The Americans

Fragile Bird

Much like the pilot, I thought this was a solid episode, but it still feels like something is missing. Excellent concept and cast, plenty of potential, but it hasn't really delivered a knock out punch. There appears to be a lack of tension as of yet, I wasn't completely invested in the poisoning scheme.

Much like the pilot, I thought this was a solid episode, but it still feels like something is missing. Excellent concept and cast, plenty of potential, but it hasn't really delivered a knock out punch. There appears to be a lack of tension as of yet, I wasn't completely invested in the poisoning scheme.

Yeah, I don't think I ever felt like the mission they were doing was as impossible as they made it out to be. Dicey, sure, but they succeeded with only a small amount of difficulty.

I don't understand why they would trust that the woman and her son won't go to the authorities.

I don't think threats would be all that effective after the antidote is given. Seems like killing them and the brother would be the only way to be sure.

I really expected the mom and son to be killed in an "accident." The writers are walking a fine line here, trying to show how ruthless the spies are, yet still wanting them to be likeable, and offing the pair would make Phillip kinda irredeemable.

I'm not sure you can have it both ways. Still, an interesting episode. Didn't quite measure up to the first, IMO, but that's okay.

I'm fine that they didn't kill the mom and son. I see so many movie/television villains who make deals with people, who threaten people, (e.g. "Do this if you want to live") then end up shooting the people anyway. I am beginning to wonder how mobs and "bad guys" keep any contacts because they seem to be killing all their contractors.

So, seeing them not kill someone (and keeping a promise), wasn't a big deal. All of that said, I imagine this could prove bad later for them both and come back to bite them in the butt.

I liked the 2nd episode. It's coming along nicely, imho.

I thought it was a good episode - Russell did a better job showing some emotion, IMO; the scene with her daughter was really good. She communicated that she was worried she'd be killed or outed and didn't want to miss any "moments" with her.

However, on the negative side I don't think they sold the tension and danger of the maid giving them away to the FBI or SecDef.

Was anyone else dissapointed by the information that they were after? Vague information about the intention to build a missile shield does not seem like the type of information you would need such a risky operation to get...

Was anyone else dissapointed by the information that they were after? Vague information about the intention to build a missile shield does not seem like the type of information you would need such a risky operation to get...

It would be a big deal for the then- Soviet government to know for sure whether or not the US was building a missile shield. I've read several accounts of US and Soviet diplomacy during the 1980s (including Bob Gates' memoirs) and the Soviet's fear of an effective US missile shield completely blunting their nuclear arsenal was a constant - they were constantly trying to press Reagan to do an agreement where they would both refrain from stepping out of the ABM Treaty and building one (the Soviets already had one around Moscow - allowed under the treaty- but the US had declined to build one).

I'm fine that they didn't kill the mom and son. I see so many movie/television villains who make deals with people, who threaten people, (e.g. "Do this if you want to live") then end up shooting the people anyway. I am beginning to wonder how mobs and "bad guys" keep any contacts because they seem to be killing all their contractors.

The problem is that murdering them might have triggered an investigation, and any sort of investigation would be bad news for their cover. Plus, they might need her again in the future.

I was under the impression that the Soviets didn't really have a specific piece of information in mind. They just knew they might learn *something* when the British guy visited. In any case, I think it might have been kind of an interesting angle to show how much danger the spies are forced into for what amounts to totally meaningless information. I suspect that happened a lot in those days.

Btw, while this is clearly a work of pure fiction plot and character wise, is there any evidence (beyond the Anna Chapman thing a few years back, in 2011) that the Soviets actually had these kinds of cells in the US?

Btw, while this is clearly a work of pure fiction plot and character wise, is there any evidence (beyond the Anna Chapman thing a few years back, in 2011) that the Soviets actually had these kinds of cells in the US?

I believe a group of like 10 people being arrested, after the "cold war" was over, in and of itself, is proof.

I liked, but did not love this ep. That being said, I think it will take at least a half of a season ( or more) for this to truely find its way. Once it sets up its history's, friends, enemies, and the rest of its world, this should be a great show.

It would be a big deal for them then- Soviet government to know for sure whether or not the US was building a missile shield. I've read several accounts of US and Soviet diplomacy during the 1980s (including Bob Gates' memoirs) and the Soviet's fear of an effective US missile shield completely blunting their nuclear arsenal was a constant - they were constantly trying to press Reagan to do an agreement where they would both refrain from stepping out of the ABM Treaty and building one (the Soviets already had one around Moscow - allowed under the treaty- but the US had declined to build one).

I can't recall where I read it, but I do remember reading somewhere that the "Star Wars" project made the Soviets practically shit their pants. Seems somewhat silly now (and even then, AFAIR) because it was totally impractical to implement, but governments were and remain pretty paranoid on both sides.

I can't recall where I read it, but I do remember reading somewhere that the "Star Wars" project made the Soviets practically shit their pants. Seems somewhat silly now (and even then, AFAIR) because it was totally impractical to implement, but governments were and remain pretty paranoid on both sides.

Read that more then once, but since either we couldn't do it, or couldn't afford to do, at least the rumor of it help bankrupt the USSR.

Yes i did enjoy the episode....but it definately seemed a very hap hazard plan for two operatives you had invested so much in

Didn't there look to be a change in the power structure that was directing the operatives, though? It's not unheard of to have new bosses come in and screw things up for the underlings.

I suppose that is possible...but if that was meant to be a part of the plot....the story was never drawn in that way.

Archived