A King in Hiding: Adding It All Up

He guessed Jon as being younger than he was back in GOT , not that that counts for much for itself. What is more important is that Jon C was presented a young child that he knew the 'correct' age for to within a month. It doesn't prove Aegon is real but even Jon, desperate for any link to Rhaegar, would have probably rejected a chid that looked 3 or 4 when Aegon was supposed to be 6. Varys and Illyrio wouldn't be dumb enough to use an imposter that wasn't born roughly at the same time as Aegon.

He guessed Jon as being younger than he was back in GOT , not that that counts for much for itself. What is more important is that Jon C was presented a young child that he knew the 'correct' age for to within a month. It doesn't prove Aegon is real but even Jon, desperate for any link to Rhaegar, would have probably rejected a chid that looked 3 or 4 when Aegon was supposed to be 6. Varys and Illyrio wouldnt be dumb enough to use an imposter that wasnt roughly at the same time as Aegon.

Then maybe Illyrio's child with Serra was born around the same time then.

Do we have any indication Connington is any good at estimating children's ages either? Now two or three years of difference would bee too much to fool him, I agree - but one year? Not so sure.

Do we know when Jon was given (F)Aegon to look after? Was it some time after the Sack of KL?

Probably sometime after the sack of KL, once Varys has spirited (F) Aegon away from KL. Jon C would've been in Essos around that time already.

So Jon Con would have been given a baby? If that's the case then would he have noticed if Aegon was really (F)Aegon if there was a couple of months between Aegon and Illyrio's baby ages?

So Jon Con would have been given a baby? If that's the case then would he have noticed if Aegon was really (F)Aegon if there was a couple of months between Aegon and Illyrio's baby ages?

By the term 'sometime' I meant like a few weeks or maybe a month after the sack of KL when it would have been safe for Varys to slip away and deliver a baby to Jon Con.

Jon was with the Golden Company for 5 years before getting Aegon. We readers don't know if that is exactly 5 years or 5-and-a-half or closer to 6, and we don't know precisely when Elia gave birth, but Jon does know all that. I'd say the real Aegon was born around 6 years before Jon got his child but there is definitely a window of many months around that.

Then maybe Illyrio's child with Serra was born around the same time then.

Which is one of the reasons I don't like the Blackfyre theory. What a lucky coincidence they have a child of just the right age, sex and looks to be a fake Aegon.

It works better for me if Varys decided an dead infant whose body was unidentifiable was a perfect opportunity for an imposter and Illyrio went about procuring one that suited the bill. If Littlefinger had been older and started his scheming a decade earlier I'd expect him to have a fake Aegon too - it is almost too good an chance to pass up.

Do we have any indication Connington is any good at estimating children's ages either? Now two or three years of difference would bee too much to fool him, I agree - but one year? Not so sure.

A year at the very outside but it would be risky I think, unless they were in total isolation from every peasant village there was too much chance for Jon to notice Aegons difference to other children supposedly of the same age, or for too many women to comment on it. I don't have any reason to think that Jon would be particularly good at guessing children's ages but I think the general standard for adults knowing kids ages would be better than it is in modern day. In war camps or with the GC Jon wouldn't be around young children but in castles there must be many around, and the adults living with them would know their ages. Without schools there is less segregation of children in adults; I don't see children at work or home and the children I do see on the street I do not learn the ages of, Jon would have known the children at Griffins Roost or the Red Keep when he lived there.

@nothatso

I know he also has the historical counterpart of Perkin Warbeck. Aegon has facets of both Perkin Warbeck and Henry VII.

Jon is 16 during ADwD.

Oh, FrozenFire found another one!

That's a good one.

After Jon kills the wight with fire:

Whatever demonic force moved Othor had been driven out by the flames; the twisted thing they had found in the ashes had been no more than cooked meat and charred bone.

Dany's Undying Chapter:

“Let him be king over charred bones and cooked meat,” he said to a man below him. “Let him be the king of ashes.

Could Jon be a king while defeating the Others/wights? Or king of defeated wights? I don't like that second one. :unsure:

Ok I have one, I may be streching it too much, and it may be very crackpot-ish and a little bit irrelevant, but here I go:

Mance is the King Beyond the Wall, and he has a black and red cloak. Assuming Jon is a Targ, those would be his colors, too. Might this mean something?

Oh, and when Jaime came to Winterfell, Jon observed that Jaime looks like a king and that's how a king should look like. When in fact Jaime is the kingslayer, and Jon "should be king".

Also, I don't know if someone already pointed this out, but did you notice that Jaime was wearing black and red (Targaryen colors) when Jon thought he looks like a King?

Ser Jaime Lannister was twin to Queen Cersei; tall and golden, with flashing green eyes and a smile that cut like a knife. He wore crimson silk, high black boots, a black satin cloak. On the breast of his tunic, the lion of his House was embroidered in gold thread, roaring its defiance. They called him the Lion of Lannister to his face and whispered "Kingslayer" behind his back.

Jon found it hard to look away from him. This is what a king should look like, he thought to himself as the man passed.

Ok I have one, I may be streching it too much, and it may be very crackpot-ish and a little bit irrelevant, but here I go:

Mance is the King Beyond the Wall, and he has a black and red cloak. Assuming Jon is a Targ, those would be his colors, too. Might this mean something?

Also, I don't know if someone already pointed this out, but did you notice that Jaime was wearing black and red (Targaryen colors) when Jon thought he looks like a King?

Someone pointed it out very recently, I hadn't noticed the colors before that. It's a great catch.

Archived