NFL 2012 Superbowl Prelude: Gods Must Be Strong

Sivin

ETA: Jaime L - I swear that you did not take a shot at Wyatt Sexton up there, right? Because if you did, you'd have messed with my world in a way that I know you never would.

Wow. I completely forgot about this story. I remember when it happened. I was a huge FSU fan at the time (still am but don't care as much about CFB anymore).

Now that a couple of days have gone by, the impression that remains with me about the 49ers win is that Kaepernick has a lot of character and fortitude. Coming back from 17 - 0 took cojones. to say the least.

Although, to be fair, they were playing the Falcons. They had already blown a 20 point halftime lead in the game before, so the Niners knew that if they could just get on the board in the first half, that the second half will probably work itself out. And it did. Even with a 14-24 deficit at halftime, I felt like the game was going acceptably well for SF.

http://espn.go.com/b...wed-nfl-sources

So, the NFL is reviewing Brady's slide where he seems to kick Ed Reed during the slide.

So here is my uneducated and biased take: if you are going to review Suh for his "kick" then you have to at least review Brady for his. If kicking is bad for one set of players then its bad for all players (when they kick another player and not, say, the ball). I think this is only reasonable and rational. And again- the irony is not lost on me that the Ravens- off all teams -are asking that the refs take a closer look at a play; its sort of like the guy in prison for a triple homicide looking out his jail window saying "Hey! That guy is J-Walking!"

But then you have to see if the guy was actually J-Walking. I don't think Brady was J-Walking. Here is what I think happened. I think Brady kicked out like that to protect himself from an on-rushing Ed Reed. That doesn't make it 100% Kosher, but it certainly looked to me like he was trying to fend off Ed Reed (the dirtiest clean player in the game). I don't think he stuck his leg out there to hurt Reed, but to keep Reed off him. The league could go either way, but regardless they should look at it.

And then explain to me why if a DB is tackling a RB and he grabs the RB's face-mask its a 15 yard penalty, but if the same RB grabs the DB's face-mask to fend that DB off, its a "good run."

Regardless of whether Brady was kicking reed to keep him off of him or because he wanted to ninja kick someone it's still a penalty and a fine for kicking someone.

I don't remember but did they fine Suh? If they did, then Brady should be fined. If not, then he shouldn't. I'm more likely to buy Rockoi's theory than it was a malicious act but I will say it looks a bit dodgy when you see him kick out a second time, similar to Suh. Still, I don't see Brady coordinated enough to actually try to hurt Reed in the split second. I mean, the guy was tackled by a ref who was trying to get out of his way.

Rockroi,

I don't really know if the intention of the kick should be taken in to consideration. I agree with your assessment that Brady was kicking out as a defensive gesture, but whether he was doing it for self preservation, or for anger, the rule is in place to assure people don't get hurt. Brady should probably be fined the same amount that Suh was this year. I don't think either case warranted a suspension.

And then explain to me why if a DB is tackling a RB and he grabs the RB's face-mask its a 15 yard penalty, but if the same RB grabs the DB's face-mask to fend that DB off, its a "good run."

For the same reason that you can't tackle a receiver after he catches the ball, but you can thrash a RB upside of the head on a running play... The NFL doesn't really care about safety. They care that they are perceived to care about safety.

A group of crows is a murder, what's a group of ravens?

An unkindness.

I don't remember but did they fine Suh? If they did, then Brady should be fined. If not, then he shouldn't. I'm more likely to buy Rockoi's theory than it was a malicious act but I will say it looks a bit dodgy when you see him kick out a second time, similar to Suh. Still, I don't see Brady coordinated enough to actually try to hurt Reed in the split second. I mean, the guy was tackled by a ref who was trying to get out of his way.

Suh was fined but not suspended for the kick. I agree that Brady should be fined. Whether he was just trying to protect himself or if there is real intent to injure isn't really all that relevant to me, because there is no way to know that. All we have is what is on tape, and kicking your leg out like that is reckless and dangerous, and should be punished.

Rock, if it makes you feel any better, while watching it in real time I thought Brady could be potentially uncoordinated enough to slide like that. It's like the Manning corollary, that level of gawkiness makes anything possible. Eli didn't just elbow you in the face, he was just flailing out while tripping over his own feet.

Anyway, if I was Brady, I would pursue the Manti T'eo defense. Where you have to inuslt yourself to get acquitted. Here's the thing, America. I am that gullible...

Is Tim Brown just angry, or did Bill Callahan throw the Super Bowl?

"We all called it sabotage . . . because Callahan and Gruden were good friends," Brown said. "And Callahan had a big problem with the Raiders, you know, hated the Raiders. You know, only came [to Oakland] because Gruden made him come.

"It's hard to say the guy sabotaged the Super Bowl. You know, can you really say that? That can be my opinion, but I can't say for a fact that that's what his plan was, to sabotage the Super Bowl. He hated the Raiders so much that he would sabotage the Super Bowl so his friend can win the Super Bowl. That's hard to say, because you can't prove it.

"But the facts are what they are, that less than 36 hours before the game we changed our game plan. And we go into that game absolutely knowing that we have no shot.

Accusing a coach of actively sabotaging his team on the Friday before the Super Bowl is....pretty crazy. The idea that Callahan was willing to lose the Super Bowl just because he liked Jon Gruden and was unhappy with the Raiders organization is hard to believe. Callahan would be throwing away millions of dollars for himself, not to mention job security, accolades, etc. And if he hated the Raiders so much, why did he coach them to the Super Bowl in the first place? Why coach them at all?

I heard on the radio this morning they were interviewing one of the Raiders running backs from that game, and he said that Callahan changed the game plan because All-Pro Center Barret Robbins disappeared during the week [he was later diagnosed with bipolar disorder], and without him Callahan didn't think that they had enough of a matchup advantage to attempt a run-heavy attack against the Bucs. So he went back to something he could institute quickly, which was basically the short-pass timing attack they had run all year, and was exactly what the Bucs had been game planning for. This explanation makes a lot more sense, but that doesn't mean it's true.

Anyone have any thoughts? Are we allowed to talk about Super Bowls other than the current one? Does Tim Brown have a history of this kind of crazy-talk?

Tim Brown was also in the news recently shitting all over the Marc Trestman hire saying he didn't think he was going to be successful because when they brought Jerry Rice in, they made him the primary weapon, and ignored Tim Brown and all his 1,000 yard seasons.

I don't know if it's because of the Hall of Fame voting year after year but Tim Brown right now seems like an incredibly bitter man and he seems to be lashing out at everyone whom he thinks wronged him. When I saw that quote about "sabotage" I felt like that reflected more on Tim Brown than Bill Calahan.

Archived