Banshee

Fragile Bird

Yeah definitely would not subscribe to this show just for this. But it does look like it has possibilities.

Some thoughts:

1. It's irritating to me when people go shooting in the middle of big city streets without police showing up or any kind of law enforcement follow-up or threat. The opening shootout in Manhattan was straight up 'Michael Bay's car chase scene from the Rock' ridiculous.

2. I also didn't like Hood's intro with the cross dresser. He threatens and destroys that guy's equipment for blatant tension creation. Then turns around and asks him for a really big favor for which the cross dresser goes out of his way to comply like they're best buddies. Then cross dresser covers for Hood by blowing his place and all of his files, gets away and still goes through with the identity change request. For $10,000 (5,000 if you subtract the equipment)? Nothing about that character or his motives made sense.

4. Didn't like the violence in the fight scene in the bar with the hole shot in the hand.

5. How convenient for the ex-cons to become best friends because... well, I'm still not sure why except that they're both "cool."

6. Ooooohh.. brilliant criminal mastermind can play 2 chess games at once. But when it comes to finding Hood, all he's got for strategy is intimidation. "You will find him." Of course he will!! You're a brilliant chess strategist! That's the best move you can make!

ETA: Also, if Rabbit is so powerful, how did Hood avoid him for 15 years in jail?

ETA: nm, figured it out..

Is anybody on the board still watching this? I gave it a shot since I thought the original idea sounded cool and because the series came with Alan Balls name attached to it, but after four episodes I'm close to dropping it.

It has it's moments, but the fight scenes are cilched (hero gets kicked brutally kicked around and then suddenly gets the upper hand just as all seems lost) and the villains seem like they belong in a James Bond movie

Killing an incompetent underling with dangerous pet? Really???

Also, there is way too much plot conveniece. I mean, why

is our hero not already a minor celebrity in MMA circles after the fight at the end of episode three was published on the net? And why is the guy he beat up not in the process of suing the town (even if he has to do it from jail)? And why has someone not made the connection and spilled the beans to Rabbit already?

The fact that these things are so over the top makes it hard for me to take the plot lines about having secrets from the one you love and Hood trying to get to know his biological daughter seriously, even though those could potentially be interesting.

I might give it a few more episodes, but I'm feeling that HBO are wasting a potentially good concept with this one.

I thought that last episode was fairly entertaining. I also like how everyone seems to be getting naked in every episode :drool:

I really feel like this is a B-movie style series (which makes a lot of sense considering this is Cinemax)... but it's one of those B-movies that you like to watch. I'll keep sticking with it.

Sex and violence. Always a good combination.
I thought that last episode was fairly entertaining. I also like how everyone seems to be getting naked in every episode :drool:

You guys are really selling this show. For those who like sex-scenes, that is.

• 1 month later...

The fact that these things are so over the top makes it hard for me to take the plot lines about having secrets from the one you love and Hood trying to get to know his biological daughter seriously, even though those could potentially be interesting.

The premise is completely ridiculous, but for some reason all these over the top characters almost seem realistic to me at this point, if that makes sense.

I thought the last few episodes were pretty good. I am actually quite curious about where they go from here after the end of that last episode...

Me too. And what explanation they're going to come up with to explain what happened to her. Perhaps that some murderer came to kill him and found her instead? And how did learn to fight back like that? The FBI guy has got to come in play here...

Yeah, show's not too bad. Not better than the Walking Dead or Justified but for dramas currently airing, probably right after them (not that I've watched too much TV lately).

Me too. And what explanation they're going to come up with to explain what happened to her. Perhaps that some murderer came to kill him and found her instead? And how did learn to fight back like that? The FBI guy has got to come in play here...

Maybe the biker guys came back for vengeance? Hood did dispose of them secretly. Highly doubt that's what's actually going to happen plotwise but it fits (though with suspicion).

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just watched all of the first season and I enjoyed it a lot. It's fun, movie-style action every week. The characters aren't really that deep but are entertaining. They have some great cartoon-like villains from Rabbit and Kai Proctor to the sinister guy who barely speaks and wears glasses and a bow tie. It hits all the notes that Sons of Anarchy now fails to hit and if I were to label it I'd probably say it's the "Spartacus:Blood and Sand" to "Justified's" "Rome".

While I appreciate the continuity of cuts and bruises remaining over several episodes, I still have to think the citizens of Banshee are all relatives of Wolverine though. The beatings Hood and co take every week would leave regular humans crippled for weeks - these guys bounce back up a day later.

I also really like the after credits snapshots - some of them have a massive impact on the show and I suspect a lot of people miss them. They are definitely worth watching.

No idea where season 2 will go. Debating whether to watch it weekly or wait until the full season is available.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived