The others, theories about their origin

65536ob

How do you think the others came to exist?

My theory is that they are children of the forest who disagreed with the pact and wanted westeros for themselves again so they turned to a different kind of magic which turned them into the others and they knew of the changes it would do to them

I don't believe it but I had the idea that they're wargs that succeeded where Varamyr failed. That they move on to another body as their current one gives out to sustain their consciousness eternally. That's why they take Craster's male babies, as presumably like the feeble minded the young undeveloped mind is easier to take control of and they don't end up being rejected as with the Varamyr situation.

I don't believe it but I had the idea that they're wargs that succeeded where Varamyr failed. That they move on to another body as their current one gives out to sustain their consciousness eternally. That's why they take Craster's male babies, as presumably like the feeble minded the young undeveloped mind is easier to take control of and they don't end up being rejected as with the Varamyr situation.

This sounds very plausible.

They were Children of the forest who decided to use Blood magic to become something else. Another sect of COTF went against them and sided with humainity. They had the great war and the friendly COTF helped the first men build the wall to end the war.

Never thought of this. Seems like a godd explenation and it would be interesting if it turns out to be true

Cool thought. The way they control the dead definitely suggests they have some warg like abilities.

Yeah it doesn't explain much, like why their body seems to resemble crystal armour or why they're concentrated in the North. But I suppose being wargs/necromancers/sorcerers they may have been hunted and fled far North, the books tell of warging not being socially acceptable. Either way they appear to want male babies and as babies wouldn't make good wights I think the babies must propagate their race or extend their lives.

Yeah it doesn't explain much, like why their body seems to resemble crystal armour or why they're concentrated in the North. But I suppose being wargs/necromancers/sorcerers they may have been hunted and fled far North, the books tell of warging not being socially acceptable. Either way they appear to want male babies and as babies wouldn't make good wights I think the babies must propagate their race or extend their lives.

But what use is a baby's body to them? They aint' gonna be slaying no Rangers if they inhabit one

But what use is a baby's body to them? They aint' gonna be slaying no Rangers if they inhabit one

I'm assuming they age, that it's cyclical, they're taking the babies out of necessity to keep them going rather than convenience. Regardless if Craster's sons do become Others as Craster's wives seem to think then at some point they've got to undergo an "othering" changing process.

Archived