388 replies to this topic

#1 devotee

devotee

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

So, since the old thread bordered on 400 replies, I made this a bit early in order to not get this lost in a dead thread. Did any of you get to catch some of Awesome Days Done Quickly? Was a first time for me, but I really enjoyed it. Basically, a bunch of, well, nerds, have been gathered this last week to play through all kinds of games around the clock in order to raise money to the Prevent Cancer Foundation. Their initial goal was to raise 100 000 dollars, but it was quickly realized that that was a conservative goal, when the event officially closed, they had gathered over 420 000 dollars.

Here are the lists of what they have been playing, check it out, lots of good entertainment. I see Dark souls mentioned in the last thread, so maybe you can gather some inspiration from the 1 hour 45 minute run in part 2 here?

Part 1 Monday through Wednesdays games. My highlights here is the blindfolded Mike Tyson run, the Donkey Kong 64 glitchfest and the old Ninja Gaiden runs.
Part 2 Thursday through Sunday. VVVVVV was great, both Ocarina of time runs (20 min any% and the 100% run) and of course Siglemics Super Mario 64 runs are awesome. Oh, and Portal 2.

Live Bonus Stream Still going on with whoever is left while they wait for their planes or whatever.

Anyways, carry on!

#2 Werthead

Werthead

Social Justice Robot from the Future

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,087 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Completed The Walking Dead. Astonishingly powerful ending. I don't agree it's the best game of 2012 (the gameplay is way too restricted for that) but it's certainly the best story with the best characters and the best ending. I can't see how the second 'season' can satisfyingly follow on from it.

Made it 5 minutes and now I have a ragging headache from motion sickness. I have no idea WTF is with some modern shooters, but it's bad.

A lot of modern shooters have a restricted Field of View for some reasons never adequately explained. Most people don't notice, but on a sizable minority it causes motion sickness. On PC you can mod (or simply adjust in the settings) this back to somthing sane, but on consoles you are shit out of luck in most cases.

#3 The Anti-Targ

The Anti-Targ

Level 20 Social Justice Mage, with melee ability

• Members
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Completed The Walking Dead. Astonishingly powerful ending. I don't agree it's the best game of 2012 (the gameplay is way too restricted for that) but it's certainly the best story with the best characters and the best ending. I can't see how the second 'season' can satisfyingly follow on from it.

A lot of modern shooters have a restricted Field of View for some reasons never adequately explained. Most people don't notice, but on a sizable minority it causes motion sickness. On PC you can mod (or simply adjust in the settings) this back to somthing sane, but on consoles you are shit out of luck in most cases.

At least on consoles you are further from the screen, so it may have less of an effect.

But what do I know I basically avoid FPS.

Edited by The Anti-Targ, 14 January 2013 - 07:28 PM.

#4 Merentha

Merentha

Neocount

• Members
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

The answer is seemingly consoles. You don't need a wide fps when you're that far back from the screen.

#5 sdf227

sdf227

Sellsword

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Haven't played walking dead yet, it's some kind of visual novel yes?

#6 karaddin

karaddin

Mailed fist of feminist entitlement

• Members
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

I'm one of those ones that gets really sick from it. It takes between 10 and 45 minutes to start kicking in, if I try play a game that does it for longer than an hour it gives me a really bad migraine with full blown nausea. Really sucks, even with the FOV adjusted to 90 I don't seem able to replay HL2 anymore, I don't know if it's that theres more to it than that, or if it's just I tried playing it too many times and now associate that effect with it even when it's not being directly caused.

#7 haLobEnder

haLobEnder

Department of Apocalyptic Affairs

• Members
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

Haven't played walking dead yet, it's some kind of visual novel yes?

No, it's interactive, just not challenging in a way one expects a video game to be challenging. But it's not meant to be either.
It essentially takes the dialogue wheel from recent Bioware games and adds point-and-click adventure game mechanics and quick time events. That's the entire game.
As unappealing as that may sound to some, it's really, really good and needs to be experienced to fully appreciate.

While I agree that TWD: Season 2 is in the difficult position of trying to meet or exceed the bar set by the first game,
Spoiler

Edited by halO bendeR, 15 January 2013 - 12:32 AM.

#8 Ser Hippie

Ser Hippie

Hand to Oski the Bear

• Members
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

Life-altering decision time.

I'm planning on buying DIshonored. I could get it for PC (where I've done most of my gaming in my life) or for Xbox (which I'm still getting the hang of but probably intend to do most of my future gaming). Is one version better than the other?

#9 Sivin

Sivin

#Deep

• Members
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

Personally, I'd say buy it on Xbox. That way you can sell it back to gamestop when you get tired of the nasuating graphics, poor voice-acting, silly character designs, and headache-inducing movement system.

But that's just me.

#10 Inigima

Inigima

I want your skulls

• Members
  • 22,716 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

I would prefer to play Dishonored on PC for control reasons.

Edited by Inigima, 15 January 2013 - 08:16 AM.

#11 Sad King Billy

Sad King Billy

Nice Hat

• Members
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

I'd go with pc, I found the blinking far more enjoyable with the speed of a mouse than gamepad. Vinis, you did watch screenshots and videos before purchase, yes? Because it's not like the graphic style was a big secret. Personally I'm very fond of it, and it'll continue to look good in 5 years time, same with HL2, because of the more cartoony graphics.

#12 Sivin

Sivin

#Deep

• Members
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

Actually, I just wandered into a PX and bought it on a whim. I'd seen some trailers, and I saw that it was from a AAA studio and thought "maybe it'll be decent." I was very mistaken.

#13 Poobah

Poobah

Lord High Everything Else

• Members
  • 2,300 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

Fucking finally - ARMA Devs Released
(Via RPS)

Edited by Poobah, 15 January 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#14 Alcibiades

Alcibiades

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

I'm playing Dishonored now too. I went into it thinking that the lack of a great story and interesting characters wouldn't be a big deal. Not every game needs a good story. I was signing up for gameplay and the visuals. I've enjoyed both of those, but the lack of story has bothered me more than I thought it would. I think it's because the world looks so great, and they do a good job of fleshing it out with all the bits you can find to read. It's like all the supporting structures are there for a really nice narrative, so it's absence is glaring. The only good characterization bits are when you eavesdrop on some of the bad guys.

Hopefully they'll nail that part on the sequel. Was very happy to hear that it would likely get one. I'd also like to see Dunwall without a plague infestation.

#15 Werthead

Werthead

• Forum Moderators
  • 23,087 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

I'm planning on buying DIshonored. I could get it for PC (where I've done most of my gaming in my life) or for Xbox (which I'm still getting the hang of but probably intend to do most of my future gaming). Is one version better than the other?

PC. Better controls and far better graphics.

Also, the story and characters in Dishonored are fine. They're probably not quite as well thought-out as the atmospheric setting and the gameplay, but they're pretty decent. Reminded me a bit of Perdido Street Station in that respect (awesome worldbuilding and atmosphere, surprisingly mundane narrative), which isn't exactly a bad thing.

Edited by Werthead, 15 January 2013 - 01:34 PM.

#16 Alcibiades

Alcibiades

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

Oh, yeah, play it on PC. If you want to become a full time console gamer, it seems like next-gen would be the time to pull the trigger on that? I wouldn't do it now, when the consoles are so incredibly outdated. Especially if you've already got a decently specced PC. Hopefully the next console cycle won't drag out so long.

#17 Werthead

Werthead

• Forum Moderators
  • 23,087 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

If you want to become a full time console gamer, it seems like next-gen would be the time to pull the trigger on that

If the rumoured specs for the next consoles are even halfway right, not even then. Microsoft and especially Sony seem to be going extremely conservative for the next gen, presumably because they now want to actually make some money from the consoles. Current PCs outstrip those specs by quite a margin and by the time the consoles come out, the difference will be even more notable.

#18 Werthead

Werthead

• Forum Moderators
  • 23,087 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

BioShock: Infinite system specs, accompanied by a hilarious Irrational blog post in which they basically seem to be saying, "The PC version will be awesomest." Also, they note that the FOV will be fully adjustable /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

#19 Francis Buck

Francis Buck

pleistocene vampire

• Members
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

Okay, I was finally able to get back into my account here, I've been wanting to post for so long...

I've had the PS3 for like two weeks now, and out of the games I got (Uncharted 2 & 3, God of War 3, and Killzone 3), I like the UC games the most by a long shot. It might just be because I've played a lot of FPS and hack'n'slash games before, whereas I've never really played anything quite like UC, but nonetheless I was surprised by how much I enjoyed them. UC2 is definitely a little bit better than the third one, but they're still both really fun. Even though they're incredibly linear, the presentation is so good that I enjoy it, and the combat feels super smooth and responsive. They're also probably some of best written games I've ever played, at least in the areas of characterization and dialogue (and voice acting). The plots themselves are fairly generic, and even the characters are pretty generic, but the voice acting and dialogue is so good that it doesn't matter. I'm now like fifty times more excited for The Last Of Us than I was before. After playing the UC, I can totally believe that the demo Naughty Dog showed for TLOU is legit.

I was most disappointed by Killzone 3. It's just not that fun to play for me. The graphics are great, of course, and I actually like the cover system and the ironsights/scope being on right thumbstick, but I honestly just don't find myself having any urge to complete the game. I don't think I'm even half-way through. I'll probably end up trading this in fairly soon.

God Of War 3 is definitely good fun though. It's not particularly original, gameplay-wise, but it's very solid and the set-pieces are pretty amazing. It easily has the most insane opening to any game I've ever played -- crazier than the majority of most games' final levels. All that being said, I can't see myself replaying it once I'm done, so I'll probably trade it in with Killzone 3. Only question is, what game to get next? I'm between either Infamous 2 or Demon's/Dark Souls (what's the difference between the latter two? which one's better to start with?), or just waiting until Bioshock Infinite comes out.

Also, for anyone that has PlayStaion+, is it worth it? I've heard you can get free games and stuff, and I'd also really like to play UC3's multiplayer, which unfortunately requires it (I didn't know that any PS3 games required payment...hell, I didn't even know PS+ existed until I tried to play UC3 online).

#20 Ser Hippie

Ser Hippie

Hand to Oski the Bear

• Members
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Appreciate the advice all, sounds like I'll be getting the PC version once I finish Empire: Total War (years late, I know)

Reply to this topic