What are you dreading most about the conclusion?

Drezelle

I would really hate a completely happy ending. Happy endings for everyone is such a copout. It's like the literary equivalent of saying that everyone's beautiful in their own way. I would prefer that either Jon or Dany lives, but not both.

Judging by the fact that the original planned title for the final novel was A Time for Wolves, I'm pretty sure that the Starks will rise again. But I'm doubtful that all of them will live happily ever after(I'm looking at you, Bran and Arya).

What am I dreading?

- Cersei not taking down the HS and the Faith

-Any more dead Starks

- No future happiness for Sansa

- A future where Sansa or Arya are not in charge of their own destiny

- Tyrion getting away with his raping and murdering, ending up with CR and everything he ever wanted.

- The IT still in existence.

- Jaime dying

Yep--pretty much all of this. I'm also dreading the possibility of the Starks and Tullys not reclaiming their houses.

This very much. I really hope the tv show doesn't catch up to him and makes him rush.

Or the fact that the last season comes out before the last book

ok lets see...

Book 3 is being broken into 2 seasons so lets say they do that for each book so thats 6 years for the books that are out (well 5 since season 3 is starting soon) If the next book isn't out by then I might pitch a fit... but it should be out within 6 years then giving him 8 years total for the last book? Has he ever taken longer than 6-8 years to put out a book? They might rush the show due to the children growing too fast lol,

I agree that the Targs should be past history, the stuff of legends and songs in time. I don't want to see Dany or Aegon if he is truly him, on the throne. The Targs should be done and it should be a time for something/someone new and change in Westeros. The only half Targ I could deal with is Jon whom I like. Not the same as having Aegon and Dany.

The Starks were all beyond devestated. Personally, physically, and emotionally tossed around and uprooted on many levels. I can't enumerate everything that happened to them, all the deaths they experiened especially Ned and Cat, (Uncat is living but is that a life?) and the personal stories of how bad it was for Sansa, Arya, Rickon, Bran, and Jon.

I don't see any upswing in their livelihood being a happy, sappy ending. They will live with a lot of baggage and loss. They just all need a place in the world, security, loved ones, something. Oh, some evening the score with Freys and Lannisters will happen too, of course. But it will never be life as they knew it before. In fairytales, usually life is better than when you started out. Cinderella, for example, and that is not going to happen to them. Things will get better but never be as good as when they were younger.

ok lets see...

Book 3 is being broken into 2 seasons so lets say they do that for each book so thats 6 years for the books that are out (well 5 since season 3 is starting soon) If the next book isn't out by then I might pitch a fit... but it should be out within 6 years then giving him 8 years total for the last book? Has he ever taken longer than 6-8 years to put out a book? They might rush the show due to the children growing too fast lol,

Well, if I recall correctly Martin took 5 years for AFFC and 6 years for ADwD. But I'm 100% sure he's figured it out with the TV guys they obviously discussed this. Martin even told them the ending in case something were to happen to him.

-Tyrion ending up Lord of Casterly Rock, and Hand of the King, happily married to Sansa, who will in explicabley be devoted to him and despite his wanting to find Tysha, forgetting about her now that he "has the girl".

- The Freys not being annihilated.

- The Tyrells not getting some sort of comeuppance.

-LF getting away with everything he's done

- The Ironborm still existing

- Arya remaining with the FM.

- None of the Starks meeting up again.

My list of the things i most dread:

The Lannister power being broken, their house terminated and every single Lannister vanishing from the face of Westeros.

Stannis not being the King in the end.

Jon being a little Targaryen-Stark bastard princeling spawn.

Edmure not recover the overlordship over the Riverlands.

Davos suffering an heroic but tragic death.

Arya fully became a rabid ninja-sorcerer-assassin for hire.

The death of Tommen, Myrcella and Jaime.

Sansa or Rickon doesn`t siting in the chair of Lady/Lord of Winterfell.

Tyrion being alive in the end.

I read that about 175-200 pages for TWOW are completed. If GRRM continues at this pace, we might have the book released in mid to late 2015. That gives him about 2-3 years to finish the final book. Yeah, I think the show will overlap the books. That's of course, assuming that the show will still be running in 2018.

Im dreading the series end on book 7. I have high hopes based on economic intuition (ASOIAF is a money maker) that the series will go on...

at least one more book, an eight one.

I got this from the wiki: "Martin is firm about ending the series with the seventh novel "until I decide not to be firm",[15] leaving open the possibility of an eighth book to finish the series.[36] With his stated goal to tell the story from beginning to end, he will not truncate the story to fit into an arbitrary number of volumes.[30] Martin is confident he will publish at least The Winds of Winter before the TV series overtakes him,[19] although he has told major plot points to the two main Game of Thrones producers in case he should die.["

I dread the Starks not reuniting and not getting any vengeance for the crimes against their family themselves.

That was the thing the irritated me about how Joffrey died. After ordering Ned's execution and all of Sansa's beatings and her telling him her brother might giver her his head, a Stark didn't get to kill him, and I thought they deserved their revenge against him. Arya was able to kill some of her tormentors and Jon got Slynt, and I was happy with that.

I Stark vengeance I definitely want to see is Sansa getting her revenge against Cersei for her part in the downfall of House Stark, and at least one Stark taking out Littlefinger since their parents died mainly because of him. Sansa is probably in the best position to kill Littlefinger, and I hope she learns the truth and doesn't turn out to be a manipulative game of thrones player.

Well, my general sense of things building in the long run to Targaryen Restoration has somewhat carried with it the implication that not only was Robert wrong about Rhaegar, but that the rebellion was a mistake in general that needs "correcting", and thus Ned and the Starks sit on the "Wrong Side Of History" so to speak. Which, after being introduced to them first and being set up to identify with, care about, and root for them, is kinda frustrating (though VERY interesting storytelling, of course, which is why I'm still reading and devour each new sample chapter with such gusto :D).

If The Ned is wrong I'm not particularly interested in being right. :D

So hopefully whatever the Starks get as compensation for being on the wrong side of history and/or getting kicked in the teeth and stabbed in the back over most of the course of this series, their big rally or being the key to stopping the Others and saving everybody's bacon, is something big to properly make up for it all.

I worry that I won't find the bone thrown House Stark's way to be big enough.

I got this from the wiki: "Martin is firm about ending the series with the seventh novel "until I decide not to be firm",[15] leaving open the possibility of an eighth book to finish the series.[36] With his stated goal to tell the story from beginning to end, he will not truncate the story to fit into an arbitrary number of volumes.[30] Martin is confident he will publish at least The Winds of Winter before the TV series overtakes him,[19] although he has told major plot points to the two main Game of Thrones producers in case he should die.["

Man...no! I hope that doesn't happen. We don't need another Robert Jordan unfinished book some unknown relative or distant cousin finish if not a ghost writer....

Specifically,

I don't want Bran to be alone and be this Bloodraven-isolated-powerful-tree-being thingie. I hope he can hone his powers so they are useful, maybe even with connecting with people so the Starks can reunite, and one day all be on the same page in the story and not so far from each other. He may never be a knight but I don't want him to go the lonely guru road or whatever.

I just want a lot for Arya because she is my favorite. I don't want her to go to much further into the FM. I will cheer when hopefully she goes, "The hell with this, I learned more from Syrio...I am going to Westeros." I will be disappointed if I don't get a scene where she quietly goes to the place, retrieves Needle, dusts off the dirt, puts it in a scabbard and once again becomes Arya Stark. Maybe not the same girl as before with new knowledge and experience as before, but still Arya.

And I want Sansa to get her dream but just not in the package she expected as a girl that was from the songs and not realistic. Home, family, husband, and children. And it would be a bonus if she does become more savy and does learn to be a player. It is okay if she does it to save herself or others and helps her family. It would be silly if she doesn't learn a thing or two from being around the best in the Game. She did spend enough time around people like Varys, Cersei before the Crazy came upon her, and Littlefinger.

But he felt very lonely and isolated at times after his fall, so if he doesn't wish it and won't be happy I don't want it for him.

If he wants to become Lord Bran or marry Meera and be crannog-in-law or a maestar or whatever else that is fine with me. LOL!

Yep--pretty much all of this. I'm also dreading the possibility of the Starks and Tullys not reclaiming their houses.

Me too. I think the Starks will get WF back, I think the Tullys are a bigger possibility and I really want Edmure back at Riverrun.

ok lets see...

Well, if I recall correctly Martin took 5 years for AFFC and 6 years for ADwD. But I'm 100% sure he's figured it out with the TV guys they obviously discussed this. Martin even told them the ending in case something were to happen to him.

Now what I'm dreading most...the TV show overtaking the books.

Shittiest. Ending. Ever

I do think Tyrion will get Casterly Rock at the end of the series, but by then, he'll probably be too bitter, broken and lonely to enjoy it at all.

If he's dying of greyscale, this might be an acceptable alternative.

Archived