answering to:

But Bran obviously talked with Ned, there's some kind of time traveling loop going on here but it could be that Bran has ability to whisper into the past and be heard. Obviously not desirable and probably impossible for Bloodraven since he tried it unsuccessfully. But I could be wrong.

I like to think that Bran will learn to talk through the trees at some point and become the 'Voice' of the Old Gods. However, if that happens, I don't believe he'll help Stannis.

Stannis is a (false-)champion of Fire....don't we need a champion of Ice, to balance it out? Would make sense, yeah?

Ultimately, the true champion of Ice might be the Great Other, but I see the analogy of Fire and Ice as being valid on more than one level (as in the human and religious level, the supernatural level and the 'natural' level as in Winter/Summer or North/South etc.) thus allowing, for more than one 'champion'.

The fire and ice dichotomy is also the reason I strongly believe that if Jon survives or is resurrected, Melisandre will have little, if anything to do with it. We've already had Cat resurrected with the power of R'hllor. Actually, we've had Dany, surviving the fire through a freak accident, with the power of R'hllor. We have Victarion, championing R'hllor... isn't it time to see a bit of the old magic? the kind that holds the wall together? The kind, wildlings might know of?

I think it more likely for Bran to become Melisandre's counterpart, representing the Old Gods of the North and to chose a champion of his own to back up.

He might be known later as Brandon the 'Tree Talker' or the 'King Maker' or 'Thousand-eyed Bran' ... or he might lead an army of wolves. Brandon Thousand-Skins? :) remember Nymeria is still prowling out there with her pack, and Arya is conveniently absent. I think... Nymeria could find a new master in Bran.

And by the way... If Bran ever did leave his tree and met up with other wargs... wouldn't they hate him? consider him a freak for warging Hodor? Varamyr himself didn't seem a man with much honor, but even he thinks to himself that it's a crime to warg another human being.

agreeing with a few posts up there...we do indeed have hints that Bran might already be able to 'talk'. Well not talk as such, but he gets his point across, unless Theon was hallucinating.

'Talking' whole sentences would be too easy, though. But Bran being able to whisper a few words on occasion would be cool. Words carried through the wind that only a believer, someone who wants to listen might pay attention to. Something to give Stannis pause, make him reconsider, make him fear the power of the Old Gods, and something that might leave a lasting impression on both Northmen and Wildlings.

I also think Bran was actually heard by Eddard. How that works, I have no idea. But the trees are the Gods, or at least the way to the Gods, so, why not? could Bran be more gifted than Bloodraven himself?

Notice also, the dichotomy here? Bran, the blood of the first men (a Stark; rep. of ice), and Bloodraven, the blood of the Dragon (rep. of fire.)

Incorrect. Bran is told that he cannot speak to people in the PAST. Meaning he can't change history. But talking to people in the present is a different story. We see the weirwoods speak to Theon and to Arya at various times.

I think that in the present the greenseers can communicate through the trees, if someone is devoutly praying to the weirwoods.

Incorrect. Bran is told that he cannot speak to people in the PAST. Meaning he can't change history. But talking to people in the present is a different story. We see the weirwoods speak to Theon and to Arya at various times.

I think that in the present the greenseers can communicate through the trees, if someone is devoutly praying to the weirwoods.

I remember BR saying it is impossible to talk through trees. Didn't the greenseers of old use ravens to speak their messages? Maybe BR will teach Bran to communicate through ravens not the weirwoods ... Correct me if im wrong though.

Bran was already talking to Theon through the weir-wood tree at Winterfell in aDwD. Even though Bloodraven says its impossible to talk to those in the Past, it seems as if he almost is able to talk to his dad. Maybe he will be able to become more powerful than Bloodraven, and be able to reach into the Past... its crackpot I admit but also possible.

But I think Bran will definitely start using weirwood trees, ravens, wolves, and dreams to start talking to his sisters and Jon and Osha and Rickon. He is going to bring the family back together.

Melisandre sees the boy and his wolf in her fire visions and fears him. Why Bran would even know or care who she is i don't know? Why her god rhollor would be at odds with Bloodraven who knows? But I do know that Bran, just because he is a true son of the North, isn't going to let any foriegn witch do anything like burn down weir-wood trees in the name of her god. Maybe Melisandre will disrespect the old Northern customs and Old Gods, and this will lead her to... I don't know, get ripped apart by a pack of wolves maybe.

Bran was already talking to Theon through the weir-wood tree at Winterfell in aDwD. Even though Bloodraven says its impossible to talk to those in the Past, it seems as if he almost is able to talk to his dad. Maybe he will be able to become more powerful than Bloodraven, and be able to reach into the Past... its crackpot I admit but also possible.

But I think Bran will definitely start using weirwood trees, ravens, wolves, and dreams to start talking to his sisters and Jon and Osha and Rickon. He is going to bring the family back together.

Melisandre sees the boy and his wolf in her fire visions and fears him. Why Bran would even know or care who she is i don't know? Why her god rhollor would be at odds with Bloodraven who knows? But I do know that Bran, just because he is a true son of the North, isn't going to let any foriegn witch do anything like burn down weir-wood trees in the name of her god. Maybe Melisandre will disrespect the old Northern customs and Old Gods, and this will lead her to... I don't know, get ripped apart by a pack of wolves maybe.

Yes! I have been thinking that Bran will be the glue to bring the Starks back together for some times now. It is crackpot but i've envisioned him talking threw patchface, Sweet Robin, and something I can't bring into works bringing Arya back to Nymeria.

Archived